I agree completely that the east tower lends itself to turning red.

If not, why not 86 the notion that the centre glass (curtain-wall?) is fooling us into believing these are 2 towers... and splash that with colour ?

(the blue/grey cult shudders at the thought).

850a9b3342e669e4.jpg_20210325174602_810x510.jpg

Link
Kind of like The Whitfield?

Kind of like The Whitfield?
I meant a red toned (perhaps lighter or darker) brick precast similar to the podium ... but the Whitfield idea might work well too (painted).

If I had to choose between the designs for this site, I would rather choose the original one, with the gold fins. That at least looked better than what is currently proposed. Preferably, I would not choose any, and rather keep the current building.

Another parking question…
Would we just keep the current gate, which is the only gate on P2?
With the separation, that means we have P1, P2 and P3 all for our building. P1 will also have some retail and office parking spaces, but the rest will be private for 25. P1 will no longer be entirely public. Would we have to add another gate at P1? Since some residents would probably park at P1, and would like to have it gated like P2/P3.

If I had to choose between the designs for this site, I would rather choose the original one, with the gold fins. That at least looked better than what is currently proposed. Preferably, I would not choose any, and rather keep the current building.

Another parking question…
Would we just keep the current gate, which is the only gate on P2?
With the separation, that means we have P1, P2 and P3 all for our building. P1 will also have some retail and office parking spaces, but the rest will be private for 25. P1 will no longer be entirely public. Would we have to add another gate at P1? Since some residents would probably park at P1, and would like to have it gated like P2/P3.
Those are probably best asked of the Board at 25 The Esplanade (MTCC 850) who presumably know the answers.

Those are probably best asked of the Board at 25 The Esplanade (MTCC 850) who presumably know the answers.
Our condo board does not own the parking, and whenever I ask questions about it, most of the time they do not know, as they have nothing to do with it. I’ll just wait for the resident newsletter and see what the lawyers have to say about it.

Our condo board does not know. Silver Group Hotel has not communicated their intention.
Both parties are aware of the issues.
This affects more than just parking so the board is aware and will be engaged if project moves forward. It can’t move forward without a negotiation or legal action.

The City does not care that this proposal is stealing the parking allowance from another building. I guess the removal of parking minimums might be the argument. Maybe we can steal the parking allowance back from 45 through the courts? We would need to punch a couple of holes through the wall for walking access.

@Bibi L
If the parking lot is severed there will only be 118 spots left under 25 The Esplanade proper.
We have a contract for up to 244 parking spots if required. I believe the current number of residents requiring monthly parking is over 110 spots for the 571 condo units but I don’t have the current amount or trend.
I’m not aware of the commercial or retail lease allowances if any. Public/visitor would not exist.

I assume Silver Group Hotel’s easiest way out for future parking would be monthly parking for 120 spots for 25 only. One gate at the front entrance and see what the Judge decides.

No point getting all excited if this proposal doesn’t move forward anytime soon or ever.

Our condo board does not know. Silver Group Hotel has not communicated their intention.
This affects more than just parking so the board is aware and will be engaged if project moves forward. It can’t move forward without a negotiation or legal action.

The City does not care that this proposal is stealing the parking allowance from another building. I guess the removal of parking minimums might be the argument. Maybe we can steal the parking allowance back from 45 through the courts? We would need to punch a couple of holes through the wall for walking access.

@Bibi L
If the parking lot is severed there will only be 118 spots left under 25 The Esplanade proper.
We have a contract for up to 244 parking spots if required. I believe the current number of residents requiring monthly parking is over 110 spots for the 571 condo units but I don’t have the current amount or trend.
I’m not aware of the commercial or retail lease allowances if any. Public/visitor would not exist.

I assume Silver Group Hotel’s easiest way out for future parking would be monthly parking for 120 spots for 25 only. One gate at the front entrance and see what the Judge decides.

No point getting all excited if this proposal doesn’t move forward anytime soon or ever.
I think P1 might still have to remain partly public, as the residential elevators skip P1, and only go to P2/P3. The only elevator to go to P1 is the office elevator, which is not private residential. Since the current use for P1 is public, the private elevators skip it. Another elevator to P1 only is Novotel obviously. If the parking lot is severed, P1 might still be used as public, assuming Silver Hotel Group retains ownership, as they would also have to sell the office and retail at 25/35.
Would that mean we wouldn’t really have 118 private spots?
I don’t think there are any contracts to allocate parking spots for the offices and retail. P1 is just public, used for hotel and others. So I assume office and retail use it, as it is connected with their own elevator that leads to P1, being a convenient option. We can’t really turn it completely private, as the offices have the elevator that leads to P1.

