This unit was hovering over the site while equipment was removing some of the rubble. The police officer up front is taking pix of the site.

gouldfireb.jpg

shoot, there used to be a police camera at yonge and gould, and i thought it could have caught something to help in the investigation. but looking back at previous photos, I think they took it down around the time of sam the record man's demolition. hopefully there were other security cameras nearby, maybe on gould at ryerson

Last edited:
There's at least one camera outside the 10 Dundas E loading dock right next to this building.

EDIT: At the time of this Google View photo, there was a police camera right across the street:

screenshot20110105at110.png

Last edited:
There is so much weirdness surrounding this corner. Firstly, it sat vacant for about a year with for lease signs during one of the most robust leasing periods in Yonge-Dundas history. I am sure they had calls weekly from national credit worthy tenants able to afford the exorbitant rent they were asking (about $35,000 a month for 1800sf). Then, they put in an independent sushi restaurant...Very unlikely a small sushi restaurant could EVER make the rent numbers work unless they were selling unbelievable amounts of booze. Then...the building collapses and here we are today. The owners should be held accountable for the losses of the other tenants, the city and be fined for the disruption on Yonge St. I wonder if they will get the big clean up bill like Duke's did....I sure hope so...and then some

I wrote a note to Ford on Jan. 4th very much to this effect, suggesting all costs to the City since the wall collapse & losses from nearby businesses be referred back to the Lalani Group along with an appropraite fine. Heard nothing back. I also haven't heard a peep from his office in the media over what happened here, unless I missed it. Kristyn Wong-Tam has been out there in the media, but Ford has been notably absent.

Kristyn Wong-Tam has been BRILLIANT. I'm very proud of her involvement!

It was either the dude in the red jacket or the blurry-faced man disguised as a a window display.

I vote for the guy crossing the street- surely that bag is full of bbq brickettes.

Not a surprise that the building was left for dead, but it is shocking how brazenly it was destroyed. Heritage aside, deliberately igniting a fire in the downtown of a major city is not something to be taken lightly given the number of lives and property that is at risk.

Last edited:
I think there are also cameras at Ryerson and likely the loading dock at Metropolis/TLS/10DE as well that captures at least part of that section of Gould.

AoD

Ryerson has security cameras everywhere, including I believe around the bookstore, and around the Lib building (and looking back onto O'Keefe lane). I wonder if the footage from any of these cameras could be of help. There are very few sections of Ryerson that AREN'T in the view of one camera or another.

Couple of thoughts. The Yonge facade should be preserved. It can definitely be restored and incorporated into a new building. And I don`t but that nothing can be saved at this point. Brace the wall (as has been done many times with old facades) until the site is ready for redevelopment. Something from this building has to be saved, or the arsonists will truly win.

0104fire.jpg

DSCN4507.jpg

Second, Lalani Group should be boycotted. They have no business dealing with real estate in Toronto.

Back