News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Do you Really think that the TTC is going to bother advertising on these screens? Obviously everyone ignored my post. Like I said before, I don't think the amount of screens in each train are sufficient enough to use as a marketing medium. They aren't even large enough to really catch your eye. The TTC website states that the screens are for passenger information purposes, and I believe that is all they'll put on there.

Even if they do for some reason, I don't see them putting them in anytime soon, because really; are they going to do this for one train at a time?

Could we please stop talking about these screens, I was hoping for an update on their delivery, pictures or a discussion about something else besides these minor features. Of course I can't force or tell anyone what to do, so I'll clarify this is just a humble request.

Last edited:
All I can say is this is very typical of responses you see in Canada; we are not as progressive as other countries - like the U.S.

"ooooooh, let's not even TRY that...", negative negative negative.

How many other big city transit authorities do you need to see using on-car TV screens before we buy into it. I named about 6 or 7 above. I'll bet there are a lot more.

No, I don't think it will be soon before TTC uses these on-car screens to their full potential, like other cities are, and that will be a shame.

What ever happened with GO's TV screen project? As far as I can tell it's been completely abandoned and all the installed screens are deactivated. Sure sounds like it was actually a money loser.

Completely different. Bad configuration - not all eyeballs; not an underground, captive audience - not all eyeballs. (bad comparison)

All I can say is this is very typical of responses you see in Canada; we are not as progressive as other countries - like the U.S.

"ooooooh, let's not even TRY that...", negative negative negative.

How many other big city transit authorities do you need to see using on-car TV screens before we buy into it. I named about 6 or 7 above. I'll bet there are a lot more.

No, I don't think it will be soon before TTC uses these on-car screens to their full potential, like other cities are, and that will be a shame.

Just for the record I wasn't being negative about them. I was stating what I thought, was a more realistic use for them now. They're a cool and useful feature, but the reason they won't be used to their full potential is due to the fact that; in reality you'd need more than three per car, and maybe make them larger.

Personally, we need to be more optimistic about future advancements, and being grateful of them. I just think there are other features worth being excited about. I like the screens, I just think the topic is being blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
Just for the record I wasn't being negative about them. I was stating what I thought, was a more realistic use for them now. They're a cool and usefull feature, but the reason they won't be used to their full potential, is because in reality you'd need more than three per car, and maybe make them larger.

Personally, we need to be more optimistic about future advancements,, and being grateful of them. I just think there are other features worth being excited about. I like the screens, I just think the topic is being blown out of proportion.

I agree with you, there should be more screens per car. And for the record, I didn't bring it up, this time... :). Good luck trying to get an answer on delivery, though!

[
Could we please stop talking about these screens, I was hoping for an update on their delivery, pictures or a discussion about something else besides these minor features. Of course I can't force or tell anyone what to do, so I'll clarify this is just a humble request.
Cars 5401 - 5406 are outside the north entrance to the maintenance building at Wilson yards now.
As for the endless discussion of screens, how about starting a seperate topic for that as several of you seem overly obsessed with the subject.[/QUOTE]

How about starting your own thread all about "delivery dates"?

There aren't enough people who care about these screens to support it's own thread.

Well, if you look over the last few pages, there seems to have been a few people discussing it, and more than anything else...

Question of protocal: how do you capture and quote only a portion of someone's post? Thanks.

Back to the screens discussion...

Check out HK, Beijing, Sao Paolo, NYC, Berlin, Seoul, just to name a few - they all have on-board TV screens and are making a mint using them intelligently.

Here's how screens are 'intelligently' used on the MTR (formerly KCR) West Rail line trains. A news program (with commercials) is looped on the screen, and the sound is played out over the train's PA system (shared with the station announcements). The only way you can get away from the noise is to find the train's "quiet car".

[video=youtube;hWmxFE3TglI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmxFE3TglI[/video]

Back to the screens discussion...

Here's how screens are 'intelligently' used on the MTR (formerly KCR) West Rail line trains. A news program (with commercials) is looped on the screen, and the sound is played out over the train's PA system (shared with the station announcements). The only way you can get away from the noise is to find the train's "quiet car".

[video=youtube;hWmxFE3TglI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmxFE3TglI[/video]

I couldn't agree more with your (sarcastically expressed) point - there should be no audio, except for transit related or emergency messages. But first of all, I don't speak Cantonese (do you?) so i can't tell what's being said on this you tube home grown video, or if it's even coming from this LCD system - it may be just transit-related. I'd also like to see your research on the existence of these "quiet cars", and secondly my research indicates that audio is not the norm. The vast majority of these on-car LCD screen message systems are silent. And they are growing like crazy in number in all the subway systems around the world! Look around!

There's DMG (Digital Media Group), Vision China, etc, and they're hugely into this. They had the Neilson (sp?) media rating service do studies recently, and they concluded the "reach" for this subway medium is way better than conventional TV ads, perhaps 3 times as good.

Last edited:
These silly screens will yield pennies on the dollar for the TTC's budget. Seriously, their entire advertising income is a few tens of millions of dollars out of a billion dllar budget. They'll end up broken and never replaced.

Well, if you look over the last few pages, there seems to have been a few people discussing it, and more than anything else...

I did look at the last few pages, there was over 100 posts about anything but the tv's before someone replied to a post you made about the screens. In fact I'd guess the majority of the conversations about these tv's are initiated by you. There are other parts to these new trains.

I couldn't agree more with your (sarcastically expressed) point - there should be no audio, except for transit related or emergency messages. But first of all, I don't speak Cantonese (do you?) so i can't tell what's being said on this you tube home grown video, or if it's even coming from this LCD system - it may be just transit-related. I'd also like to see your research on the existence of these "quiet cars", and secondly my research indicates that audio is not the norm. The vast majority of these on-car LCD screen message systems are silent. And they are growing like crazy in number in all the subway systems around the world! Look around!

There's DMG (Digital Media Group), Vision China, etc, and they're hugely into this. They had the Neilson (sp?) media rating service do studies recently, and they concluded the "reach" for this subway medium is way better than conventional TV ads, perhaps 3 times as good.

I know that Guangzhou Metro and buses have audio on their screens but you will only notice it during the rush hours when the volume is turned up higher for live streaming news while through the rest of the day the volume is lowered. Shanghai Metro also has screens displaying live streaming news but there is no audio on their trains. Honestly you cannot compare the TTC to other systems in globally especially Asian system as they're practically in a league of their own.

Last edited:
I did look at the last few pages, there was over 100 posts about anything but the tv's before someone replied to a post you made about the screens. In fact I'd guess the majority of the conversations about these tv's are initiated by you. There are other parts to these new trains.

So what if i find this new feature interesting? If you find something else more interesting, then talk about it, instead of criticizing somebody else. BTW Enviro brought the screens up all by himself in post number 1564 (page 105 on Jan 9), and NOT in response to something i posted. My guess is you were a bully in primary school.

Back