I’m not excited for this proposal. I hope they can make up their minds and just outright cancel this. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the current building is so much better. It would also just cause too many problems. I’m just worried how it will affect us. And also a loss in architecture.

I think P1 might still have to remain partly public, as the residential elevators skip P1, and only go to P2/P3. The only elevator to go to P1 is the office elevator, which is not private residential. Since the current use for P1 is public, the private elevators skip it. Another elevator to P1 only is Novotel obviously. If the parking lot is severed, P1 might still be used as public, assuming Silver Hotel Group retains ownership, as they would also have to sell the office and retail at 25/35.
Would that mean we wouldn’t really have 118 private spots?
I don’t think there are any contracts to allocate parking spots for the offices and retail. P1 is just public, used for hotel and others. So I assume office and retail use it, as it is connected with their own elevator that leads to P1, being a convenient option. We can’t really turn it completely private, as the offices have the elevator that leads to P1.

I’m not excited for this proposal. I hope they can make up their minds and just outright cancel this. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the current building is so much better. It would also just cause too many problems. I’m just worried how it will affect us. And also a loss in architecture.
Good point. We would loose up to 31 spots down to a total of 77 spots for 110+ users of 571 condo owners if the P1 level was not dedicated for 25 The Esplanade.

I assume SHG will still own the new hotel and their current assets. If not, could they convert and sell the 2nd floor offices as condos and open the residential elevators to the new 2nd floor? Doesn’t help the parking numbers but it does help access and security. Someone would still need to own and manage the retail.

Maybe 45 should dig down an extra floor for the additional parking. Haha.

Fun stuff trying to server an existing property for this project.

@Bibi L

Though I am not sure that this is best discussed on this thread (or even this Forum); this is an interesting issue. Surely there must be legal agreements about the parking arrangements - who pays to maintain the structure? , who cleans it?, was rent charged? If there is a contract for 244 parking spots as you note, does it have an end date and who are the parties (MTCC 850 and the Silver Group?)? It is certainly an interesting 'property dispute' and I can see some lawyers getting rich over it. Presumably MTCC 850 has been noting the existence (if not the details) of this 'contract' in Status Certificates and the whole contract should be available to owners (and potential owners) as a "Core Record' of the Condo Corp.

Good point. We would loose up to 31 spots down to a total of 77 spots for 110+ users of 571 condo owners if the P1 level was not dedicated for 25 The Esplanade.

I assume SHG will still own the new hotel and their current assets. If not, could they convert and sell the 2nd floor offices as condos and open the residential elevators to the new 2nd floor? Doesn’t help the parking numbers but it does help access and security. Someone would still need to own and manage the retail.

Maybe 45 should dig down an extra floor for the additional parking. Haha.

Fun stuff trying to server an existing property for this project.
I think opening up the current elevators to the office floors would be a lot of work. Even if the condo board were to buy back the offices, I think they would keep it as office space? You would have to convert the offices to condos, create the lobby, make holes in the concrete core for the elevators, and then also program and add buttons to the existing elevators to stop at floor 2. The 2nd floor is also accessible in a separate lobby. When you enter the foyer of the building, left is “offices” right is “residential” the 2nd floor is accessible through stairs or its own elevator. The second floor was originally built as office space so I don’t think they want to compromise that. Offices are considered separate from 25 with its own address (35). It wouldn’t make sense for two different lobbies for both residential purposes. One having 5 elevators that stop at every floor, and one having a single elevator stopping just at level 2, and P1, with some stairs. Residents who would live on floor two probably would like to access through the new lobby, but would also not have access to P2 and P3, and no concierge. However, if they do take the tower elevators, then they can access P2 and P3, and the amenities. Elevator lobby would be strange for the second floor. The only floor with 6 elevators. And one random elevator that is very limited with floors.

I think the current layout is fine. Residential lobby on the right (25 The Esplanade), with 5 elevators, stopping from P2/P3, skipping P1 and floor 2, and going all the way up to floor 33. On the left, offices (35 The Esplanade). Elevator leading only to P1, lobby, and floor 2. Some stairs if you don’t wanna take an elevator. It’s separated.

When you take the ramp down to P2, there are still a couple parking spots right before you hit the gate, that are publicly accessible. My guess is that we could add another gate at the same spot as P2, but on P1. Add it a little bit after the elevator lobby for 35 The Esplanade, and the offices have some public spaces, and we have a little bit of private spaces on P1 too. Although accessibility won’t be great, the security is better.

If 45 were to dig another floor, I don’t even know how it’s possible to dig another floor for us. That would be unfair! They have 4 parking levels while we have very limited 3 parking levels.

This is definitely an interesting development.

