I don't know what's going on here. Are they going to rebuild or is that it for this building?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1R7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 211059 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jul 2, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing three-storey mixed-use non-residential building (with one basement level) due to unsafe order 10-154738 UNS (2229m2).

Back to Search Results page

I don't know what's going on here. Are they going to rebuild or is that it for this building?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1R7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 211059 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jul 2, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing three-storey mixed-use non-residential building (with one basement level) due to unsafe order 10-154738 UNS (2229m2).

Back to Search Results page

sounds bad--maybe it was beyond saving--sucks for Salad King too, if thats the case.

If the entire building is being demolished this is a huge loss, and a heartbreaking one at that.

Knew it was too good to be true. that it would be restored.

More crap to be built at Yonge Dundas.....

Somehow, given its state, I was wondering if restoration was too good to be true--then again, this is one of those cases where I can't entirely rule out a reconstruction "as is", a la St Lawrence Hall's E wing...

Pretty sure a demolition and subsequent construction of a replica was on the cards.

Update from the Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/07/19/14759516.html

____

Summary:
City designated the building in July
Owner applying for demolition, but with the designation will have until Aug 7 to appeal the designation

Question:

Isn't there any bylaws that allow the city to prosecute absentee owners that failed to maintain their property to the extent that it endangers both users and pedestrians? If not, why not. If yes, why hasn't it been utilized?

AoD

Question:

Isn't there any bylaws that allow the city to prosecute absentee owners that failed to maintain their property to the extent that it endangers both users and pedestrians? If not, why not. If yes, why hasn't it been utilized?

AoD

very good question

Regrettable as the loss of a historic piece of architecture is, I believe this building is at the end of it's useful days. The damage might have been repairable when it first happened, but the subsequent measures really did pull the building under.

Sadly, I agree that it will likely be replaced with some completely uninspired store fronts, but I am still an optimist and hope for the best (hell, I still have a Leafs flag at my desk!). My only last hope is that the demolition comes swiftly, as this corner is a first rate eyesore at this point.

That the owners want demolition is entirely predictable. The building was already a classic example of demolition by neglect in progress.

Anything can be restored if enough money is thrown at it. The City should accept nothing less than full restoration, with the owners footing the bill.

whatever the outcome, its frustrating to see such a long delay on action here. Already 3 months and still scoffolding blocking street lanes and sidewalks and a restaurant and its employees out of business..

This in today's Globe - there may be some hope!

President Sheldon Levy[Ryerson University] has approached Primaris, the real-estate company buying land on Yonge, about some kind of joint development. He is also leaning on the city to “take whatever action necessary” to deal with the semi-collapsed building at Gould Street, which has been surrounded by hoardings since April. He said in an interview that he hopes to buy the property, which is owned by a development company in Mumbai.

I will forgive President Levy for nearly pushing me into a fire hydrant a few years back if he can save the day.

Back