News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Go to their sport sections... I provided the links.

Also, ESPN has already had some coverage of the games, and will be broadcasting them in the states.

The games have already had exposure to hundreds of millions of people, and they are still many weeks away. Expect to see coverage ramp up the week that athletes begin arriving (As is the case for most sporting events).

You said home pages.

I believe it was always planned to be the size (+/-) it is.

It is used for more than high school sports...no? That same location, in that same neighbourhood has hosted (and will host) CFL for decades....including the occasional expansion of the facility to hold Grey Cups.

EDIT: and not to get too pedantic but "hundreds of millions" (as in multiple hundreds of millions) would be $200million plus....I think it was pointed out above the cost was $145million. Your opposition to/anger about these games is noted and a valid opinion but there is no need to make stuff up to make it seem more valid.

You do understand that there is a difference between the Rugby sevens tournament and the soccer tournament at the Pan Ams.....a difference so fundamental that it ruled out BMO as the soccer venue from the onset.....right?

Lets see how many sellouts we'll have for the rugby sevens tournament at BMO vs. soccer at THF. They could have easily run soccer at BMO and rugby at Lamport, but those Hamilton MPPs needed their pork.

Lets see how many sellouts we'll have for the rugby sevens tournament at BMO vs. soccer at THF. They could have easily run soccer at BMO and rugby at Lamport, but those Hamilton MPPs needed their pork.

You can not run a soccer tournament that has 2 games a day for a week (and 4 games on one day) in a stadium with grass as opposed to turf......you run a very large weather and quality of pitch problem. BMO Field stopped being considered an option for soccer for the Pan Ams the day Maurice Edu was sold to Rangers.

Rugby 7s is a two day quick hit event with lots of short games played over those two days (4 sessions I believe) and the sport is less dependant on surface quality if the weather turns against you.

but...go ahead and believe it was all about pork. the original plan (BTW) was for track and field to be held in Hamilton with a different soccer venue built elsewhere in the GTA....so even before the Hamilton issue morphed into a bigger project to assist in replacing the aging Ivor Wynne.......soccer was not going to be at BMO Field.

Yes soccer will have bigger crowds in Hamilton than rugby sevens will at BMO....not sure what point you are making there but it seems to support the decision to have the soccer stadium being the biggest facility expenditure of the lot.

You said home pages.

Regardless, it still disproves your theory that nobody outside of Toronto cares. In fact, more people outside of Toronto care about the Pan Am Games than people here. Toronto itself is Toronto 2015's biggest problem.

For those who are interested, another video from Claro Sports (Mexico). If you click the video, you can view all of their 30 second spots also.

[video=youtube;rzCcoJ7LpA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzCcoJ7LpA8[/video]

Here is a commercial from Peru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRKB04_FTRw

ESPN (Puerto Rico and USA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5DnD5LvLC4

Last edited:
Regardless, it still disproves your theory that nobody outside of Toronto cares. In fact, more people outside of Toronto care about the Pan Am Games than people here. Toronto itself is Toronto 2015's biggest problem.

For those who are interested, another video from Claro Sports (Mexico). If you click the video, you can view all of their 30 second spots also.

[video=youtube;rzCcoJ7LpA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzCcoJ7LpA8[/video]

Here is a commercial from Peru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRKB04_FTRw

ESPN (Puerto Rico and USA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5DnD5LvLC4

That's beautiful. I hope they're not disappointed about our lack of snow in July. :)

1. You can't play rugby sevens on artificial turf, because we play a contact sport without pads.
2. The rugby community in Toronto is large, well-organized, and supports our national teams in droves, 20k+ at BMO for non-Tests and travelling in numbers to Soldier Field to watch the All Blacks hammer the Amerks. I'm betting we sell out the 7s.
3. One of the reasons we will sell out the sevens, FYI, is that they will play sevens over a weekend - you go & party in the stands while watching a bunch of quick, fast, exciting games one after another. It's as much fun as a day at the beach volleyball (minus the sand and bikinis, but IMO a sport much closer to the original.)
4. Another reason is that the Canadian women are currently ranked #2 in the world at sevens and will see a great battle with #5 USA, while Brazil and Argentina will be in the hunt, but we should be favoured for gold. The Canadian men are #9 in the world rankings and should be in a great battle with the US, Argentina, Uruguay, even Brazil and Chile.

But be whingeing baby. As I said above, at this point y'all might as well try to enjoy the summer, because it's going to happen.

I believe they said the same thing about the G20.

In other news:
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/26/most-of-us-not-interested-in-pan-am-games-poll
That's ridiculous. "Most of us" are not interested in anything. Most of us don't go to High Park, that doesn't mean it should be sold off for condo developments. Most of us don't use bike/MUP trails. Most of us don't go to Pride parade. Most of us don't go to Caribana, or the CNE, or Luminato, or Open Doors, or Dundas Square.

This pathetic idea that a city is only a series of roads to go from home to work to Wal-Mart is disgusting to me. Cities either grow and progress, or stagnate and decay - and growth and progress cost big bucks.

That's ridiculous. "Most of us" are not interested in anything. Most of us don't go to High Park, that doesn't mean it should be sold off for condo developments. Most of us don't use bike/MUP trails. Most of us don't go to Pride parade. Most of us don't go to Caribana, or the CNE, or Luminato, or Open Doors, or Dundas Square.

This pathetic idea that a city is only a series of roads to go from home to work to Wal-Mart is disgusting to me. Cities either grow and progress, or stagnate and decay - and growth and progress cost big bucks.

Umm... it's not a binary choice between "city as a utility" and "Pan Am boondoggle". You're right that growth and progress cost big bucks, so don't waste it on unnecessary security costs, a bunch of events that are of limited interest and a handful of overpriced facilities that are of questionable value.

Meanwhile the City of Toronto just finished upgrading the best soccer-specific stadium in the country... so they can use it for rugby sevens.
City of Toronto has done no upgrading to BMO Field. And none of the upgrades going on are related to the 2-days of Rugby there ... they'd have never have anticipated needing more than the 22,000 seats already there.

1. You can't play rugby sevens on artificial turf, because we play a contact sport without pads.
I agree with you, and I do enjoy watching the occasional Rugby Union game there.

But I scractch my head how they play Rugby League at Lamport. It appears to be the home stadium of the Canadian national team for the last 2-3 years. Can't say I've ever watched much Rugby League though ...

I believe they said the same thing about the G20.
G20 was great! Got to watch soccer at BMO Field on the Saturday with towers of smoke rising in the distance everytime someone lit another police car. And headed to the ROM with the kids on the Sunday for one of the first days with the Terracotta Warriors ... and it was wonderfully quiet ... other than some overdressed leader's wives ...

But I scratch my head how they play Rugby League at Lamport. It appears to be the home stadium of the Canadian national team for the last 2-3 years. Can't say I've ever watched much Rugby League though ...

I don't understand how they play there, either. My daughters practiced and played rugby on the artificial turf at Monarch Park, but let's just say that the tackling tends to be much less aggressive on turf.

Back