Not to impugn Oxford but that community outreach program was largely Westbank's impetus, shaped by the community engagement experts. If Oxford have already have a game plan, it's doubtful that they'd alter it unless they saw that it would help them in some quantifiable way (recall, Westbank's engagement was +/- 18 months).

I'm not sure how much they can do here. This isn't Honest Ed's. There are three huge, in-demand office buildings that completely cut off Yonge from the rest of the site.

I'm not sure how much they can do here. This isn't Honest Ed's. There are three huge, in-demand office buildings that completely cut off Yonge from the rest of the site.
As has been mentioned recently in this thread, the office towers on Yonge south of Eglinton are likely to be redeveloped.

As has been mentioned recently in this thread, the office towers on Yonge south of Eglinton are likely to be redeveloped.

When 2125??

Considering RioCan has yet to add extra floors to their towers and office space is on the decline in the area, how taller will the the building become?? Can extra floors be added to the existing structure and if so, how many?? Always can do what was done at The Residents of 488 University Ave. Otherwise, tear it down and start fresh.

If you have a mix office and condo building, getting 50 floors for the site can be had.

I know TTC wants office towers for their site since it will generate more money for them, but how long are they prepare to sit on that site until demand for a tower surface?? One only has to look at the Sheppard and Islington sites to see it will be 25 years or more for office space there.

If you say 10-20 floors for office and X floors for residents, you will have a better chance getting something built sooner than later.

Given to neighbourhood residents:
Oxford-2017-05-02_12-20-11-3076.jpg

Internal Communication:
Canada Square: Parking lot disruption on Thursday, May 4
On Thursday, May 4 at 4:00 p.m., Oxford Properties Group will be hosting a local community consultation in the parking lot adjacent to the cinemas at 2190 Yonge St. As a result, part of the parking lot will be blocked off to accommodate an outdoor tent. This is part of a series of consultations with residents of the surrounding Yonge and Eglinton area, giving them an opportunity to provide input into how they would like ...to see their neighbourhood evolve in the upcoming years. In this vision session, Oxford will be focusing on local residents’ feedback on the potential redevelopment of Canada Square. As a one-third interest owner in Canada Square, CT REIT will also be part of these ongoing discussions.
You may be wondering how Canada Square’s redevelopment will impact Canadian Tire. At this point, it’s too early to speculate. We don’t expect any redevelopment to begin for at least a few years, and we’ve been assured that multiple stakeholders – including Canadian Tire, local residents, the TTC, and Metrolinx (which won’t complete the Eglinton Crosstown LRT construction on this site before 2021) – will be involved in this long-term project. Before Oxford can even apply for a building permit, they will need to develop a master plan, secure municipal approvals, and complete detailed architectural and engineering drawings. Oxford will share any information that is relevant to our buildings in the coming weeks. Canadian Tire has a long history at Yonge and Eglinton, and ultimately a decision on the future of our Home Office will be based on what’s best for our employees.

Attachments

• Oxford-2017-05-02_12-20-11-3076.jpg
    Oxford-2017-05-02_12-20-11-3076.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 419
Attended the open house. A couple comments:
  1. The material presented was general. No solid proposal of certain uses. Very airy language, 8 or so 'guiding pillars' (providing housing, creating jobs, connecting to transit, public space, architecture and design, being multigenerational, blah blah blah).
  2. Consultation was through a comment form, two boards for sticky notes ('what can Oxford contribute to the area?' and 'describe the current site in one word'), and talking to representatives. Didn't see anything too hostile except "NO CONDOS!"
  3. On that subject, one rep I was talking to implied that CPPIB is involved, and because of that, they legally wouldn't be able to build condos. Something about 'flipping.' I thought it was weird and can't speak to its factuality, but it was implied that they were focused on rental residential, and as a big advocate of rental housing I took it as a good sign.
  4. Oxford also confirmed that 'current thinking' it to tear down and redevelop the existing office buildings, although they were quick to asterisk that it is not set in stone.

I don't think it is particularly appropriate for an elected official to demand that anyone not avail themselves of the options that are legally available to them.

Agreed. And it is also inappropriate of him to presume to speak on behalf of the community when expressing his own desires and opinions. He votes in Council on behalf of his constituents, but the community speaks for itself, which is why we have public consultations.

My vision is for a public space that one would find in cities like Rome, New York, London and Paris, rather than the concrete mediocrity we're accustomed to

That's easy. Just forget everything about concrete, wait a thousand years, then build a city like Paris, London or Rome before remembering how concrete works. Or do it the New York way... build some concrete mediocrity, fill it with street gangs and prostitutes for half a century, then send them all to jail and add bright lights everywhere.

I believe he is in the right on how to approach this future office/commercial development, and has had meetings with the BIA (Business Improvement Area) which is represented by over 500 merchants, business owners and property owners, and FoNTRA (North Toronto residents association).....remember they like Josh up there
Haha, the last thing he needs is George, John, and who ever from downtown telling them they should obliterate the whole south-west corner for a mega public square with a parkland and fountains

Nice to see Matlow scapegoating the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal before its enabling bill for such matters has even been tabled.

So we're re-politicizing planning in this city again because?

The park bit is absolutely justified, and I hope that any proposals do make that a central foundation. But Matlow is just volleying this because he has fewer legs to stand on now in opposing very tall and dense towers. The OMB reforms will, if anything, encourage greater height and density, and it will not allow neighbouring residents to participate or appeal. Any LPAT appeal will have to result from a straight-up refusal from the city, and they will have to justify why they are standing in the way of said density right at the interchange of two underground rapid transit lines.

From Matlow's latest newsletter:

For too many years, the TTC Bus Barns property at the southwest corner of Yonge and Eglinton was left as a derelict eyesore in the heart of our community. More recently, this site has been actively used as a construction staging area for Metrolinx's Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
I believe it's time to ensure that there is a plan in place so that these lands, along with rest of the Canada Square property, can be thoughtfully redeveloped when the LRT is completed. Leaders of our local residents' associations and I have had initial meetings with Oxford Properties, the developer of the site, and I have already informed them of four expectations I have on behalf of our community:

1. That any new development be based on good urban planning principles and be respectful of the City of Toronto's Official Plan

2. That any new development demonstrate an appropriate transition in scale to the adjacent neighbourhood

3. That plans be devised with the community and be respectful of local residents' feedback and not be appealed to either the OMB or the proposed Local Planning Appeals Tribunal

4. Any plan for the site must include a truly remarkable public space that would provide necessary public realm for both local residents and visitors alike. My vision is for a public space that one would find in cities like Rome, New York, London and Paris, rather than the concrete mediocrity we're accustomed to in Toronto.

Please join me and City Staff in a discussion about how you would like to see the TTC Bus Barns and Canada Square properties be redeveloped. The meeting will take place on Wednesday, June 7 at 7pm at the North Toronto Collegiate Institute Commons (17 Broadway Avenue).

Back