News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I was amazed by the exposure that the World Championships in Edmonton got in Europe. I was in Germany at the time, and people were talking about them all the time, and about this Canadian city called Edmonton. Did it make them any more likely to go to Edmonton? Probably not, but at least they had heard of the place.

I was amazed by the exposure that the World Championships in Edmonton got in Europe. I was in Germany at the time, and people were talking about them all the time, and about this Canadian city called Edmonton. Did it make them any more likely to go to Edmonton? Probably not, but at least they had heard of the place.

The same can be easily said about Canada hosting the U-20 World Cup. Do you think people who watched the tournament in different countries are gonna come visit Toronto after watching a couple matches? Highly unlikely, but atleast we showcased the city somewhat on an International audience and got the word out there that Canada, a non-soccer powerhouse nation, can host the most successful U-20 FIFA World Cup ever on record.

Why do people have the perception that the Olympic venues are more expensive? It isn't really the case when you factor in that the IOC doles out in the neighbourhood of $1.5 billion (with a b) to offset costs, which isn't true of the PanAm Games, etc.

Since Edmonton hosted the 2001 games, there actually has been a marked increase in tourists from Europe. They did a great blanket marketing campaign that promoted not only Edmonton, but Jasper, the Rockies, Banff, and Calgary as well. Not to mention that as a volunteer during those games, I heard nothing but great things about the hospitality and enthusiasm that Edmonton had hosting the games -- something that was starting to ebb when it is hosted in Europe.

HEY! Maybe we can get a stadium for an NFL team!

A "Golden Horseshoe" PanAm Games seems silly. It will inveitably be centred on ONE city, with Toronto being the only real candidate. Likely it is being called a Golden Horseshoe proposal until Toronto actually says it is on board.

Why all this pessimism? I have every hope we won't touch this at all!

I see one good thing that could come out of a Golden Horseshoe bid... introduction of all-day GO Train service throughout the entire GTA plus the Niagara Region?

The article says Lima and Bogota are the only current contenders. Geopolitical issues aside, I can see Mississauga going alone on this bid and have a chance of landing the games.

Ideally, however, public tradiant would get built on the grounds that it's just plain reasonable to do so and it would not be depending on any games or billion dollar screw-ups of any kind. Transit infrastructure is expensive enough, no need to tie it to some hand grenade in the government books...

GTA Venue Plan and Case for New $1 Billion Portland Stadium

International Exposure and Local Benefits

The Pan American Games are 1/3 the size of the Olympics and will probably cost 1/3 of hosting them. Hosting the Pan Am Games still has great potential to bring considerable media exposure, visitors and lasting infrastructure benefits to the city-region. The 2007 Pan Am Games in Rio, Brazil got excellent international media exposure, cleaned up the city’s image and as a result they are now bidding for the 2016 Olympic Games.

2015 Golden Horseshoe Venue Plan

Internally this is being billed as the “Golden Horseshoe” Games to boost support from across the city-region and avoid the feeling of being a Toronto centred bid. Internationally it will be known as Toronto’s Pan American Bid.

Neither Hamilton, Mississauga or Toronto could host the Games by themselves as new and existing venues are spread out across the GTA and Hamilton. It would be very expensive and stupid to replicate and duplicate existing sport venues in one concentrated area for just one event.

The 2008 Olympic Bid Plan had the same “Golden Horseshoe” concept. The 905 got all the training venues and preliminary games, while the 416 hosted all the medal events in many new venues that would have been built on the waterfront. A lot of new and upgraded venues have been built since that 2008 Bid, so Toronto wouldn't have to build so many new venues for 2015.

Following the 2008 Olympic Bid Plan and the Rio 2007 Sports Program, a 2015 Pan Am Games venue plan would best utilize existing sites across the GTA – Hamilton area.

Toronto Venues
Air Canada Centre – Basketball
Ashbridges Bay – Beach Volleyball
*BMO Field – Soccer, Modern Pentathlon
Convention Centre – Fencing, Judo
Direct Energy Centre – Badminton, Taekwondo, Table Tennis
Molson Amphitheatre – Weightlifting
Ontario Place – Triathlon
*Rexall Centre – Tennis
*Rioch Coliseum – Gymnastics
*Rogers Centre – Baseball, Softball (Opening and Closing Ceremony)
Toronto Harbour – Sailing
*Varsity Field – Soccer, Athletics
*Western Beaches Race Course – Canoe, Rowing
York University – Soccer

*New or Upgraded since 2008 Bid

New Venues To Be Built
Upgraded Varsity Stadium - Athletics only $60 - $70 million(see below)
Portland Waterfront Stadium – Athletics, Soccer, Opening and Closing Ceremony $1 Billion (see below)
Velodrome – Cycling, Wrestling $40 - $50 million

GTA – Hamilton Venues
Hershey Centre (Mississauga) – Volleyball, Field Hockey, Archery
Powerade Centre (Brampton) – Handball
Equestrian Centre (Caledon) – Equestrian
Ivor Wynne Stadium (Hamilton) – Soccer
Copps Coliseum (Hamilton) – Boxing
Hamilton Road Race Course (Hamilton) - Cycling
Twelve Mile Creek (St. Catherines) – Canoe
Skeet and Gun Club (Oshawa) - Shooting

New Venues To Be Built

Aquatics Centre – Swimming $100 million
(Joint facility currently planned by Mississauga – Milton- Oakville or in Markham)

Upgraded Varsity or New Portlands Stadium?

