in my opinion the sa is the predominate reason why this corner suffers. once (or if) they move, watch the neighbourhood turn around quickly.

Once the new Sally Ann shelter opens, I can see the residents sitting around discussing the old place like they're the Four Yorkshiremen. The new place is quite the Palace compared to the old.

"We lived in a shoebox in the middle 'the road".

Wouldn't it be strange if in 5 years people referred to Queen and Sherbourne like they do now to an intersection like King and Bathurst? Sounds crazy but if the 3 corners of develop'able land at Q+S are in fact re-developed into condos and retail, and Moss Park is "revitalized" by the City, combined with everything else that is already happening at Sherbourne+Richmond and Queen East towards Parliament, this could be a desirable place to be in the near-term. Imagine saying the words "I live at Queen and Sherbourne", and actually feeling good about saying it!
There's also a great streetwall of bulidings along the north side of Queen, just east of Sherbourne waiting to be loved.

I have also heard that the Salvation Army building will close when the new building at Jarvis and Shuter opens.

Jarvis is a much busier street for these gentlemen to hang around and continually attempt to cross as they do now. Might pose some problems...

I am picturing some sort of park on the south east corner of Jarvis and Shuter. What is there now? I'll try to swing by this stretch tomorrow...

I am picturing some sort of park on the south east corner of Jarvis and Shuter. What is there now? I'll try to swing by this stretch tomorrow...
The south-east corner of Jarvis/Shuter is part of the Moss Park Armoury - admittedly a green part of it. The Armoury runs on east side of Jarvis all the way from Shuter to Queen. To the east of it is Moss Park itself.

Here's some shots (north side of Queen Street) of the current neighbourhood, steps from The Kormann House site. The last shot is a gratuitous oversized panorama.

Pics of the new Salvation Army building (one block away) are here.

those are heritage, might prove difficult to develop.

They will not be redeveloped. A good cleaning would be in order. Now behind them there's room for development. That includes the Salvation Army property if indeed it will be closing.

You're right. That stretch of buildings on the north side of Queen, east of Sherbourne is quite nice. Just a good polishing is in order.

The south side of Queen, across from Moss Park, also has some high-end antique stores, which, when you consider their crazy prices, seem so peculiar in juxtaposition with all the homeless wandering the park.

And they're more a debased vestige of when this was more genuinely an antique/auctioneer row, back 70s/80s or so...

alafleur said:
Wouldn't it be strange if in 5 years people referred to Queen and Sherbourne like they do now to an intersection like King and Bathurst?

Strange? I think it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

I dunno. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the area around King & Bathurst as being rather sketchy. Of course this was about 20 years ago -- when that first biggish condo building going up near there was considered to be 'an outpost of civilization in the wild'.

Back