innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Zoning By-law Amendment application to facilitate the development of the site for a 45-storey residential tower atop a 4-storey podium base. The proposed residential gross floor area is 26,923 square metres. A total of 483 residential dwelling units are proposed, of which, 32 units will be rental replacement units.

Site as is:

1627392628751.png

taken from: https://www.rew.ca/buildings/16049/383-sherbourne-street-toronto-on

1627392682676.png

Aerial view:

1627392854949.png

Site size: 1436m2 / 15,456ft2

Heritage: Both buildings are covered by the Cabbagetown Heritage Conservation District.

Based on the latest available Google streetview image from late 2020, the existing building at 387 Sherbourne has already been vacated and sits boarded up.

It also looks to be just south of the Green P parking lot that is for a Housing Now development:

sherb.JPG

I know the owner of 36 Bleecker Street - whoever is assembling this property has been trying to get the lots on Bleecker as well, but was clearly not successful. Curious to see the proposal.

Last edited:
I know the owner of 36 Bleeker Street - whoever is assembling this property has been trying to get the lots on Bleeker as well, but was clearly not successful. Curious to see the proposal.

32/36 seem marginally out of place on that block.

But 50 is well and truly odd looking.

After looking at these 'renders' and those for the Yonge/St. Clair proposal........

I'm wondering if IBI has added an option for clients for 'cheapest, lowest-resolution renders possible'.........

I'm also wondering if thats a discount option or an extra, in that it can obscure a second-rate design, ever so slightly.

(Its extra if you don't want people to be able to make out the design)

Last edited:
I'm usually an IBI critic but I think this is a pretty handsome tower (if done in precast and not cheap aluminum). Looks simple and clean - would love the glazing to be recessed from the (hopefully-)precast more, but that's a problem with all condo tower designs.
Agreed, it's decent filler.

After looking at these 'renders' and those for the Yonge/St. Clair proposal........

I'm wondering if IBI has added an option for clients for 'cheapest, lowest-resolution renders possible'.........

I'm also wondering if that a discount option or an extra, in that it can obscure a second-rate design, ever so slightly.

(Its extra if you don't want people to be able to make out the design)

And it hasn't even been value engineered yet!

Looks like the tower on the SE corner of Jarvis & Dundas - which is decent enough, but I'm not sure we need to have more than one of them so close together. As for the 'heritage' base, I suppose the bricks will add some colours to the usual black/grey/white template of recent Toronto condos, but this type of apartment buildings is a dime a dozen in Toronto.

I'm usually an IBI critic but I think this is a pretty handsome tower (if done in precast and not cheap aluminum). Looks simple and clean - would love the glazing to be recessed from the (hopefully-)precast more, but that's a problem with all condo tower designs.

Tastes will vary; I find it too square, and well, square.........I think it looks a bit dated. (tower portion)
Frankly, this is one case where I'm not sold on heritage preservation; but if you're going to bother, I don't feel the tower design and base play well together.
The drawings are so bad it's hard to draw a proper inference, but that glass spine down the Sherbourne face seems very 1990 to me.
I'm not taken by this one.

But to each their own! :)

Last edited:

Back