The MZO for Eglinton Centre which allows developers to side-step many municipal guidelines, was not well received by anybody; even some developers made concerned noises about what their neighbour developers might put up next to their property.

In short, the province stepping in without some thought about long-term impact may not result in a high standard of living.

Reducing SFH zoning, particularly where infrastructure is overbuilt (transit stations, etc.) is beneficial. Reducing natural-light and minimum size requirements as the MZO did isn't helpful; any step toward Hong Kong style cage apartments is a step too far.

I even question whether Harrington House "Flex-Plus" style housing (561 Sherbourne), where they take a normal 1-bed and split it into several 95sqft units with shared bathroom/kitchen, should be encouraged for long-term accommodation. Rooming houses are useful for a few months, but should include access to some form of assistance program.

Regardless, the city/province has to find a way to speed up development and get more of it. We all know it's a supply and demand issue, so they've got to find a way to fix the supply.

The MZO for Eglinton Centre which allows developers to side-step many municipal guidelines, was not well received by anybody; even some developers made concerned noises about what their neighbour developers might put up next to their property.

Do you mean the Ministerial amendments to OPA 405 (Yonge Eglinton Secondary Plan, from the study called Midtown in Focus)? The City chose to submit that as a conformity exercise, meaning it can't be appealed once approved, but was subject to Ministry revisions. Same for OPA 406 (Downtown Plan, from the study called TO Core). Both of these were widely well-received among consultants and developers because they lightened the most restrictive policies (e.g. changing "no net new shadow" on certain parks, to shadow will be "adequately limited", and some other important changes) and also because they increased height and density permissions generally.

These were not MZOs. MZOs are regulations to the Planning Act (can view current ones here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p13)

The parking change caught my attention...............

1645799300668.png

Note that Carsharing went from 5 spaces to 0 spaces.

I must say I fail to see the logic in that.

The parking change caught my attention...............

View attachment 381878

Note that Carsharing went from 5 spaces to 0 spaces.

I must say I fail to see the logic in that.

That is a shame. My previous condo had 2 car share spots, and they were both used quite a lot. I guess it helped that it had a big inner courtyard where the two cars were parked. And so garage access wasn't even necessary.

A question: are developers required to designate and put in or arrange for spaces for charging stations for electrical vehicles? There are three EV stations in our building and they are busy. My guess is that they will become even more widely needed.

A question: are developers required to designate and put in or arrange for spaces for charging stations for electrical vehicles? There are three EV stations in our building and they are busy. My guess is that they will become even more widely needed.

Ontario legislation was passed (2019?) requiring condo corps allow parking space owners to install EV chargers at their own expense. Most of the quotes I've seen have been in the $20k to $40k range to install conduit/wiring and metering.

Last edited:
According to the Toronto Green Standards Version 3.0, which is currently in-effect for developments submitted after May 1, 2018; all mid-rise and high-rise buildings must install EV chargers for 20% of all parking spaces and include electrical conduits to the rest of them so that more chargers can be installed in the future.

I heard that Waterfront Toronto requires 100% of parking spaces to have chargers, not just conduits.

Back