News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No...rapping is talking, and talking is talking...not music. And it's usually very bad talking to boot.

If rapping was just talking, it wouldn't sound right over a beat. It would be chaotic. A rapper talks with a rhythm. He controls the tones of his voice. Those are the elements that form a vocal melody.

Even if that's true, it still doesn't mean anything with rhythm is music. Otherwise my dishwasher is making music.

If you programmed your dishwasher to achieve a certain rhythm, you'd be making music.

The noises my body makes when I'm on the toilet are more intruiging than modern rap. The sound of diarrhea hitting fresh porcelain is vaguely avant garde.

Today's rappers, with their idiotic ebonics, make the sloppy English of old blues guys like Robert Johnson, sound Shakespearean in comparison. To call rappers poets is a riot. Poetry requires fluent literature for starters.

Rappers write verses with metaphors, similes and symbolism. Their lyrics contain hidden meanings, so their work can be poetic. While they come up with their own words and phrases and even grammatical conjugations, is there anything wrong with that? I think a language should be free to change and evolve, and it's good that there are people experimenting to see what variations can work.

A language should be allowed to evolve? There is an objective standard for how we write and say things. Otherwise I can call something by an arbitrary term, or bend an existing word into something that isn't universally accepted. One can see the damage that such permissiveness has caused. We have a culture of many young people that refuse to talk correctly because they think intelligent expression is lame and something that is suited for nerdy white people. Language isn't flexible to one's own desires. There is right way to pronounce words.

On the subject of using Canadian talent to headline the closing ceremonies, we would be remiss to forget about this country's greatest musical export, Fred Penner.

Did anyone see The Flaming Lips last night? So awesome! Almost every song by Kiesza sounded the same though.

Today's rappers, with their idiotic ebonics, make the sloppy English of old blues guys like Robert Johnson, sound Shakespearean in comparison. To call rappers poets is a riot. Poetry requires fluent literature for starters.

Well that's a very elitist view. I think people create art with whatever knowledge and experience they have available to them. Just because one persons experience happens to be the streets of Detroit or Camden NJ doesn't make their art any less powerful than art created by someone with a degree from Princeton. Art isn't about following pre-set rules - it's about giving your audience an emotional reaction.

Wow. This thread just proves how exciting the actual Pan Am sports have turned out. In the last day there's been one post on baseball and eight pages of inanity from a bunch of nitwits arguing over the length of their CD collections. Can't wait for the Olympics so we can have a four week running argument of Proust vs Kerouac.

It's usually best to ignore the opinions of people who say "this isn't real art", or something along those lines. They're typically obnoxious morons hopelessly blinded by their own cultural influences and elitism.

Rappers write verses with metaphors, similes and symbolism. Their lyrics contain hidden meanings, so their work can be poetic. While they come up with their own words and phrases and even grammatical conjugations, is there anything wrong with that? I think a language should be free to change and evolve, and it's good that there are people experimenting to see what variations can work.

You are kidding yourself and trying too hard to make it all sound sophisticated...when it is the exact opposite. You should be asking yourself why you are apologizing for it.

Hip hop was just another interesting experiment from the late 70's, early 80's that should have died with punk and disco. It was just a fun little joke. To borrow a phrase from Fran Lebowitz...this is what happens when an inside joke gets into the water supply.

It's usually best to ignore the opinions of people who say "this isn't real art", or something along those lines. They're typically obnoxious morons hopelessly blinded by their own cultural influences and elitism.

Isn't it ironic how the people who think rap = music are the same people who think ad hominem = ignore.

Back