News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Exactly. However wouldn't the transit stop help?
It should. If they were on York U campus close to Black Creek Pioneer Village station (formerly called Steeles West station), they'd only be a 25-minute subway from Spadina station. In reality, not much more difficult to get to than BMO Field.

I've never seen Hillingdon signs at Heathrow, Romulus signs in Detroit, though I'm scratching my head about Richmond signs in Vancouver.

It's a bizarre, self-centred request.

That may be.....but it is not a request to have the airport renamed....which is what I was responding to.

The day they start referring to Detroit airport as Romulus airport, or London Heathrow as Hillingdon airport, or Vancouver airport as Richmond airport ...

... good grief Hazel, stick the tin pot back on your head and march around the house again ...

The Mississauga Mayor is not asking for the airport to be renamed....she is asking that welcome signs note that the airport is in Mississauga. Not saying she is right about that but we should not be restating her "ask" to make it sound ridiculous.

I don't think anyone hear said she was trying to rename it.

seemed that way to me.

Exactly. However wouldn't the transit stop help?

It would help, but the Argonauts might as well call it quits if they move out there. They'd quickly fall off the radar completely never to resurface. I play in a recreation league with 8 teams and most of them are NFL fans. The only thing keeping the Argonauts from being completely invisible is their presence at Skydome. We have a league social at an Argonauts game once a season, but a move to the suburbs would all but kill any lingering interest people have in the team.

The Argonauts need to build on their Grey Cup win, exciting quarterback, and recent prominence. They must push for football specific stadium downtown. Lamport could work, CNE will be difficult but ideal, as would the Port lands. It would be a crying shame if this franchise goes down the drain while the rest of the league seems to be going from strength to strength. I believe that the Argonauts can claw back to relevance in the Toronto market, but they need to do everything right over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Would it be easier to make Skydome Argos-only and build a new ballpark for the Blue Jays, or is there not enough demand for Argos tickets to fill the dome?

Would it be easier to make Skydome Argos-only and build a new ballpark for the Blue Jays, or is there not enough demand for Argos tickets to fill the dome?

Dont get me wrong, i like the Argos... but gee, the Rogers Centre is way to large to just accomodate the Argos and their 2nd tier league.
Soon the Argos will have to look into building a 15-20k venue somewhere in Toronto

Aside from being too big for the Argos, the Dome is owned by the folks who own the Jays......mm think you are picturing the wrong team moving

Depending on your you read this article, the new capacity will be 25,130 or 24,000.

Either way, it's probably close enough. I'm quite sure they've done their homework.

In this article it is 22,500!.

http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocalGeneral/Story.aspx?ID=1790037

The point is, the CFL does not have a minimum....they have a set of team/league economics which make anything much smaller not make sense. The Montreal expansion was part of the deal that took the Als to McGill in the first place. They played there essentially rent free on a deal that would see them fix up the stadium in two phases....1 was just bringing the place up to some sort of usable/safe standard (something the university knew was needed but did not have the funds for) and 2 was the expansion to 25k.....that second part was key to the Als because even though they loved announcing "X" straight sellouts at McGill in its 20k size...they knew they were losing money every game at that level (and avoided season losses by moving the last regular season game in addition to any playoffs to the Big O).

In the PSOS documents - the proponents were asked to design a stadium seating 22,500 minimum (this number included club and VIP seats). They all hit that target - but with not many more seats over that number

3 lines promised for the panam games. None have even been started. If this isn't a sign that too much bureacracy exists, I don't know what is.

Back