The Games capital budget will depend largely on what Toronto plans to do for an athletics stadium. A decentralized and fairly modest spending plan would be to host the Opening and Closing Ceremony at the Rogers Centre and temporarily upgrade varsity stadium to a 20,000 – 25,000 seat stadium to host athletics only.

It would have to be a temporary stadium because I know when Varsity was planning to be the site of the new soccer stadium, there was loud opposition to permanently closing down Devnonshire Place Road in order to install a western grandstand to the stadium. My best estimate is that temporary conversion could cost between $60 - $70 million tops.

The more costly and ambitious plan would be to build a new combined - permanent Athletic and Football Stadium in the Portlands. It would host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Athletics and Soccer events and have at least triple the seating capacity of the Varsity stadium upgrade plan. It would have to be at least a 65,000 – 75,000 seat stadium and ideally with a retractable roof (winter play) to be suitable for a future Toronto NFL Team. It would probably be a $1 billion development if we are going to go all out with inspiring architecture.

I would only support this plan if it was a joint Public-Private partnership at an equal 50% stake each. There would also have to be a long term strategic plan for Toronto to bid and host other large international sporting events like the Superbowl, World Championships in Athletics (2017 or 2019), the Olympics (2020 or 2024) and FIFA World Cup (Joint host with the USA).

Business Case for a New Portland Stadium

While some may bulk at spending taxpayer dollars on a new stadium, I have to ask; can you imagine Toronto without the Skydome? The stadium has provided ongoing economic investment to the entire city-region.

What will happen to the Argos if the NFL comes? It has already been suggested to the CFL that the season schedule could start and end earlier to avoid competing directly and overlapping with the NFL.

Can Toronto support two stadiums? In my opinion it can, especially if the new stadium has a major tenant like an NFL Team and with a permament track in place host other international events! Even smaller cities like Melbourne have giant stadiums down the street from each other (Cricket Grounds and Telstra Dome).

I honestly believe that a $500 million in public funding for a new stadium would be worthwhile investment, being a new landmark anchor on the waterfront that will also support the planned new LRT lines, attract significant new development in the Portlands, bring worldwide media exposure to the city, create and support hundreds of thousands of jobs in the hospitality and tourism sector, and millions in annual revenue for every level of government from sale taxes.

Louroz

[ The 2007 Pan Am Games in Rio, Brazil got excellent international media exposure, cleaned up the city’s image and as a result they are now bidding for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Not in North Amercia they didn't. And as for the city's image, well, the favelas are just as bad as they were before the games, along with the kidnappings, poverty, injustice, &c., &c., &c..

Media Coverage of Rio 2007

I followed news reports on Rio 2007 very closely and it got excellent media coverage and overall positive reviews across all major media outlets in both United States and in Canada.

Previous Bids

Rio has made two recent have decent bids for the Olympics in 2004 and 2012, but failed both times to make the shortlist.

However, since hosting a successful Pan American Games in 2007, it is ensured to make the shortlist for the 2016 Olympic and is considered a serious threat against Chicago's Bid.

Louroz

Again, why would Toronto need a SECOND Rogers Centre size stadium? There is ZERO business case for a second one, even with a NFL team. The NFL season runs with very little overlap with the CFL and MLB seasons. A stadium in the Portlands would be a logistical nightmare, with only two routes (Cherry and Leslie) in and out of the area. Like I said, a mid-sized stadium would be fine, a la BMO field that could function as a community facility. Finally, if our vision for the Portlands is for a signature community on the waterfront, building another giant stadium will do nothing but drive people away hoping to live central, but not in hyper-urbanity.

Portlands Waterfront Stadium

I think I nicely laid out my case for a new Waterfront Stadium.

You pointed to Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium as a successful model. The two things the Rogers Centre is lacking that makes Commonwealth Stadium so successful is an athletics track and a larger seating capacity (62,500).

With a new Waterfront Stadium a parmanet athletics track would be incorporated, which will also enable Toronto to bid and host future international events like the Olympics.

This proposal is only feasible if it includes an NFL as a main tenant. It has already been reported that the seating capacity at the Rogers Centre is not sufficient enough to support an NFL Team. No NFL Stadium has less than 65,000 seats.

Transport in the Portlands

Toronto was ready to host the 2008 Olympics and the 2015 World Expo on the site of the Portlands. There were detailed plans to build two new LRT lines, a new transit terminal for TTC and Charter Buses, new ferry service, two parking lots, and more importantly a new Cherry Street GO Train Station.

Louroz

Back