X2_June18-09.jpg

not sure why architects think the random assortment of strips of bright colours or slits of windows now counts as articulation. Everyone frickin does it. So lazy. Glad GG dropped it for X2

The problem with coloured glass is that it doesn't seem all that bright once it is up on the building. M5V is a good example. The coloured pieces are barely noticeable, even on a bright day. The painted metal on X is much more visible, although it only seems to make an impact from up close.

Last edited:
M5VcjwP1220004.jpg

dwynix3, why do you think that the coloured panels are being dropped from X2? That's not the information we have. Meanwhile, you seem to be categorically stating that the coloured panels are a problem, but remember, that's just your opinion, and not a universally shared one.

X2Podium.jpg

In regards to 159 Wellesley, it looks like they plan to include a combination of coloured glass and spandrel panels, but this is just a preliminary rendering, and at this early stage I would not consider them the major selling point yet. Wait for final renderings and the ad campaign to start. Much could change still.

The problem with coloured glass is that it doesn't seem all that bright once it is up on the building. M5V is a good example. The coloured pieces are barely noticeable, even on a bright day. The painted metal on X is much more visible, although it only seems to make an impact from up close.

Spandrel glass panels are as visible as any metal spandrel with the advantage that it won't fade off into nothing is less than a decade. M5V incorporates the colours in the vision glass.

Ok, this illustration along with GG's published final rendering in the Newcondos Guide attest to the omission of the color panels. My broker buddy confirms it, but then again everything could be changed at the last min.

Never insinuated the hatred for these to be universially shared, it's one man's hope that these cutesy play on color are mere short-lived fads or else we'll all be living in technicolor dream world by 2020.

x2-render.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, this illustration along with GG's published final rendering in the Newcondos Guide attest to the omission of the color panels. My broker buddy confirms it, but then again everything could be changed at the last min.

Never insinuated the hatred for these to be universially shared, it's one man's hope that these cutesy play on color are mere short-lived fads or else we'll all be living in technicolor dream world by 2020.

well it's also a nod to Mondrian.

What's with this recent fascination over multicolored panels/windows on new condos? These architectural fads won't age well, think of the space age design trends on those 60's apts, they look absolutely hideous to the modern eye. even GG has done away with the color elements on X2. Good luck selling a unit with this many vision impairments. Just add a Lava lamp and shag carpet you'll have yourself a pretty groovy psychedelic swinging pad baby! Wow all the colors!!

Yeah, I'm sorry but the 1960s space-age details on some of the older apartments look fantastic. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hAr4UcNoCRM/S_gTWXBoZ9I/AAAAAAAAALQ/J_K3k599I_s/s1600/35WalmerEntrance.jpg. A lot of them could use some TLC, but the great designs still shine through.

Well, the loss of the colour slashes on X2 is a shame IMO.

Not particularly, but I appreciate good architecture from all era.

I feel this way about the incredible and gravity-defying concrete UFO's at 103/105 WestLodge (Wynn Towers). The towers would never have drawn me in for closer examination if it weren't for these artistic flourishes. If architects restrain themselves from incorporating or inventing design flourishes that might offend, they risk their buildings fading into a bland mash.

Exception to my tolerance of colour: the YMCA building on Edward. That building is a log in my eye.

What if the podium units had some colour, like so, and the rest of the building remained without colour?

x2-render1.jpg

Back