This used to be “my office” back when I was a shipper-receiver working at the ACC (Apparel Clearance Centre), back in the early 80s. By then the building had already fallen on hard times and was very dowdy both inside and out… the retail operation occupying it was pretty bare-bones. But the view from those windows was great, fantastic for people watching. Very happy to see the exterior being restored and the building given a new lease on life - the old girl deserves some love.
QueenYonge-March1955.png

This used to be “my office” back when I was a shipper-receiver working at the ACC (Apparel Clearance Centre), back in the early 80s. By then the building had already fallen on hard times and was very dowdy both inside and out… the retail operation occupying it was pretty bare-bones. But the view from those windows was great, fantastic for people watching. Very happy to see the exterior being restored and the building given a new lease on life - the old girl deserves some love.View attachment 466907
Ha! ACC! My dad would take me there shopping for clothes when I was a kid. He bought me jeans that looked permanently stained from urine and these weird for kid boys bikini underpants that dissolved after a few washes. So many memories. So much therapy.

On a side note, I had no idea the central column of the Eaton Centre parkade ramp was hollow. Looking down into it, I was reminded of shots looking down through the center of the Johannesburg's Ponte Tower.

View attachment 471938

And looks like a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Honestly the Eaton Centre parkade is a complete waste of real estate, considering how Class B the office towers are especially.

AoD

And looks like a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Honestly the Eaton Centre parkade is a complete waste of real estate, considering how Class B the office towers are especially.

AoD
For a company that value-engineers the crap out of their malls, you've gotta wonder if anyone at CF has ever done a calculation on return-per-square-foot on their parking vs. retail.

On a side note, I had no idea the central column of the Eaton Centre parkade ramp was hollow. Looking down into it, I was reminded of shots looking down through the center of the Johannesburg's Ponte Tower.

View attachment 471938
Funny that no one bothered to take the forming plywood out...

So does the solid wall (of spandrel) facing west suggest that they'll build on top of (expand) the Harry Rosen store space?
I would also really want to see this happen as it creates a hole in the streetscape. I would like to see them try and build a residential tower above the Harry Rosen space. It would be interesting but if they do anything, it will most likely be a extension of the office space next door.

Back