News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The report was supposed to be discussed in the September 17 Economic Development Meeting but it wasn't. I am wondering if a Tokyo bid has postponed a study to see the feasibility of a Toronto win after two straight out of Europe.

The report was supposed to be discussed in the September 17 Economic Development Meeting but it wasn't. I am wondering if a Tokyo bid has postponed a study to see the feasibility of a Toronto win after two straight out of Europe.

No, because that is not part of the IOC's selection process.

Just dropping by to say I think a 2024 bid is a no-go for Toronto. The applications must be submitted by the summer of 2015, and I think an intent-to-apply statement must go inquite a while before that. That's just under 2 years, and with an election and the PanAms in the offing, I don't see how a serious bid can be prepared and the public support stirred up in that time. The Toronto 2024 Facebook page isn't very active. If there is energy for this thing, I'm not seeing it.

The deadline for National Olympic Committee's (NOC's) to submit applicant cities will be in the Summer of 2015. The deadline to confirm submitted cities is in the fall of 2015. Public support should be stirred up after Toronto hosts the 2015 Pan Am Games. I wouldn't worry about that. Torontonians were polled if they would have supported a Toronto 2020 Olympic bid and it was in the high 80's. This was of course after the deadline for 2020 had passed.

I'm guessing Toronto doesn't want to be the first official city to declare its candidacy. Scope out the competition first, assess how winnable this could be, and coordinate it around the 2015 Pan Ams.

In other news, it was announced today that South Africa, touted as a major contender for 2024, will be focusing on a 2022 Commonwealth Games instead of the Olympics.

Rome announced it will not bid as well.

Last edited:
The deadline for National Olympic Committee's (NOC's) to submit applicant cities will be in the Summer of 2015. The deadline to confirm submitted cities is in the fall of 2015. Public support should be stirred up after Toronto hosts the 2015 Pan Am Games. I wouldn't worry about that. Torontonians were polled if they would have supported a Toronto 2020 Olympic bid and it was in the high 80's. This was of course after the deadline for 2020 had passed.

I'm guessing Toronto doesn't want to be the first official city to declare its candidacy. Scope out the competition first, assess how winnable this could be, and coordinate it around the 2015 Pan Ams.

In other news, it was announced today that South Africa, touted as a major contender for 2024, will be focusing on a 2022 Commonwealth Games instead of the Olympics.

As the billions upon billions of extra spending start to roll in for the Pan Ams, why should Toronto gear up for an Olympics? I'm becoming more and more impressed by the ability of supporters of Games to completely ignore the cost factor. Here's hoping some more insane city leaps in front of us, again, to steal the tax hikes and water polo pools before we can secure them for ourselves...

I really don't see how the PanAms will help a Toronto Olympic bid. We are already hearing about the cost overruns and questionable deals, and there are two more years to go. Why would the public want to sign on for another SEVEN years of that?

We are already hearing about the cost overruns and questionable deals, and there are two more years to go.

What cost overruns have been incurred so far?

As the billions upon billions of extra spending start to roll in for the Pan Ams, why should Toronto gear up for an Olympics? I'm becoming more and more impressed by the ability of supporters of Games to completely ignore the cost factor. Here's hoping some more insane city leaps in front of us, again, to steal the tax hikes and water polo pools before we can secure them for ourselves...

So, taking "billions upon billions" at its minimum possible amount.....is it your opinion that the games are at least $2B over budget? Can you detail those (before you start, there was from day one a separate and publicly announced budget for the village so that does not count).

The article is about all the stuff that *isn't* in the budget, but that we're paying for anyway. And there's still plenty of time for the venue budget to blow out.

This should go in the Pan Am Games thread but it was widely reported that the village wasn't included in the $1.4billion number

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canadian-athletes-give-thumbs-up-to-toronto-s-pan-am-win-1.779833

From Nov 2009

The Games have a $1.4 billion budget for the sporting event itself and $1 billion for an athletes village, which could be turned into a mixed-income neighbourhood serviced by transit.

Back