the image of the rendering that was posted on the previous page now appears as a broken link. is anyone able to repost it?

This report details how a working group was formed to cooperate with the developer. Kind of interesting to see how the project evolved.

From the final report, approved by the city:

• The applicant proposes 115 hotel rooms. The unit mix proposed for the residential condominium is eight bachelor units (8%), 62 one-bedroom units (63%), 19 two-bedroom units (19%) and 10 three-bedroom units (10%).

• The proposal provides a total of 100 parking spaces in a four and a half level underground garage including 77 spaces for the residential condominium, 6 spaces for visitors and 17 spaces for the hotel. The proposal also provides 116 bicycle parking spaces for the hotel and residential condominium.

• No windows are proposed to be facing west, although the elevation will be clad in a combination of spandel (opaque) glass and pre-cast and/or metal panels to give the appearance of a windowed wall.

• Any future redevelopment of the 990 Bay Street site in accordance with the current zoning by-law may require significant variances for parking, loading, amenity space and the possible acquisition of a portion of the existing city owned north/south laneway.

• The proposed development is located just east of the University of Toronto Secondary Plan and the Provincial buildings. City Planning staff have requested a gateway feature into the University of Toronto along St. Joseph Street. The applicant, in consultation with Planning staff, has designed preliminary public art features as well as improved landscaping and a pedestrian weather protected colonnade within the 6.9 metre setback from St. Joseph Street.

• No windows are proposed to be facing west...

What?! Why?

*Okay, looking at the renders I get it. But now I don't get the open triangular area on the podium at the
southwest corner of Bay Street and St. Joseph Street

**Okay, looking at the site plan I get the open triangular area too.

Last edited:
  • The applicant proposes 115 hotel rooms. The unit mix proposed for the residential condominium is eight bachelor units (8%), 62 one-bedroom units (63%), 19 two-bedroom units (19%) and 10 three-bedroom units (10%).

• The proposal provides a total of 100 parking spaces in a four and a half level underground garage including 77 spaces for the residential condominium, 6 spaces for visitors and 17 spaces for the hotel. The proposal also provides 116 bicycle parking spaces for the hotel and residential condominium.

115 hotel rooms and only 17 parking spaces? Wow. I guess that they intend to target visitors who will be taking taxis or public transit while in Toronto, but it seems like an unnecessary narrowing of their client base to me.

115 hotel rooms and only 17 parking spaces? Wow. I guess that they intend to target visitors who will be taking taxis or public transit while in Toronto, but it seems like an unnecessary narrowing of their client base to me.

They'll probably be marketing it like a boutique hotel, targeting those coming over on Porter. This doesn't seem too surprising to me. They may miss out on the parents-travelling-to-see-their-kids-at-U of T set though.

This is a really interesting project. especially with the idea of a hotel.

Not sure if this render has been posted on this thread before but i think this tower looks nice. the site could support a taller/larger tower though.:
Hilton-Garden-Inn-_300_.jpg

http://www.can-lodgingnews.com/artm...very_first_branded_hotel_in_Elliot_Lake.shtml

From the website:
Not your average I-95 Hilton Garden Inn

Hilton Garden Inn, 1000 Bay St., Toronto, mixed use with condos
TORONTO— It’s not the typical Hilton Garden Inn you’d find on Interstate 95 on the way down to Florida.

Located one block north of Bay and Wellesley, right next to iconic restaurant Bistro 990, it is an urban version of the brand, complete with the condos needed to help finance new-builds in high-priced city markets, and some retail thrown in for good measure.

“The building is designed vertically, with the bottom floor containing the lobbies of both the hotel and condo, and some retail along Bay street,” says Jeremiah Edmonds, project manager.

Formerly a parking lot, the footprint of the building is 100 x 100 square feet — not a big site.

The second floor will house the hotel restaurant and lounge, while the pool and fitness area will be found on the third level.

Floors 4-13 will accommodate the hotel’s 115 rooms, while floors 14-32 will house 99 condo units ranging in price from $350,000 to $750,000, or about $700 per square foot.

“It’s not just another condo,” says Edmonds. “It creates employment in the area, and there are different uses at different times of the day. It’s a good model because the hotel and condo share services, such as the pool, restaurant and lounge.”

Sales should start this fall, with shovels in the ground early next spring and Dec. 2012 occupancy.

A 3 star hotel like this will do really well, Toronto has more than enough high end hotels. If i was a condo owner i know for a fact i wouldn't want to share the pool with a bunch of hotel guests.

Last edited by a moderator:
just tweeted by @buzzbuzzhome...........described as a 'rumour'..

This just in....

990 Bay Street, and the parking lot next door, was just bought by Cresford.

And, want to hear something crazy.... launching September 2011. Yes. Launching before 42 Charles

I think so, steveve...

I think so, steveve...

that is 100% out of left field.... though now that i think of it, kinda makes sense (sorta like what they just did at the Canada tower site), honestly, i want to see something much taller here than the old 100mish proposal. Considering since U condos are already gonna be huge/raise the bar, i could see a 150m tower going here. (anything taller is a bonus!)

Such a great location for a new skyscraper/point tower.

Back