I looked in today and nothing is going on. I wish The Modern would buy it and expand north to the corner. This and The Kormann would change this corner forever.

Another reason the corner has changed is the police camera they added last year.

coffee time are going to complete the reno around the same time as the leafs win(anything)....that place is dead, lets not mourn too much.

Another reason the corner has changed is the police camera they added last year.

Really? Is it in an obvious enough location that riff raff would stay away? Who is hosting the camera? They should put another one at Sherbourne and Dundas.

Historic hotel anchors stylish building
SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

June 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM EDT

For more than a century, the Kormann House Hotel has been situated across from Moss Park at Queen and Sherbourne streets, which — rife with crime and prostitution — is considered one of the least desirable corners in the downtown core.

But KC Developments expects that to change once it restores the heritage landmark and reopens it as a part of a modern, 10-storey condominium called Kormann House.

"When the building is built and everything is redeveloped here, it's going to be a great neighbourhood," says Shakeel Walji, who is the creative director of the Walsh Group, which is marketing the project, which is expected to take about two years to build.

"You can already see there are a lot of restaurants and furniture stores opening up along this stretch of Queen Street East," he adds. Other residential development nearby is also helping to transform the urban landscape.

"What's really tremendous about Kormann House is that it's extending the success of Queen Street East further east," says Brad J. Lamb of Brad J. Lamb Realty, which will handle the sale of units in the building, as it has done in other condos, including the Glasshouse on Queen near Jarvis Street.

"It sold out in a weekend, and proved that Queen Street is a hot place to live," he says.

In another improvement planned for the neighbourhood, the city will revitalize Moss Park, which was a popular gathering place for baseball games, concerts and outdoor performances in the late 19th century.

To create more animation on the street, KC Developments will put commercial and retail space on the ground floor of Kormann House, something that has been done successfully in projects on King Street East, Mr. Walji points out.

The residential suites will include six authentic lofts on the second and third levels of the original hotel and 51 new lofts in a glass tower above and around it.

Starting early next month, purchasers can select from one- |and two-bedroom models between 451 and 1,132 square feet. "The apartments are smaller in scale and price points [and] are very attractive to young, first-time buyers and investors," Mr. Lamb says.

The authentic lofts will have new windows in the original openings and exposed brick walls in some cases. The newly constructed lofts will offer floor-to-ceiling windows and balconies.

"We've tried to keep everything as open as possible," Mr. Walji says of all the layouts. "So you have large sliding doors to open up space for a den or bedroom."

Among the upgraded finishes and features that will be standard are nine-foot ceilings, engineered hardwood floors, high-gloss kitchen cabinetry and quartz countertops.

The monthly fee will be 45 cents a square foot, which, among other things, will cover the maintenance of a party room with a terrace and a proposed green space above.

Parking and lockers will be available.

Queen/Shuter, the intersection closest to me, has always seemed pretty tame. There are a few lone prostitutes around, though. I don't really understand being a prostitute in Canada, by the way. Must be a terrible market.

why pray tell would Canada be a terrible market for hookers? i find that very offensive. we have just as many sad desperate men here as anywhere else.

"What's really tremendous about Kormann House is that it's extending the success of Queen Street East further east," says Brad J. Lamb of Brad J. Lamb Realty, which will handle the sale of units in the building, as it has done in other condos, including the Glasshouse on Queen near Jarvis Street.

"It sold out in a weekend, and proved that Queen Street is a hot place to live," he says.

How many versions did they go through before it sold out in a weekend?

why pray tell would Canada be a terrible market for hookers? i find that very offensive. we have just as many sad desperate men here as anywhere else.

It just seems really cold, is all. It was weird seeing prostitutes all bundled up on the corner this past winter. I guess it shows real grit and determination.

Got this in my inbox today..

index_01.gif
index_03.jpg

It just seems really cold, is all. It was weird seeing prostitutes all bundled up on the corner this past winter. I guess it shows real grit and determination.

Except that you're judging the hooker market by the streetwalkers, who are a rather haggard anachronism.

These days, the "sad desperate men" don't pick up skid row wretches, they pick up their copy of NOW or Eye and call up some 60-buck brothel in an Asiancourt highrise.

I have been enjoying following this discussion so far.

The bottom line seems to be that in order to invest in a project like this, you have to have vision to be able to see past what the corner is today and imagine what it could be like in just 3-5 years from now.

Wouldn't it be strange if in 5 years people referred to Queen and Sherbourne like they do now to an intersection like King and Bathurst? Sounds crazy but if the 3 corners of develop'able land at Q+S are in fact re-developed into condos and retail, and Moss Park is "revitalized" by the City, combined with everything else that is already happening at Sherbourne+Richmond and Queen East towards Parliament, this could be a desirable place to be in the near-term. Imagine saying the words "I live at Queen and Sherbourne", and actually feeling good about saying it!

changes to the block

I stopped in today at the Kormann House "grand opening".

One of the Brad Lamb sales reps told me that:

1) The coffee time & buildings immediately to the south (i.e. those that were not bought up by the Modern) are currently up for sale; and
2) The Salvation Army Maxwell Meighen centre (just a bit north on Sherbourne, East side) had been purchased

Can anyone substantiate these claims?

I stopped in today at the Kormann House "grand opening".

One of the Brad Lamb sales reps told me that:

1) The coffee time & buildings immediately to the south (i.e. those that were not bought up by the Modern) are currently up for sale; and
2) The Salvation Army Maxwell Meighen centre (just a bit north on Sherbourne, East side) had been purchased

Can anyone substantiate these claims?

Wow, #2 would be huge for the neighbourhood. I don't really mind walking past that building (never had any issues) but the visual of a lot of disheveled people hanging outside 24-hours-a-day is probably a barrier to gentrification.

I haven't heard anything personally, though. Anyone else?

Wow, #2 would be huge for the neighbourhood.

The SA are putting the finishing touches to their new "shelter" - actually individual rooms I think - on the west side of Jarvis just north of Queen - so it would not be surprising if the Meighen was closed when that gets going. The next question is, are they going to close their shelter on Jarvis just south of Richmond. If so it's a pity thyey didn't do so in time for Vu to have expanded a bit further.

Back