News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Apologies, perhaps not very pc to use 'developing nations'- it was a flippant posting ...perhaps it was a friday. I was really just disputing the 'global' appeal or scope of these games which has been suggested. I do see their benefits and I hope they do well. For the record I do NOT seriously want a NASCAR track on the waterfront either.

I think, by definition, they do not have a global appeal. After all, the name gives a pretty good hint that they are a regional event (albeit, a very large region). I think the fact that they are so huge in South and Latin America bodes very well for the sort of impact they will have here. They happen in summer here, which is winter in South America and I can see a large number of Brazilians and Argentinians making plans to vaction in the Toronto area and take in a sporting event that matters to them.

Our ties to South America are growing and this can only help!

Apologies, perhaps not very pc to use 'developing nations'- it was a flippant posting ...perhaps it was a friday. I was really just disputing the 'global' appeal or scope of these games which has been suggested. I do see their benefits and I hope they do well. For the record I do NOT seriously want a NASCAR track on the waterfront either.

You know, some people think there might be something to this BRIC thing...

Latin America's population is far larger than the United States', its economy is growing far more quickly than the United States, and it sends a lot less of its tourists to Canada than the United States. If you think that what we ought to do is write off the rest of the Americas in order to laser-focus on the smaller, stagnating, more saturated American market, then I'm going to have to disagree.

You know, some people think there might be something to this BRIC thing...

Latin America's population is far larger than the United States', its economy is growing far more quickly than the United States, and it sends a lot less of its tourists to Canada than the United States. If you think that what we ought to do is write off the rest of the Americas in order to laser-focus on the smaller, stagnating, more saturated American market, then I'm going to have to disagree.

I agree, I never once suggested anywhere on here that increasing relations with the lower americas was not a good thing. The Pan Ams have little 'global' appeal and I questioned their populariy in the United States- that is all. I stand by that.

Perhaps we can just use the one in Montreal from the 1976 Olympics.

Oh wait, they converted it into zoo.

Given we didn't even kept the world-class velodrome we already had, why would any city want another one?

So you think that the Pan-Am games consist of Canada, the US and a bunch of developing countries?

Excluding a few Caribbean islands isn't that accurate? I believe the statement is accurate with Brazil and Mexico being developing but newly industrialized countries. That isn't to say there aren't huge economies there nor to say there aren't places within those countries that are fully developed, but only to say that in many regions of those countries the level of human development (education, safety, health care, level of corruption, etc) hasn't reached the levels of countries considered fully developed. I think with most of the countries of the America's, outside Canada and the US, being members of the G20 Developing Nations it is accepted in those countries that they are developing. Perhaps you just don't like the tone of his post?

Looks like Hamilton screws us yet again..

Hamilton's shot at Pan-Am Velodrome all but dead
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1068110--hamilton-s-shot-at-pan-am-velodrome-all-but-dead

With Hamilton's incompetence and Bob & Doug in charge, these games are going to be a disaster. Say goodbye to any Olympic hopes in the next 100 years.

I don't really see how Hamilton's government screwed anyone here. If they can't afford to build it, it's the correct decision to say so now than cry poor in 2014 and ask for a bailout. The velodrome is not in danger of not being built in time.

And if by "again" you're talking about the soccer stadium, I would say the owner of the Ti-Cats screwed Hamilton and the Pan Am Committee, not the city government.

Has there been any talk about spiffying up the SkyDome for the games? Given that it's going to be the showpiece venue for TO2015, some cladding wouldn't hurt. Perhaps they could glaze it all around like it is already on the Renaissance Hotel side.

9502.png

Last edited:
I don't really see how Hamilton's government screwed anyone here. If they can't afford to build it, it's the correct decision to say so now than cry poor in 2014 and ask for a bailout. The velodrome is not in danger of not being built in time.

And if by "again" you're talking about the soccer stadium, I would say the owner of the Ti-Cats screwed Hamilton and the Pan Am Committee, not the city government.

They had a perfect location in the West Harbour, and decided to go somewhere else. They've been delaying everything and will probably ultimately end up like the Big Owe not being finished in time. The entire point of a new location was because the Ivor Wynne location was not suitable, which is true, and instead they just decide to stick with it and renovate it.

Is Ford about to embarass us... again?

So... heard a rumour that the mayor is contemplating/planning to skip the closing ceremonies of this Pan Ams (you know, that part where they give the flag/salute the upcoming games, like Vancouver did in the closing ceremonies there) and have a city bureaucrat receive the flag and good wishes.

I'm assuming this would be a cost-PR issue, to save $1000 or so on plane fare. (He doesn't even need to stay the night if it kills him to do so.)

Anyone able to confirm?

Actually him not showing is probably the best thing since sliced bread - considering how much of an embrassment he already is. I'd rather not have another Mel's cannibal moment.

AoD

It could go both ways. Other athletic associations can see this as a snub and that Toronto couldn't care less about the events they are hosting or any other events for that matter.

As embarrassing as Rob has the potential to be, I think it's important that he be there. Otherwise, it could well be taken as a snub as Thanos points out or as a lack of interest on Toronto's part. If Rob really doesn't want to go (maybe he's afraid of flying?), he needs to appoint a senior person to attend on his behalf (not Doug!) and come up with a good reason why he personally won't be there.

I seriously would rather he not go. Can't the Premier attend? After all, this is really a southeastern Ontario games, not just Toronto's. Hamilton's Mayor won't be there, why have Toronto's? ...I'm really just making excuses to avoid the embarassment. That said, Dalton McGuinty would do a great job of representing us.

Back