Though I am not sure that this is best discussed on this thread (or even this Forum); this is an interesting issue. Surely there must be legal agreements about the parking arrangements - who pays to maintain the structure? , who cleans it?, was rent charged? If there is a contract for 244 parking spots as you note, does it have an end date and who are the parties (MTCC 850 and the Silver Group?)? It is certainly an interesting 'property dispute' and I can see some lawyers getting rich over it. Presumably MTCC 850 has been noting the existence (if not the details) of this 'contract' in Status Certificates and the whole contract should be available to owners (and potential owners) as a "Core Record' of the Condo Corp.
Okay. Silver Hotel Group owns the whole parking lot. As well as the Novotel hotel, retail and office of 25 The Esplanade (35 The Esplanade) of course, the residential part of 25 The Esplanade (floors 3-33, including residential lobby) are owned by MTCC 850. However, the parking is run by different companies, like Impark, or now, TargetPark. The condo board has nothing to do with the garage. The only thing they have is a contract with Silver Hotel Group to reserve P2 and P3 behind a gate for residents of 25 The Esplanade. The maintenance of the garage has some finger pointing. Residents of 25 The Esplanade have often complained about the condition of the garage, but the condo board can’t do anything about it, they’ve forwarded the complaints to Silver Hotel Group and Impark (the parking operator at the time) and Impark had argued that they do not own the parking, and just run it, they said that Silver Hotel Group is responsible with the condition of the parking. Silver Hotel Group just said the same thing, they said Impark should be the ones to maintain it, since they’re running it. The contract to reserve 244 spots for 25 The Esplanade has been breached from time to time, thanks to TargetPark and how they want to make an extra buck. When the P1 level is at capacity, they often open P2 and P3 to the public, and anyone can park there. This is only done for a period of time, and not all the time. Somebody who parked behind the gate after being redirected by TargetPark, came back to the parking lot only to find their car behind a gate, locked. Lol. This parking lot is… interesting. I don’t understand why Avro (the developer of 25/35/45) didn’t just separate the parking? Why does it have to be shared under 25/35/45? Why did they retain ownership of the whole thing.

I think opening up the current elevators to the office floors would be a lot of work. Even if the condo board were to buy back the offices, I think they would keep it as office space? You would have to convert the offices to condos, create the lobby, make holes in the concrete core for the elevators, and then also program and add buttons to the existing elevators to stop at floor 2. The 2nd floor is also accessible in a separate lobby. When you enter the foyer of the building, left is “offices” right is “residential” the 2nd floor is accessible through stairs or its own elevator. The second floor was originally built as office space so I don’t think they want to compromise that. Offices are considered separate from 25 with its own address (35). It wouldn’t make sense for two different lobbies for both residential purposes. One having 5 elevators that stop at every floor, and one having a single elevator stopping just at level 2, and P1, with some stairs. Residents who would live on floor two probably would like to access through the new lobby, but would also not have access to P2 and P3, and no concierge. However, if they do take the tower elevators, then they can access P2 and P3, and the amenities. Elevator lobby would be strange for the second floor. The only floor with 6 elevators. And one random elevator that is very limited with floors.

I think the current layout is fine. Residential lobby on the right (25 The Esplanade), with 5 elevators, stopping from P2/P3, skipping P1 and floor 2, and going all the way up to floor 33. On the left, offices (35 The Esplanade). Elevator leading only to P1, lobby, and floor 2. Some stairs if you don’t wanna take an elevator. It’s separated.

When you take the ramp down to P2, there are still a couple parking spots right before you hit the gate, that are publicly accessible. My guess is that we could add another gate at the same spot as P2, but on P1. Add it a little bit after the elevator lobby for 35 The Esplanade, and the offices have some public spaces, and we have a little bit of private spaces on P1 too. Although accessibility won’t be great, the security is better.

If 45 were to dig another floor, I don’t even know how it’s possible to dig another floor for us. That would be unfair! They have 4 parking levels while we have very limited 3 parking levels.

This is definitely an interesting development.

