The escarpment is a defining natural landmark of Hamilton. I agree with planners. This is higher order stuff to protect views from 60 storey KirKor, G+C garbage blocking the views.

Highly disagree. The height limit is going to do nothing more than create a table-top skyline which will block out the entirety of the escarpment.

That doesn't make any sense. How would a height limit created to protect views be worse than no protection and allowing developers to build as tall as they want? I suspect we'll disagree on everything since you brought up table top. The table top skyline is the first response to any planning height restrictions. It doesn't matter if it's 30 storeys or 300 storeys; a dozen or more towers of similar height or only a small set. Even without limits, I theorize different developments in the same area, after the same price point, and built at the same time will end up similar in height anyways. Developers just don't care about height. They build tall out of necessity.

That doesn't make any sense. How would a height limit created to protect views be worse than no protection and allowing developers to build as tall as they want? I suspect we'll disagree on everything since you brought up table top. The table top skyline is the first response to any planning height restrictions. It doesn't matter if it's 30 storeys or 300 storeys; a dozen or more towers of similar height or only a small set. Even without limits, I theorize different developments in the same area, after the same price point, and built at the same time will end up similar in height anyways. Developers just don't care about height. They build tall out of necessity.

The idea that an escarpment height limit will "protect views" is false. What we've seen since the height limit was implemented is projects around the 40 storey mark are either making their way to the OMB (Television City) or they get downsized to 30 storeys (the escarpment height) while getting thicker, blocking out more of the escarpment that the height limit was implemented to "protect". And, most concerning, we're losing supply that we need in Hamilton. Recently a three-tower development downtown was downsized to fit in the height limit and lost hundreds of attainable condominium units. Worse, the DRP is suggesting for the development to be downsized to two-towers, losing even more supply.

I am sick and tired of "heights" and "density" and "views" and "character" overriding needed supply.

This is beyond stupid development. It's in the middle of nowhere with poor local transit. 1800 units is subway density. The heinous design is fitting. Hopefully, people aren't stupid enough to buy here should the developer have found a loophole.
Well I think it's kind of harsh to say this idea is beyond stupid. The Centennial GO train is starting to get built just down the street. And being right at the corner of the lake. You're right in the middle of the Golden Horseshoe area. And the View is pretty spectacular when you're looking at the skyline of Burlington through Toronto and so forth ! Which makes it a good selling point !

I think you have it backwards. Views of the escarpment from the downtown require the establishment of wider view corridors than the difference between a fatter and thinner towers. A 60 storey tower will obstruct the views from the escarpment. I prefer thinner towers and I agree it's not ideal if developers are just building fatter.

Density, unique public spaces (views), character is what makes a place interesting and separates Hamilton from the insta cities being developed across the GTA. 30 storeys isn't an unreasonable height either. It's certainly is not inhibiting supply. A couple projects shedding some units is not the end of the world you propose

Well I think it's kind of harsh to say this idea is beyond stupid. The Centennial GO train is starting to get built just down the street. And being right at the corner of the lake. You're right in the middle of the Golden Horseshoe area. And the View is pretty spectacular when you're looking at the skyline of Burlington through Toronto and so forth ! Which makes it a good selling point !

You're grasping at air bringing up regional transit service. It's 1800 units. This is downtown density without nearby, walkable destinations. Imagine if everyone living downtown had to board a train to get somewhere. 3200 residents and there's not even a tuck shop proposed with this development. How is this smart growth? Because it's tall with impressive view?

You're grasping at air bringing up regional transit service. It's 1800 units. This is downtown density without nearby, walkable destinations. Imagine if everyone living downtown had to board a train to get somewhere. 3200 residents and there's not even a tuck shop proposed with this development. How is this smart growth? Because it's tall with impressive view?[
Yes I think that 1800 units is quite a lot and that it should be toned down by at least one third or more. But there is going to be a lot of development happening in this area shown on a PDF viewing on the first page at the top. Explaining the density just in this area on Frances Avenue. This area might become like Hamilton's Humber Bay Area. With buses that will shuttle the people to the GO Station using the North and South Service Roads beside the highway via to the Centennial Street GO station.

. This area might become like Hamilton's Humber Bay Area. W.
Hmm?....interesting you say that
francis street.PNG

Yes I think that 1800 units is quite a lot and that it should be toned down by at least one third or more. But there is going to be a lot of development happening in this area shown on a PDF viewing on the first page at the top. Explaining the density just in this area on Frances Avenue. This area might become like Hamilton's Humber Bay Area. With buses that will shuttle the people to the GO Station using the North and South Service Roads beside the highway via to the Centennial Street GO station.

Humber Bay has an impressive skyline. It's a rushed master plan that is facing all sort of community deficiencies and head aches. It can still be rescued. It is hardly something anyone should be copying. The GO is a community benefit. It doesn't justify the density or half the density when it is the only community benefit that doesn't involve driving a car. We need to densify to get people out of cars and not into them. I can't believe this is even being debated. You build the civic amenities, local transit, infrastructure, employment, etc. and only then to you upzone for 60 storey towers and 3000 people living on a few hectares

At 2.5km away, the future Centennial GO train is of no planning relevance to this site.

I am impressed by the audacity of the developer.

I am not impressed with the architecture of these buildings, and it should go without saying that this development does not fit within the built context of the area, and would put undue stress on local infrastructure, servicing and commercial capacity.

I am anxious to see Hamilton grow and densify. I don't think this development is a good way to accomplish that however.

I am impressed by the audacity of the developer.

I am not impressed with the architecture of these buildings, and it should go without saying that this development does not fit within the built context of the area,
Did you look at the right in your face ugly looking eyesore of a condo across the QEW highway from the John Deere plant. I don't how and why they let that pass !

Did you look at the right in your face ugly looking eyesore of a condo across the QEW highway from the John Deere plant. I don't how and why they let that pass !
The condos being built in Grimsby didn't appear out of nowhere. There is a planning context to it.

Not to mention the Grimsby developments have much better access to the highway compared to this site (and hence to retail and amenities), and a future GO station being planned in their immediate vicinity.

The condos being built in Grimsby didn't appear out of nowhere. There is a planning context to it.

Not to mention the Grimsby developments have much better access to the highway compared to this site (and hence to retail and amenities), and a future GO station being planned in their immediate vicinity.
I understand the planning context concept. But look at the Aesthetics of the building. It's too modern looking for that area and to close to the highway.

Back