Menkes first submission would have been a great building, when they had their first review from my recollection it was shot down for redesign due to the resemblance to the Ryerson Student Learning Centre, IMO it had some resemblance but had enough design differences to be unique.
My point was that they were never going to build the original design. I mean, come on, you think they built a crappy glass box because they were "shot down" by the DRP, not because they decided they wanted to build a crappy glass box? Like they were ready to invest in some cutting edge architecture and then the DRP was like "make it more original" and they were like "okay, the only way to solve this is by changing it to look like a Markham office park"? Seriously, that's just self-evidently ridiculous.

My point was that they were never going to build the original design. I mean, come on, you think they built a crappy glass box because they were "shot down" by the DRP, not because they decided they wanted to build a crappy glass box? Like they were ready to invest in some cutting edge architecture and then the DRP was like "make it more original" and they were like "okay, the only way to solve this is by changing it to look like a Markham office park"? Seriously, that's just self-evidently ridiculous.
My point was that when the first proposal went to the DRP it was shot down, if you have reviewed a lot of their reviews you will see that usually when they recommend to refine the end product usually comes out half decent and very close to the original, it seems that every time that they recommend redesign things usually come back totally different and worse then the original, i am not saying that Menkes would not have cheapened the original, we will never know with certainty as the original design was shot down. Sometimes i sit in on meetings that have 3 or more designers and architects and have never experienced where they agree on what's being presented, they all seem to believe that their ideas are better, when they came back with this design the DRP liked what was presented.

What we all agree on is that there's lots of hate for the Waterfront Innovation Centre (WIC). Let's move that discussion there, because I'm sure there's more frustrated voices that will shared once they see what kind of glass box "innovation" turning out to be.

Last edited:
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think this tower would look and fit in a lot better if it was anywhere from 60-70 meters shorter. Plus it wouldn't steal as much attention away from the gorgeous Mirvish+Ghery next door.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think this tower would look and fit in a lot better if it was anywhere from 60-70 meters shorter. Plus it wouldn't steal as much attention away from the gorgeous Mirvish+Ghery next door.

Assuming that ever gets built ;) Not casting doubt, I do hope it does but we can't also restrict heights based on future proposals.
I think even at its current height, if the tower is built in black, it will still provide a nice contrast to all grey around it, even the shiny grey of Mirvish.

This project is scheduled for their 1st review at the DRP on May 6th, 2021:

212 King Street West (1st Review)

Application: OPA/ZBA
Developer: Dream Office REIT and Humbold Properties
Presentations: - Janani Mahendran, Community Planning; Nasim Adab, Urban Design
- Gregg Pasquarelli, SHoP Architect; Philip Goldsmith, Philip Goldsmith Architect; Jeffrey Craft, Studio TLA; Benjamin Hoff, USI

Because it’s a lame boring design and likely not costly to build boring boxes or rectangles. With simple cladding. It’s up there ally I’d think.
The city isn't managing the architectural look of the buildings. The DRP may have some input on that. Hopefully they will influence some rethinking in the design.

Given the location of the proposal, the height is not unreasonable.

Because it’s a lame boring design and likely not costly to build boring boxes or rectangles. With simple cladding. It’s up there ally I’d think.
donaldtrumpintoronto_large.jpg

Back