Why should Cadillac Fairview have to provide parking here or elsewhere for that matter? If you need parking find it in a lot nearby or find somewhere else to live. No one is being forced to live here.

You really think so many people have such limited lives? No friends, family, or jobs outside of downtown, no desire to go up north... no need for a vehicle for grocery shopping etc...

They do but so what? Many other options beyond having to provide parking in this very difficult location.

Why should Cadillac Fairview have to provide parking here or elsewhere for that matter? If you need parking find it in a lot nearby or find somewhere else to live. No one is being forced to live here.

I don't disagree. If they think it won't be a problem with prospective tenants, they can certainly go for it.

I can certainly understand a building with 8 stories having no parking, but 65 stories? It seems a bit crazy to me. I wonder if they'll have trouble keeping the building occupied.

The Residences at RCMI is 42 stories with no parking

It's a rental. Unless it's high-end but won't this place be full of students and young people starting out? This place will be a revolving door.

This building will be filled with students and young professionals, neither of which have cars (at least in the current generation, no one does). I live in a rental building in the village (with a slightly older crowd than this building will have) and our parking garage, which has approx 1 space per unit, is never greater than 30-40% full. Requiring parking is regressive- but I think KWT is just using it for leverage.

"Why should Cadillac Fairview have to provide parking here or elsewhere for that matter? If you need parking find it in a lot nearby or find somewhere else to live. No one is being forced to live here."

Edward, this is an interesting philosophical argument. If we say that the city has no place in intervening for parking requirements than why would the city have any need to intervene in other non-health and safety issues like affordable units, architecture, accessability etc. The argument could be made that if you don't like the architecture, if you can't afford to live there, if ...... just find another place to live.

At any rate I'm challenging the idea of no parking as being progressive because I see the potential problems based on my experience. If anything I should be joining you guys in arguing for the city to drop the requirements because I stand to benefit. Also, my partner has a unit in a nearby building. Maybe she should consider investing in a few parking spots ;)

why would the city have any need to intervene in other non-health and safety issues like affordable units, architecture, accessability etc. The argument could be made that if you don't like the architecture, if you can't afford to live there, if ...... just find another place to live.

Accessibility and affordable units are health and safety issues.

horrible way to reboot this thread, but I fear this may be dead :( rezoning has apparently been withdrawn.

*APPLICATION WITHDRAWN AT THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST* The proposed redevelopment of the site involves the construction of a 65 Storey rental residential tower (a 60 storey tower atop a 5 storey heritage podium base), which will be reconstructed to depict the appearance of the original heritage building. 580 dwelling units are being proposed with a commercial component.

Too bad, but hopefully something will still be developed here. Perhaps another development firm will take a shot at the site now that a concept has been visualized.

maybe they know something we don't

I don't know anything - but I've been wondering the fate of this project since C-F bought the Bay Building and Simpsons Tower. I would like to think that now that they have a bigger footprint, they would want to develop a more holistic plan for the entire Eaton Centre, which now includes a giant extension to the south. I believe C-F is now committed to rebuilding the glass bridge which is awfully close to part of the proposed tower.

Hopefully we'll see something else materialize!

Back