News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The highlight is probably the transit network, which notes that on the day of an event, you can use your Games ticket to travel on any service operated by the various participating agencies (including TTC and GO).

Stating the obvious I would say. :)

Another P3 foul-up: per Torstar, subcontractors have now placed over $2M in liens on Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton because French-owned Bouygues Building Canada Inc., which is the senior partner in the construction, has not paid anyone for at least three months.

Project director is quoted in response “I am not willing to share any of this story"

Last edited:
Another P3 foul-up: per Torstar, subcontractors have now placed over $2M in liens on Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton because French-owned Bouygues Building Canada Inc., which is the senior partner in the construction, has not paid anyone for at least three months.

Project director is quoted in response “I am not willing to share any of this story"
I'm anti-P3, but I don't see how this is a P3 foul-up. Construction liens are pretty normal on many types of construction. 3 months isn't particularly excessive.

I'm anti-P3, but I don't see how this is a P3 foul-up. Construction liens are pretty normal on many types of construction. 3 months isn't particularly excessive.
90-120 days will happen from time to time with 45 being the norm. You will always get the less 10% hold back on those invoices until the work is completed by the subs.

When the air smell, time to put liens on very fast. If you aren't fast enough, you could be on the bottom holding an empty bag. After my lawyer fail to file a number of liens when I request the liens to be file, got to hold the empty bag. Learn real quick how to do the lien and slap them on very fast to the point I got my money in the end while others got the empty bag.

Those empty bags can put a company out of business very quick.

I sit on the fence on the P3 and do a case by case look to see which is the right way to go.

The problem with P3's, you have companies coming in offshore and you don't know anything about them when bidding on contract with them. A fair number have taken over exiting companies and become harder to deal with.

It boils down to who has the deepest pockets at the time of bidding and what kind of profit are they looking for.

Yes it is. Many subcontracts are structure to receive progress billings bi-weekly or monthly. For many subcontractors, 3 months of non-payment is a huge hit to their cash flow.

I think you are underestimating how many smaller companies are involved in such projects.

I can understand contractors worrying that if they are not paid before the games they could have a hard time collecting money afterwards.

Anyone else here signed up to be a volunteer? I just started the online 'training' and it says the modules will take around 90 minutes to complete. Was not expecting to jump through this hoop when I signed up.

Yes it is. Many subcontracts are structure to receive progress billings bi-weekly or monthly. For many subcontractors, 3 months of non-payment is a huge hit to their cash flow.
Fair enough, I should have said unusual not excessive. When I subcontract I use pay when paid max 180 days, seldom with much kickback. bi-weekly and monthly isn't universal.

Fair enough, I should have said unusual not excessive. When I subcontract I use pay when paid max 180 days, seldom with much kickback. bi-weekly and monthly isn't universal.

A monthly progress draw is essentially standard in the ICI construction field, as it is stipulated in many CCDC contracts. For example, see section 5.2 of CCDC-2, which is a standard stipulated-price contract.

Last edited:
A monthly progress draw is essentially standard in the ICI construction field, as it is stipulated in many CCDC contracts. For example, see section 5.2 of CCDC-2, which is a standard stipulated-price contract.
Ah, I don't think I've ever subcontracted to a unionized, or large, operation. I doubt they'd be low bid.

Ah, I don't think I've ever subcontracted to a unionized, or large, operation. I doubt they'd be low bid.

Not sure what you mean by that, but lowest bidder wins is still typically the standard. Obviously it depends on the tender. But at the end of the day, most tenders are still looking for the lowest bid, within certain conditions. For subcontractors, this is most especially true.

Anyway, a bit off topic. Like you said, liens are pretty normal on a project. Especially if contractors are sending invoices and not receiving payment. If said contractors have walked off the job, or have completed their work, then they are forced to place a lien, as they have only 45 days after their last day on the project until their lien rights expire. If you haven't been paid within 45 days of registering the Lien, then you must "perfect" your lien (meaning, commencement of court proceedings) within 90 days of the last day you worked on the project.

If they miss these dates, it is going to be much much more difficult and costly to receive payment. And this is why you always see a Lien frenzy at the end of the job. Typically most get sorted out in arbitration and don't actually go to court.

Not sure what you mean by that, but lowest bidder wins is still typically the standard. Obviously it depends on the tender. But at the end of the day, most tenders are still looking for the lowest bid, within certain conditions. For subcontractors, this is most especially true.
Absolutely. In the stuff I do, it's all pretty small companies bidding. I doubt a unionized shop would have a chance at being competitive.

If they miss these dates, it is going to be much much more difficult and costly to receive payment. And this is why you always see a Lien frenzy at the end of the job. Typically most get sorted out in arbitration and don't actually go to court.
Interesting ... I've never had to deal with a lien. Why would a contractor do this ... if they did, I'd never ask them to bid on anything else ever again!

Pretty good news I wasn't even expecting:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/janelle...oronto-2015-pan-am-parapan-am-games-1.3063060

Organizers for the 35-day Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games arts and culture festival, PANAMANIA, revealed a rich and star-studded entertainment lineup Wednesday.

While international athletes flood into the city this summer, so too will 1,200 global and Canadian artists, who will hold 250 performances and exhibitions on the sidelines of the games, which have been billed as the largest multi-sport event ever hosted in Canada.

"The Games will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, unlike anything this city has ever seen," said Saad Rafi, CEO of the Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games organizing committee.

"Not only are we going to have some of the best athletes in the world compete in our backyard, we're going to have 35 days of music, arts and culture that will inspire us and bring the city to life."

PANAMANIA will host 250 performances and exhibitions from July 10 to August 15.
Among the events will be free outdoor concerts headlined by award-winning Canadian and international musical artists, such as:

The Flaming Lips
Calle 13
The Roots
A Tribe Called Red
Janelle Monae
Café Tacvba
Brigitte Boisjoli
Chromeo
Jann Arden
Choc Quib Town
Death From Above 1979
Damien Robitaille