News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

How are you finding the screens on the GO Trains? They are completely useless and a waste of space and money as far as I'm concerned.

How are you finding the screens on the GO Trains? They are completely useless and a waste of space and money as far as I'm concerned.

Totally agree with you, nfitz!

see my response in 1627

Originally Posted by Jonny5
What ever happened with GO's TV screen project? As far as I can tell it's been completely abandoned and all the installed screens are deactivated. Sure sounds like it was actually a money loser.

My response was...

"Completely different. Bad configuration - not all eyeballs; not an underground, captive audience - not all eyeballs. (bad comparison)"

I know that Guangzhou Metro and buses have audio on their screens but you will only notice it during the rush hours when the volume is turned up higher for live streaming news while through the rest of the day the volume is lowered. Shanghai Metro also has screens displaying live streaming news but there is no audio on their trains. Honestly you cannot compare the TTC to other systems in globally especially Asian system as they're practically in a league of their own.

Thank you very much for that. That's informative. I still bet that the majority of these on-subway car screens around the world are silent, or they would be considered obtrusive (in most cities, maybe not Asia). I would love to know the stats - in Asia especially - as to how much they are raking in. These companies I mentioned, DMG and Vision China seem to be growing and doing well, which I would think, must mean their transit partners are getting a good bump as well. No?

All the new subway cars being delivered seem to have them.

According to the budget, the TTC made $15M from all advertising last year. Including vehicle wraps and "station domination".

How much they'd "rake in" from the screens would not be a huge quantity. A few million dollars. Unfortunately our system is so cash strapped that that <1% makes a huge difference. We've seen with the new station screens how obnoxious video screens can be; they're way more obtrusive and the added function over the old "Subway Online" screens is dubious at best. . Certainly the clock used to be much nicer.

What I find really annoying is when you're waiting at Pearson, quietly minding your own business, then the TV screens, ordinarily silent, just randomly start blaring ads. I fear the same thing would happen on the subway. It's really irritating.

I couldn't agree more with your (sarcastically expressed) point - there should be no audio, except for transit related or emergency messages. But first of all, I don't speak Cantonese (do you?) so i can't tell what's being said on this you tube home grown video, or if it's even coming from this LCD system - it may be just transit-related. I'd also like to see your research on the existence of these "quiet cars", and secondly my research indicates that audio is not the norm. The vast majority of these on-car LCD screen message systems are silent. And they are growing like crazy in number in all the subway systems around the world! Look around!

I shot the clip. As I do understand Cantonese, I can tell you that what was on the screen and broadcasted over the PA was financial news. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Newsline Express, the name of the news program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsline_Express (it also has info on the "quiet cars")

Hong Kong is notorious for using audio and visuals in transit advertising. A bus version of the screens (on KMB buses) is RoadShow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoadShow). RoadShow also uses the vehicle's PA system for playing audio. RoadShow is arguably even more annoying than Newsline Express, since RoadShow produces mini-shows for a variety of topics (most having to do with Hong Kong pop culture), while Newsline Express is largely a news program.

On the subject of failed TV transit advertising in the GTA, might I add the screens on Viva buses? I would say that 80% of the time the screens are not turned on. When the screens are turned I only see two ads - either something from the City of Vaughan (including a Vaughan fire safety quiz), or a Pizza Pizza ad.

On the subject of failed TV transit advertising in the GTA, might I add the screens on Viva buses? I would say that 80% of the time the screens are not turned on. When the screens are turned I only see two ads - either something from the City of Vaughan (including a Vaughan fire safety quiz), or a Pizza Pizza ad.

Just think, one day we'll be able to have the "we want it" ad's playing on loop all day, with a sprinkle of stuffed crust pizza ads. What a blessing.

I find your response typically Canadian - negative.

Who's forcing you to stay in this negative country?

Please, please keep this thread civil and on-topic. There will be repercussions for continued violation of the spirit of this forum.

I shot the clip. As I do understand Cantonese, I can tell you that what was on the screen and broadcasted over the PA was financial news. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Newsline Express, the name of the news program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsline_Express (it also has info on the "quiet cars")

Hong Kong is notorious for using audio and visuals in transit advertising. A bus version of the screens (on KMB buses) is RoadShow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoadShow). RoadShow also uses the vehicle's PA system for playing audio. RoadShow is arguably even more annoying than Newsline Express, since RoadShow produces mini-shows for a variety of topics (most having to do with Hong Kong pop culture), while Newsline Express is largely a news program.

Thank you wylie for that. I checked out those wiki sites, and they were very informative! I do hope TTC, unlike those Asian transit authorities, has planned no audio for our new on-board LCD TV screens which will apparently be on our New TTC Subway Cars. I just think its a pretty good captive market for us to capitalize on if it's done intelligently.

Who's forcing you to stay in this negative country?

Thank you Shon! We don't need bullying here.

I do hope TTC, unlike those Asian transit authorities, has planned no audio for our new on-board LCD TV screens which will apparently be on our New TTC Subway Cars. I just think its a pretty good captive market for us to capitalize on if it's done intelligently.

I can't imagine that not being the case. People nearly threw a shit-fit when Miller ran those Save Transit City messages in the stations. Also, in the long term, TTC riders aren't generally as captive as they are in other cities. Stock quotes and entertainment news blaring in my face would have me shopping for a scooter pretty quickly.

i can't imagine that not being the case. People nearly threw a shit-fit when miller ran those save transit city messages in the stations. Also, in the long term, ttc riders aren't generally as captive as they are in other cities. Stock quotes and entertainment news blaring in my face would have me shopping for a scooter pretty quickly.

lol:D. I'm with you - as long as there's no audio - video only would be ok, right?

lol:D. I'm with you - as long as there's no audio - video only would be ok, right?

Would I as a passenger mind if they ran videos? Meh...don't care. As an involved citizen and transit enthusiast do I think they should run videos? I really don't care. If the accountants say it's worthwhile and the riders don't mind then, whatever.

the screens on GO Trains are not GO Transit's concern. They were set-up and run by the marketing company. I requested that service delays, weather, time etc be shown on screen but GO Transit has no control over that.

Back