From Hayden.
96C6DA99-9768-4228-803C-B03587F2DCC1.jpeg

I had an interview in this building last week. Renovations inside are still in progress including the stairs down to the subway and the elevator area, but it's about 80% complete. I should mention that this building has GREAT views!

It's nice and all but the design language here--the rounded corners, the flowy curves--has nothing to do with the building above whatsoever. Nada. Zilch. Gurnicht. I guess the architects just willed themselves to believe there was no pre-existing architecture to work with, that this street-level refresh was an entirely discrete design exercise. 🙈🙉🙊

1592966011154.png

Source

Last edited:
It's nice and all but the design language here--the rounded corners, the flowy curves--has nothing to do with the building above whatsoever. Nada. Zilch. Gurnicht. I guess the architects just willed themselves to believe there was no pre-existing architecture to work with, that this street-level refresh was an entirely discrete design exercise. 🙈🙉🙊
Isn’t that like half the work (if not more) in this city? I mean, how many new condos truly take the heritage pedestals into account?

To be fair, there is no pre-existing architecture here.

AoD

has a Calatrava vibe to it.
Wal-Mart Calatrava, but I still prefer it to the Postmodern look from before.
I'd trade it all to have Roy's Square back.

Wal-Mart Calatrava, but I still prefer it to the Postmodern look from before.
I'd trade it all to have Roy's Square back.

That's actually an interesting thought. As Torontonians, we often marvel at places like Melbourne (and stretched to obvious choices like Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong) for their pedestrian walkway retail destinations. But Roy's Square captured it back in the day, albeit in a under-appreciated manner.

Last edited:
While I agree, the styles do clash a bit. But it does feel like the new part is growing out of the bottom, as opposed to being tacked on (unlike that W Hotel business across the road). So it seems weirdly natural for some reason to me.

Back