This is going to look very interesting... waiting for more glass to go up to see the effect better.

^ive seen it before in a pic taken on a cloudy day, it doesnot look like reflection.

Photos taken February 23, 14:30.

Finally some glass above the ground floorView attachment 381634View attachment 381635View attachment 381636!!
and-i-oop-lgbtq.gif

This will be the mother of all the green glass structures in Toronto when finished, with baby bump midway up. Well, of our tallest/most significant central office towers, we have black (TD), silver (was Commerce), blue (is CIBC), gold (RBC), red (Scotia), white (BMO), gray (Brookfield)… so now we'll have green too… to go with all the green glass spandrelfests around town.

I notice a trend from rendering to construction where colour is concerned...

Windows depicted as silver/frosty = green glass.

Cladding that is earth tone dark = gray, usually spandrel.

Or in the case of Nobu's gold tints = a hint of turd tone.

...one could suggest that it's difficult depict that accurately in rendering with current technology for the plausible denial. I personally thinks it's more to do with hiding the fact that the developers went with more value based materials for a better wallet bang. /sigh

I recall a similar green glass panic when the lower level glazing of E&Y tower went in, and that turned out great. The green tint was hardly visible there once more glazing went it. It now appears to be more clear/blue, depending on the lighting.

I recall a similar green glass panic when the lower level glazing of E&Y tower went in, and that turned out great. The green tint was hardly visible there once more glazing went it. It now appears to be more clear/blue, depending on the lighting.
Same thinking with The Well, although still pretty green it’s not as bad now that it’s complete.

I notice a trend from rendering to construction where colour is concerned...

Windows depicted as silver/frosty = green glass.

Cladding that is earth tone dark = gray, usually spandrel.

Or in the case of Nobu's gold tints = a hint of turd tone.

...one could suggest that it's difficult depict that accurately in rendering with current technology for the plausible denial. I personally thinks it's more to do with hiding the fact that the developers went with more value based materials for a better wallet bang. /sigh

There no issue with rendering 'tech' per se (render engines can simulate everything based on the laws of reality in near real-time now, including caustics), and glass can pretty easily be made to follow all the details from a materials sheet if those details are provided to the artist (colour, reflectivity, undertones, even material warping are all straight forward to set up), but all developer clients give different levels of detail and take different amounts of control.

(Always take marketing material at face value anyways, as its first priority isn't really to be realistic, usually the goal is *shiny*)

I could give a few scenarios, but I have to imagine for each developer it's very different as I doubt the preferences they are targeting would be the same.

Last edited:
There no issue with rendering 'tech' per se (render engines can simulate everything based on the laws of reality in near real-time now, including caustics), and glass can pretty easily be made to follow all the details from a materials sheet if those details are provided to the artist (colour, reflectivity, undertones, even material warping are all straight forward to set up), but all developer clients give different levels of detail and take different amounts of control.

(Always take marketing material at face value anyways, as its first priority isn't really to be realistic, usually the goal is *shiny*)

I could give a few scenarios, but I have to imagine for each developer it's very different as I doubt the preferences they are targeting would be the same.
It's when that shininess begins to distract from what we'll actually be getting becomes problematic...especially when it tries to hide what it will be in the obvious. /sigh

^ive seen it before in a pic taken on a cloudy day, it doesnot look like reflection.

I'm pretty sure mirrors still work when it's cloudy out...

Other than that one shot (that I do think is getting some green from across the street) it seems to be a pretty neutral blue glass. We'll to wait to see until there's glass on other sides of the building to really get a sense of what colour this is.

I'm pretty sure mirrors still work when it's cloudy out...

Other than that one shot (that I do think is getting some green from across the street) it seems to be a pretty neutral blue glass. We'll to wait to see until there's glass on other sides of the building to really get a sense of what colour this is.
It definitely is getting the green from the west side, if you look at post#2257 you can see the reflection on the west side is green and on the south side it's not.

Back