some sort of cruel reverse uno for the building next door painting their brick white?
Yes the irony is palpable.

It's funny though - that picture makes it look like we're only capable of making buildings in varying shades of grey lol..

I wanna see cybertron architecture - buildings of the future and all we can make is precast lego block rectangles.. disappointing..

it's so commie block there isn't any fancy brick work or window arches..

I am gonna be super happy when/if this era of architecture, or blockitecture, dies.

Yes the irony is palpable.

It's funny though - that picture makes it look like we're only capable of making buildings in varying shades of grey lol..

I wanna see cybertron architecture - buildings of the future and all we can make is precast lego block rectangles.. disappointing..

it's so commie block there isn't any fancy brick work or window arches..

I am gonna be super happy when/if this era of architecture, or blockitecture, dies.
This could have been nice with real brick, even without fancy lintels or arches. Modern Dutch, and Colombian use of brick is amazing, yet simple. Often just rectangular, sometimes with an inset layer.

Two buildings we saw in Bogotá:
PXL_20230205_214727770.MP.jpg
IMG_20230204_150426_445.jpg
PXL_20230207_231714611.jpg

let's be honest - it's the white on the first/angles and curves, and the brick inset on the second that makes it stand out and not feel ellen faircloud-esque, not so much the brick itself.

For the third one it's the giant tree for me and the shrubs on the balconies LOL - by itself the third would have looked too stark for me.

Also the rounded part of the brick on the first one is amazing - they usually sit the brick upwards for those so its easier to get the angle gradations.

Personally I am not a fan of 100% brick - it needs some sorta stone accent or different coloured brick, usually yellow, to compliment it. Stone + brick is great though - helps to break the eye up so it doesn't just feel like this massive commie slab. Even the old factories had stone accents, mainly because brick couldn't hold up windows on its own so they acted like support lintels, but ended up looking great in the process. Now that we no longer need stone for that people try to pass entire walls of brick off as chic and imo it just doesn't add up. I hate finishes that don't look like they support the structure and are just slapped on. The second one looks great because it's uniform and because it has insets and looks like the brick actually supports the structure. Perception is key. Core urban would be proud of that one. And are those chimney stack or jut cleverly disguised ventilation shafts? If it's the latter well done.. I always applaud clever hiding of such things..

That blocked in window though.. tsk tsk..

I also personally hate the odd shaped window stuff going on in the third picture. Just makes it look alien. Thank god for that tree lol..

Last edited:
This still looks horrible.

Now the only thing anyone will ever notice is the half bricked in window - it will become the "half bricked in window" building over anything else it originally strove to be.

Now the building looks tired, like it has half-open jughead eyes.

Last edited:
Photo from a friend's balcony. From here you can see that there's a stairway leading to the weird underground level. Not sure why that is, or what the recessed level even is if not semi-recessed residential. Also still not sure why some windows appear bricked over, or what the roof level may or may not be animated for.

432476489_756784066166633_5091191385715230149_n.jpg

Back