Okay. Silver Hotel Group owns the whole parking lot. As well as the Novotel hotel, retail and office of 25 The Esplanade (35 The Esplanade) of course, the residential part of 25 The Esplanade (floors 3-33, including residential lobby) are owned by MTCC 850. However, the parking is run by different companies, like Impark, or now, TargetPark. The condo board has nothing to do with the garage. The only thing they have is a contract with Silver Hotel Group to reserve P2 and P3 behind a gate for residents of 25 The Esplanade. The maintenance of the garage has some finger pointing. Residents of 25 The Esplanade have often complained about the condition of the garage, but the condo board can’t do anything about it, they’ve forwarded the complaints to Silver Hotel Group and Impark (the parking operator at the time) and Impark had argued that they do not own the parking, and just run it, they said that Silver Hotel Group is responsible with the condition of the parking. Silver Hotel Group just said the same thing, they said Impark should be the ones to maintain it, since they’re running it. The contract to reserve 244 spots for 25 The Esplanade has been breached from time to time, thanks to TargetPark and how they want to make an extra buck. When the P1 level is at capacity, they often open P2 and P3 to the public, and anyone can park there. This is only done for a period of time, and not all the time. Somebody who parked behind the gate after being redirected by TargetPark, came back to the parking lot only to find their car behind a gate, locked. Lol. This parking lot is… interesting. I don’t understand why Avro (the developer of 25/35/45) didn’t just separate the parking? Why does it have to be shared under 25/35/45? Why did they retain ownership of the whole thing.
You note: "I think opening up the current elevators to the office floors would be a lot of work. Even if the condo board were to buy back the offices, I think they would keep it as office space?"
Under the Condo Act, the Condo board could not 'buy back' any space and certainly could not use the Reserve Fund to do so or to make changes to it. . Any change to the common elements or the services offered by the Corporation would require over 66% of ALL Owners to agree. I realise there is a serious problem but the idea of the Corporation simply buying space is unrealistic. There clearly is a contract of some sort about the garage/parking and the first step would surely be to ensure it was being followed and, if not, ensure it is. I assume (and hope) that all your Status Certificates have info on the parking situation and the contact with Silver - perhaps you can post exactly what the Status Certs say? Any Agreements are supposed to be listed in a Status;
1721494036523.png

You note: "I think opening up the current elevators to the office floors would be a lot of work. Even if the condo board were to buy back the offices, I think they would keep it as office space?"
Under the Condo Act, the Condo board could not 'buy back' any space and certainly could not use the Reserve Fund to do so or to make changes to it. . Any change to the common elements or the services offered by the Corporation would require over 66% of ALL Owners to agree. I realise there is a serious problem but the idea of the Corporation simply buying space is unrealistic. There clearly is a contract of some sort about the garage/parking and the first step would surely be to ensure it was being followed and, if not, ensure it is. I assume (and hope) that all your Status Certificates have info on the parking situation and the contact with Silver - perhaps you can post exactly what the Status Certs say? Any Agreements are supposed to be listed in a Status;
View attachment 581948
So would that mean the condo would not be able to buy back the parking, which should have always been ours? Condo board never owned it in the first place, but I think most residents would want the parking to be under the condo’s management. As I think they would fix a lot of problems there. Clearly Silver and TargetPark aren’t doing enough to maintain the garage.

Our condo board held a meeting with the decision to open up the private parking. This is what they had to say.

On November 2023, our board addressed concerns about the parking garage. The operator's decision to open gated areas to transient parkers across P2 and P3 sparked discussions during an informal Town Hall. MTCC 850 clarified they don't own the garage but have an agreement for 244 priority spaces behind a security gate, allowing the operator to monetize unused spaces. The Board of Directors is holding ongoing meetings with the owner and operator to resolve issues. To ensure safety and security, residents were asked to report any unauthorized building entries, monitor gated area access, refrain from granting entry to strangers, and promptly report incidents to both TargetPark and the management office.

That’s the most up-to-date newsletter I have from our board. Not sure what the update is. But I do know that opening P2 and P3 to the public is still the case.

So would that mean the condo would not be able to buy back the parking, which should have always been ours? Condo board never owned it in the first place, but I think most residents would want the parking to be under the condo’s management. As I think they would fix a lot of problems there. Clearly Silver and TargetPark aren’t doing enough to maintain the garage.

Our condo board held a meeting with the decision to open up the private parking. This is what they had to say.

On November 2023, our board addressed concerns about the parking garage. The operator's decision to open gated areas to transient parkers across P2 and P3 sparked discussions during an informal Town Hall. MTCC 850 clarified they don't own the garage but have an agreement for 244 priority spaces behind a security gate, allowing the operator to monetize unused spaces. The Board of Directors is holding ongoing meetings with the owner and operator to resolve issues. To ensure safety and security, residents were asked to report any unauthorized building entries, monitor gated area access, refrain from granting entry to strangers, and promptly report incidents to both TargetPark and the management office.

That’s the most up-to-date newsletter I have from our board. Not sure what the update is. But I do know that opening P2 and P3 to the public is still the case.
Though I agree that having parking either as "Exclusive use common elements" or actually owned by individual Unit owners would be good, I doubt STRONGLY you can get to either of these situations. As an Owner (I assume) you can apply for a copy of all Corporation Records and the Parking Contract is clearly a Core Record. There is an official process and Form at: https://www.condoauthorityontario.ca/resource/guide-to-condo-records/ Let us know what you find, it is an unusual arrangement AFIK.

Back