I wonder if Scotia Bank will move back in after the condos are built? Good opportunity for them to snatch up a lot of mortgaging business. lol
(if not, the nearest Scotia Bank will soon be Dupont & Howland, ground level of the Bianca Condo)

Last edited:
As someone living in the area, quite close to this corner.. I must say that it's certainly not the "destination" part of the annex. If I'm not headed into the subway I typically choose a walking/biking route that does not involve passing this particular intersection as I don't think there really are many nice elements to it. So I'm quite happy to see a proposal of this scale that is essentially above three rapid transit lines and will allow for more neighbours to move into the area and enjoy the vibe.

The streetscape could definitely be more inviting. Bring some of the warmer elements that exist further west along Bloor to this intersection. Hopefully the corner isn't wasted on a bank branch either.

Hopefully the corner isn't wasted on a bank branch either.
I'll agree with you, but the Scotia Bank could still sit a few doors down.
St. Clair & Bathurst is a good example of that one. TD isn't on the corner. It's over a bit, with the Bakery Garden Cafe on the corner. (Was Starbucks)

this seems like another example of a great proposal for the wrong location.

Another giant glass atrium isn't going to be an improvement from a street-level perspective. I'm not sure why local developers have such a difficult time creating intimate street level experiences with a variety of retail.
If the area is going to be spruced up, why not have an upscale Steak house on the ground level? Or something quiet and romantic that isn't a bar. That would be nice.

Reactions: syn
If the area is going to be spruced up, why not have an upscale Steak house on the ground level? Or something quiet and romantic that isn't a bar. That would be nice.

A restaurtant is a good idea - it's more how the building meets the street and connects to the intimate chracter of the area.

Preliminary Report on this one to the February 16th meeting of TEYCC.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-198845.pdf

From the above:

1643995687471.png

1643995725154.png

Commentary: Many of these are standard, as most here will recognize.

The flagging the TTC infrastructure is interesting.

I am assuming (but don't know) that its the tunnel for the Spadina LRT that may be considered an issue.

I'm probably of the lone opinion that while I like the design, this building is best suited somewhere else. As there is already *two significant towers already being proposed for that intersection there abouts + *one just further east. A fourth will make feel over bearing, soulless and even oppressive. Instead, there should be a focus of improving that corner including refining the elder structures already there. Plonk a missing middle on that corner Scotia building if need be. So for the record, I don't mind adding a tower here and there - I'm not against that. I just don't want that corner turning into Yonge & Eglinton, when it served the area so well for not being Yonge & Eglinton. Just saying.

*Source:

For reference, here's the partially fenced up parking lot mentioned above. However, it's not related to this project:
Google back to 2007-2012. There used to be trees there. That land (where the fencing is currently) may have been declared a tree protection zone by the city.
Sure, the trees are gone now, but maybe the new game plan is to plant new trees there and protect them.
Google reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...0b30c314f971ff!8m2!3d43.6676138!4d-79.4038891

Update: Two fairly longtime retail chains along that respective block of Second Cup (as of December 16, 2022) and now Pizza Pizza around the starting of this week apparently have closed down. I've been told by one of the store-that-was employees that the reason for this is because this development here is progressing ahead at a "fast pace". And other stores along that said block are slated to close soon after. Of course, I can't verify any of this...nor have I ruled out this is a correlation issue as both places that never quite rebounded after the lockdown as they would of liked to. So take this for what you will.

Last edited:
Update: Two fairly longtime retail chains along that respective block of Second Cup (as of December 16, 2022) and now Pizza Pizza around the starting of this week apparently have closed down. I've been told by one of the store-that-was employees that the reason for this is because this development here is progressing ahead at a "fast pace". And other stores along that said block are slated to close soon after. Of course, I can't verify any of this...nor have I ruled out this is a correlation issue as both places that never quite rebounded after the lockdown as they would of liked to. So take this for what you will.
Is the bank moving or closing permanently?? Reminder note: If the Spadina & Bloor Scotia Bank does close and not relocate, the current nearest location is @ Dupont & Howland where a new Scotia Bank recently opened.

Back