Woolworth’s building to get a makeover

_2queen_st_w.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

That Star article was odd, breathlessly reporting old news, and with a rendering that barely shows the heritage building.

Though it would probably be the first time most readers have heard of this project. As long as they get the details of the story right can’t fault legacy media for being slow.

AoD

I've put that rendering along with two others into the database file. One of them, you'll see is fairly hilariously cheap, without even an attempt to remove some of the steel structure under the old pedestrian bridge over Queen that was related to the streetcar wires, while the other—now in the front spot—does show the latest version of the heritage facade restoration. (You can compare that with the initial rendering in spot number 4.)

In this poorly-lit picture you can see that 2 Queen West is completely shrouded right now. Also, a big portion of the ground-floor wall along Yonge St is knocked out and the interior of the building is gutted.

E2D0525B-04EF-48A4-9880-EBC364FD824D.jpeg

Attachments

• E2D0525B-04EF-48A4-9880-EBC364FD824D.jpeg
    E2D0525B-04EF-48A4-9880-EBC364FD824D.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 1,263
Last edited by a moderator:
Crane on the upper most level of the TEC parking garage. I assume it's for the 2 Queen St W project.

2N3S4Lt

Interesting, and probably most likely for 2 Queen West.

However - my recollection of the background details when the Eaton Centre was being built - in two stages - footings, foundations and support columns were put in place for a potential four towers. The first two built, at the time of the original construction of the respective phases of the centre, were the tower at the north end of the Eaton Centre, 1 Dundas West, and the CF Tower on Queen Street. The third tower to be built, 250 Yonge Street came later, quite a while after the shopping mall was opened, and was built on top of the existing parking garage, with the front entrance being carved out of the existing retail space backing on Yonge Street.

My understanding is that the fourth set of footings and support columns, for the fourth and final office tower, were built at the south end of the Yonge Street parkade - which would make it at the approximate location of this crane base.

Anyone with more insight as to what is happening here - or knowledge of the original building design and construction in this part of the complex?

Last edited:

Back