Apparently a number of UT forum posts just got deleted because of a glitch.

When I first saw the AS+GG proposal, I always wondered what would happen if the residential component from the original design had been incorporated into this building.
Using the magic of photoshop, the formal manatee is now 26 floors higher!
This conceptual addition would raise the tower from 54 to 80 floors, and from 265 to around 360 meters, making it taller than the FCP with it's antenna.
156 Front conceptual expansion.jpg

The additional bow tie at the top would make a great amenity space for the hypothetical condos below.

Attachments

• 156 Front conceptual expansion.jpg
    156 Front conceptual expansion.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,869
I don't believe there are any planning guidelines that provide for this. Is this just speculation on your part?

No - obviously sub-URBAN knows better than anyone else on Urbantoronto, in the Planning Department, on City Council, and in the OMB. sub-URBAN - congratulations on your omnipotent knowledge in this regard.

We build here based on economic principles, not misplaced machismo.

I was talking about risk assumption.

Had Oxford been willing to accept some risk and proceeded with its project at the convention centre, they would have likely sucked up the majority of the potential tenants now focusing on a number of smaller projects. Unfortunately that's not the Canadian way - Oxford was too timid to proceed and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Anything as tall as a 90 storey building would block views from the CN Tower- you'd be staring at a wall of glass. Nobody wants to pay to view a wall of glass. I don't know for sure if the city has specific guidelines for this, but I hope they do. I'm sure there are other great places for super-talls. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

^ many cities have buildings with observatory decks right next to each other which enables them to make taller towers without city council chopping the heights.

The Oxford Place Twin towers might actually cause a problem for visitors to the CN Tower (though they would be just as cool to look at as the cityscape beyond in my opinion). 156 Front W is over 60m shorter and sufficiently far away from the tower as the not effect views to much.

Anyway, in five years there will be tall buildings far more interesting than the old bank towers to look at from the CN Tower.

The Oxford Place Twin towers might actually cause a problem for visitors to the CN Tower (though they would be just as cool to look at as the cityscape beyond in my opinion). 156 Front W is over 60m shorter and sufficiently far away from the tower as the not effect views to much.

I doubt any supertalls will be built around the CN Tower, when all said and done, the Oxford Towers will be about the same height as 156 Front give or take a couple meters

For what reasons for shrinking it do you think they might have, beyond the fact that it will block about 1/20th of the view from the CN tower? Oh, the horror!

For what reasons for shrinking it do you think they might have, beyond the fact that it will block about 1/20th of the view from the CN tower? Oh, the horror!

Well I don't think the city would be fond of two 1070ft./326m structures nearby to the CN Tower,s 1122ft./342m observation deck, but then again you never know?
Id rather see 300m+ bldgs., built around Front/Yonge, Gerrard/Yonge, Bloor/Yonge

For how long things are going to stay the same. No doubt, building something 300m+ would ruin the beautiful view of CN tower but its been a long time we need to get something tall. In some cities buildings with observatory decks are build right next to each other so Toronto could do the same.

I don’t think the city will shrink the Oxford towers - I think Oxford will.

Again, it’s all about risk and Canadian developers (And/or their financiers) don’t/won’t assume as much risk as other around the globe.

156 Front is a perfect example. Are there any sites in the city more strategically located? Why just 54 floors? Certainly the site could accomodate more.

Last edited:
Oxford place towers won't affect the CN Tower! The main pod is still taller than the twin towers. Also the view from the CN Tower will look much better because the twin towers alone look ten times better than the box filled financial district! Personally I think the twin towers will make the skyline look stunning!

Can this get a connection to the Northwest PATH under Front St via Citibank Place? I think that would be more useful than 10 extra floors. The balconies still make me puke. I can't think of an uglier design than this. I hope they come forward with something else. :(

Back