I must chime in and say I like it too. Of course there will be people here who dislike it, it's almost impossible for any building to please everybody. It will be either "too box-like" or "too different", or sometimes both at the same time.

I must chime in and say I like it too. Of course there will be people here who dislike it, it's almost impossible for any building to please everybody. It will be either "too box-like" or "too different", or sometimes both at the same time.

Yeah, this is freakin gorgeous, throw in Fosters Oxford Place, and Gehrys Mirvish Towers, and we're finally looking forward to some decent architecture in town.
Of course, the peanut gallery and wannabe architects will always have some thing to say:rolleyes:

errr enough of this ! I love the renderings as well, though a little refinement is in order. But I hope this isn't just a pipe dream, or something decades off !

Come on taal, you know that when something of this magnitude comes out, they are in the midst of landing a lead tenant:D

I don't know...16 York had a nice render also, as did RAC for years, and BCE3 from back in the day. Although I hope you are right. Definitly an interesting tower, and I like it too, just not sure its an outstanding design as many has claimed.

Not sure I like the pods in the middle either, seems a trend that is happening a lot these days in res, and its moved over to comm also now...

Just in fact spoke with my uncle for the first time in a few months who happens to work as a VP for Cadillac Fairview. And I can exclusively confirm they ARE working with a large tenant which is in talks with CF to lease over 50% of the building. Nothing is signed, and the tenant is currently running their own numbers to see if such a move is economically warranted at this time, but they have expressed a STRONG interest. That's all he could tell me without breaking confidentiality.

Last edited:
Interesting info, Travis, I wish your uncle and CF the best of luck!!

Interesting. I wonder if it is the same tenant as I alluded to in Oct 2012. This building was being specifically designed/built for a tenant CF was trying to lure.

It's a large multinational with existing operations in the GTA, no industry as it would give it away and they were looking at leasing over 600k sqf of space (about half this building). Interesting...

If they are able to secure a lead tenant so quickly, would (and could) CF add more floors? It wouldn't take much to see this beauty pass the 300 meter mark.

Now we have the Formal Manatee (156 Front W has a bow tie!), the pile of cold cuts (M+G), the chest of drawers (River City 3), the Ice Cube (Berkeley Field House) and the Machete (L Tower).

Hard to see what tenant this is ... if it really good take half the building ... I don't have a good feeling about it ... well, just in the sense its most likely an existing tenant in the core - and all this is ... a giant relocation (within the core) ... which is ok actually, I guess it gets us another building, but just not more jobs.

Though it could be like Telus ... which from what I recall located offices all over the GTA (or maybe just outer 416) to the core.

Thomson Reuters seems like a possibility. It's a multinational with a Toronto connection (the majority owner, The Woodbridge Company, is based in Toronto), and there aren't a tonne of multinational mass media companies, so naming the industry would probably give it away. They've also got three offices in Toronto: 59,000 square feet at Bay Adelaide West (expiring in 2020), 75,000 square feet (as Carswell Thompson Professional Publishing) at 2075 Kennedy Road, and 77,000 square feet at 245 Bartley Drive (which looks like an industrial building). That's still only a little over 200,000 square feet, so they'd have to be moving offices from elsewhere (Montreal?, New York?).

edit: HSBC also seems like it would satisfy all the clues. Hell, so could ScotiaBank. It's a multinational too after all.

Last edited:
Definitely not HSBC. Their presence is just too small here, so unless they're looking to massively increase their exposure in the Canadian market and essentially transform their Canadian business model they will be confined to a few floors of various anonymous office parks throughout the GTA the way they are now.

Existing core tenant? My guess would be CIBC. They are so spread out over so many towers around downtown when compared to the other banks that it's borderline comical. Whenever I have a meeting with CIBC reps it seems to be in a different building every time. Just a guess though so take it with a grain of salt.

Definitely not HSBC. Their presence is just too small here, so unless they're looking to massively increase their exposure in the Canadian market and essentially transform their Canadian business model they will be confined to a few floors of various anonymous office parks throughout the GTA the way they are now.

Existing core tenant? My guess would be CIBC. They are so spread out over so many towers around downtown when compared to the other banks that it's borderline comical. Whenever I have a meeting with CIBC reps it seems to be in a different building every time. Just a guess though so take it with a grain of salt.

In Oct 2012 I was told this is not a Canadian company. We'll have to wait and see (it might not even be the same rumoured tenant).

Back