We are not Vancouver with a limited amount of land downtown. We could easily build another CBD on the Portlands with room to spare. And there's still plenty of lowrise buildings that could go in the current CBD. We won't run out out of land in our lifetime.

^Agreed. At the current rate of development, Toronto has enough "free" space left for another 10,000 years. For example, Dufferin, Keele, Bathurst, Lawrence, and all the acres of wasteland between has thousands of sites for future intensification.

go along the milton, or barrie or georgetown go lines and you see lots of undeveloped land.

There is now a huge swath of empty land on Black creek near Weston. You could easily put a 1000 townhouses in there... :p

Are there any plans to cover the substation? If not, the people in this building will have a great view!

I think it was discussed earlier in the thread, but it would be great if a building could be made on top of the substation so that it's completely hidden and the land could actually be taken advantage of for some density.

There is now a huge swath of empty land on Black creek near Weston. You could easily put a 1000 townhouses in there...
Edit/Delete Message

A condo and townhouse mix would work, however it will not become an urban village as well its not the best area.

Beside a semi highway (black creek drive) and a railway line....

Earlier in the thread I got jumped for voicing concern about the rapidly shrinking supply of good available employment land downtown and also about how this Tridel project is not on the most logical site for a condo as it's bordered by offices on three sides and a hydro station on the fourth...I feel so vindicated!

The lack of employment lands in the CBD is a legitimate concern. However, I think it is prudent to always build residential and office/employment/institutional uses in the same area. It allows for a more vibrant neighbourhood at all hours of the day. And if you don't buy that argument, the real argument is one of infrastructure. The city pays X hundreds of dollars for roads, sewers, pipes, etc for every parcel of land. I'd rather see those dollars be used all day and all night than selectively so that one area can be residential and one area and be solely office.

As has been stated already, there really is no shortage of land available to expand the CBD or build up other nodes in the city (Y&E, Bloor-Yorkville, NYCC, Bloor W, Portlands, SCC, Sheppard corridor, etc). They key is a mix of uses, intensification, in-fill and beautification.

i really hope some of the development along queen and king west move to dundas east and west and queen east....

The lack of employment lands in the CBD is a legitimate concern. However, I think it is prudent to always build residential and office/employment/institutional uses in the same area. It allows for a more vibrant neighbourhood at all hours of the day. And if you don't buy that argument, the real argument is one of infrastructure. The city pays X hundreds of dollars for roads, sewers, pipes, etc for every parcel of land. I'd rather see those dollars be used all day and all night than selectively so that one area can be residential and one area and be solely office.

As has been stated already, there really is no shortage of land available to expand the CBD or build up other nodes in the city (Y&E, Bloor-Yorkville, NYCC, Bloor W, Portlands, SCC, Sheppard corridor, etc). They key is a mix of uses, intensification, in-fill and beautification.

Except that I'm not a fan of condos on *this* site, not on some rhetorically vague site called "downtown." And as has been stated already, there is not a large amount of land left near Union station unless we start demolishing 30 storey office buildings to put up 60 storey towers. Other people may not see the Front & John site as prime office territory, and that's fine, but I think it's a pretty valuable, well-located site.

Except that I'm not a fan of condos on *this* site, not on some rhetorically vague site called "downtown." And as has been stated already, there is not a large amount of land left near Union station unless we start demolishing 30 storey office buildings to put up 60 storey towers. Other people may not see the Front & John site as prime office territory, and that's fine, but I think it's a pretty valuable, well-located site.
I kind of agree that an office tower would be more appropriate on this site, but that's sort of old fashioned district-thinking, I think. I'm glad they're building condos among the offices. It will eventually break up the clusters of office buildings that bring exactly zero life to the streets after work hours. The CBD is depressingly dead at night and on weekends. It'll be interesting to see how the CBD evolves once it's actually populated with people who live there.

There's already thousands of people living practically one block away. Just like how people make ridiculous claims that the two Spirits projects will suddenly flood the Distillery District with people, one condo at Front & John will do nothing to change the number of pedestrians at King & Bay on a Sunday afternoon.

No, but when you start adding projects like Maple Leaf Square (and various others to the mix), it will start to slowly change the way some people use the PATH and the way some retailers respond.

You guys won't be satisfied unless the TD Centre is demolished and replaced by the Tridel Centre. Why not accept the fact that not every street can or should be lined with stores and hopping with people at 3am?

Back