I think the most obvious mall extension would be through Queen Station (perhaps changing it slightly before the gates) and into the concourse level of Hudson's Bay and somehow leading up to two different department stores upstairs.

Is there an option for the Eaton Centre to add another retail level under the Atruim? Raise the roof?

rdaner:

Can't see it happening, given most of the retail ends at ground and/or second floor. Conceivably they can remove the parking garage along Yonge and replace it with a retail structure, but would they?

AoD

I wonder if there is a way to continue the mall underground, connect it to the Bay and open up the street level. Expanding the above ground link is only going to make that space more oppressive and less urban. Continuing the canopy would probably look tacky and clashes with the heritage structure.

AoD

.. or it could bring the atrium full circle...

lom-mi-galleria.jpg

http://www.officeoftourism.org/img/europe/ita/lom-mi-galleria.jpg

rdaner:

Can't see it happening, given most of the retail ends at ground and/or second floor. Conceivably they can remove the parking garage along Yonge and replace it with a retail structure, but would they?

AoD

Cadillac Fairview Retail does not (did not) want to give up any of the existing parking space for the mall to Cadillac Fairview Residential for the rental tower, so there's no chance of them replacing a level of parking for more stores.

Last edited:
i42:

Too bad, there is so much untapped potential vis-a-vis using the space for a parking garage. Guess they don't have much choice given the needs of the two office towers.

AoD

Cadillac Fairview Retail does not (did not) want to give up any of the existing parking space for the mall to Cadillac Fairview Residential for the rental tower, so there's no chance of them replacing a level of parking for more stores.

I don't necessarily agree.
- Giving up retail parking for residential parking - to CF Retail, that's a potential reduction in convenience for shoppers and may be a reduction in parking revenue (depending on payment structure).
- Giving up retail parking for more stores - to CF Retail, that's a potential reduction in convenience for shoppers and may be an increase in retail Rent (base rent and percentage rent).
It may depend on the proportion of shoppers that arrive by car and whether the increase in rent revenue offsets the inconvenince factor/drop in traffic for those arriving by car.

WRT office parking versus retail parking, that's just the ratio, or allocation between the two - since it's unlikely that all parking is presently used for the office space.

I don't think it means anything, but I did notice on the floor plan that it still says "2 Queen West Tower". And the color of it is pink, which in the legend is for office towers. Perhaps changed their mind and it's now going to be office?

According to Skyscraperpage, this one is dead and the site will instead be home to a bigger walkway between the Eaton Centre and the Bay across the street. A shame.

It's not dead, it's pining.

Since acquiring The Bay, Eaton Centre alterations and expansion is being rethought. There are no finalized plans yet. A wider bridge to The Bay/Saks would not preclude this tower, just alter it.

I was sooooo disappointed when I heard that the application for this tower was withdrawn. :(

Back