News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

80% of the growth of Canada now is due to immigration from places wholly unlike Canada. Unlike the U.S. which encourages people to assimilate the existing culture, we've spent the last 40 years telling newcomers that their culture is what matters, we've even funded the teaching of it. So now we're supposed to spend $10 billion (or so) in a last-ditch effort to promote it? Gone are the days of 1972, Russia-Canada hockey tournaments. The people here now are more interested in how their home country is doing in soccer than how Canada is doing. The dwindling Anglo population will be your only boosters.
Look up the actual projects that the Multiculturalism program funds. They're all about helping people fit in, teaching the language and culture, job skills, and mixing with immigrants from other countries. Despite the "cultural mosaic" rhetoric, multiculturalism is actually all about integrating into society. I can't think of another country that does that as well as Canada. As the last few posts show, it's working.

You must've forgotten about the successful Vancouver and Calgary Olympics.
The winter Olympics are a whole different animal, they're small time compared to the Summer games. The success of Vancouver and Calgary don't have much to do with the potential success of Toronto.

The winter Olympics are a whole different animal, they're small time compared to the Summer games. The success of Vancouver and Calgary don't have much to do with the potential success of Toronto.

Yep, to put in context just how small the Winter Games are, the Pan Ams that we're hosting are bigger.

80% of the growth of Canada now is due to immigration from places wholly unlike Canada. Unlike the U.S. which encourages people to assimilate the existing culture, we've spent the last 40 years telling newcomers that their culture is what matters, we've even funded the teaching of it. So now we're supposed to spend $10 billion (or so) in a last-ditch effort to promote it? Gone are the days of 1972, Russia-Canada hockey tournaments. The people here now are more interested in how their home country is doing in soccer than how Canada is doing. The dwindling Anglo population will be your only boosters.

Immigrants and their families are some of the proudest Canadian's I know.

Just wanted to correct your post. Toronto IS an alpha world city. Alpha world is the 3rd highest of 10 categories. Toronto is in the same category as Washington, San Francisco and Beijing to name a few.

Fun with semantics eh? I was using the term "alpha" more as a generic designation for a top world city rather than as a label given to cities by an independent organization. I think most people got that.

The more education they have, the more they assimilate

Immigrants and their families are some of the proudest Canadian's I know.

The uneducated ones end up living in enclaves that result in some not even learning the language for their entire lives. I've seen examples of this in Italian areas and in Chinatown.

The uneducated ones end up living in enclaves that result in some not even learning the language for their entire lives. I've seen examples of this in Italian areas and in Chinatown.

I have also seem tons of Anglophones from the US and Canada, who stayed in foreign countries for years (France, Japan etc), without the basic skills of the local language. The first word they speak to anyone everyday is to express that they speak no language other than English.

So I guess it goes both ways.

By the way, I wouldn't say that Canada "blows" at the summer Olympics. We got 18 medals at Beijing. That's 14th in the world, or 19th when it comes to golds. Not bad considering our population and climate.

Back