Make no mistake about it, IMO this is the best master plan Toronto has ever seen (and this is coming from someone who is shuttering from the though of all this density packed into the neighborhood).

This city's planning dept can really learn a thing or two (...or a whole hell of a lot) from Allies and Morrison. The attention to detail, and the amount of revisions we've seen shows that they are really putting careful thought into each and every aspect of the site.

Totally agree and hope Allies and Morrison are invited to play a major role in shaping a big chunk of the Lower Don Lands (perhaps the most exciting blank slate on the continent).

Would be interested in the floor plans to see if they include "enclosed" office space for each member of the family, not just a shared alcove. (Okay, the cat and dog can share an alcove.)
Nope. It is expecting too much to try and foist a new unit design on the market. People can buy 2 or 3 bedroom units if they want office space. But at $1200+/sqft, it is kind of impractical to be spending $100k/family member for a dedicated office. The reality of condo living is that space has to be maximized to do double duty. Spaces only used for 1/3 of the week are not a great idea.

This is what HBS should have been.
This is going to significantly enhance HBS. Honestly, I think it will put a tremendous amount of development pressure on the Food Terminal as well, but leave that discussion for another thread.

I'm just wondering if there is a way for us to get this level of thought and care put into every 3,000 unit+ master plan. Lakeview Village is also pretty good, but even that is not up to this level. LVV suffers from less robust transit access as this site, unfortunately.

Nope. It is expecting too much to try and foist a new unit design on the market. People can buy 2 or 3 bedroom units if they want office space. But at $1200+/sqft, it is kind of impractical to be spending $100k/family member for a dedicated office. The reality of condo living is that space has to be maximized to do double duty. Spaces only used for 1/3 of the week are not a great idea.

Depends upon the design of the suites. Remember that hallways (and stairs) are part of the square footage. It they can reallocate the halls in a suite to more livable space, that would be better.

I'm just wondering if there is a way for us to get this level of thought and care put into every 3,000 unit+ master plan. Lakeview Village is also pretty good, but even that is not up to this level. LVV suffers from less robust transit access as this site, unfortunately.
That's honestly a question i've been wondering myself. After seeing Allies & Morrison relentlessly plan this site out, it puts Toronto's Secondary Plans to shame (plans which brought us the current HBS, and Liberty Village among many ill conceived neighborhoods). It doesnt help that Mr.Status Quo (John Tory) is starving City Planning from the much needed funds and staff that department desperately needs. Maybe Toronto should contract out its planning department to A&M ;)

But on a serious note, many developers are just flat out lazy and have no idea how to plan a community (ie: see Concord, Omni, Pinnacle, etc..). Most just jam in as many towers into a site, and if we're lucky green space will be randomly tossed in and they call it a day.

I wish I really knew the answer as to how we can fix this problem.

Depends upon the design of the suites. Remember that hallways (and stairs) are part of the square footage. It they can reallocate the halls in a suite to more livable space, that would be better.
Stairs? In a condo? Most don't really have hallways, per se either. Maybe try finding typical floor plans and show where you think this could go without added sqft.

Honestly, I think it will put a tremendous amount of development pressure on the Food Terminal as well, but leave that discussion for another thread.
As has been mentioned several times before, the Food Terminal was recognized in 2019 by the Ontario government as being provincially significant, and it cannot now be rezoned.

Very impressive renderings. Fantastic attention to detail. Naturally I'm very skeptical however that the finished product will look this good.

As has been mentioned several times before, the Food Terminal was recognized in 2019 by the Ontario government as being provincially significant, and it cannot now be rezoned.

It is zoned as employment lands, which is not the same as saying it can't be redeveloped.

Back