Despite all the problems with 55 Stewart, they are still commanding $600 psf in the resale market.

I've lived in a Freed building and let me tell you, the finishes and workmanship are far superior than the majority of other projects out there.

The point being that not every building is the same.

It's unfortunate to hear about the issues at 55 Stewart, but it isn't unusual with new condos.

For 1.5 mill I'd expect a stellar custom design, not a re-hashed facade. In a few years these gray bricks will be a trendy as those white bricks used in the 60s and 70s...on those low rise strip malls you see in the burbs.

Glazed white brick went out of style, but people are warming up to it again, and it probably for the long run. It hasn't hurt Uno Prii's apartment buildings, which are as popular as ever. Some have even waiting lists. The popularity of black brick may wane, but will probably prove resilient in the long run. It's a colour that seems modern and allows for contrasts with older buildings which maintaining a historical connection in terms of the cladding of Toronto's buildings. It's used but has its merits.

April 15
5624613353_f8f7c4b323_b.jpg

5625207164_fbd4fc996d_b.jpg

5625190242_6596412e28_b.jpg

5625187640_6f3df6ee34_b.jpg

5624594911_46505dc1ef_b.jpg

5625186112_e5bc238313_b.jpg

5624601819_0b1373ce78_b.jpg

The 2nd picture is Victory Condos

Yup, but this joint costs at least 1.2 million more per unit. Freed really fell down on this project, uninspiring, just his usual exposed concrete with glass windows. There used to be a time when builders actually finished a unit, now they leave the ceilings as exposed, drying, off-gassing, blotchy concrete and call it a "feature".

Laughing all the way to the bank... :(

"..his usual exposed concrete with glass windows"
Freed has never built anything like this before and it is much higher end than his last project at 75 Portland. There is no glass curtain wall on anything he has ever done.
I would let him finish it first, then you can judge.
He also has only sold half of these units, so he is not laughing yet.

Right. Who wants to live in a 1.5-3 million dollar condos crammed beside the upcoming el-cheapo (200k+) 'This is Downtown Condos' (nothing like two years of construction noise and mess beside you), and overlooking a charming filthy back alley and strip club, also squished beside and looking into 75 Portland condo windows? I'm talking about the usual freed style of exposed interior concrete ceilings and interior pillars (aka too cheap to finish the interior & ceailing with even builders grade drywall and paint but it's sold as a "feature") , with an exterior of mostly glass windows.

Right. Who wants to live in a 1.5-3 million dollar condos crammed beside the upcoming el-cheapo (200k+) 'This is Downtown Condos' (nothing like two years of construction noise and mess beside you), and overlooking a charming filthy back alley and strip club, also squished beside and looking into 75 Portland condo windows? I'm talking about the usual freed style of exposed interior concrete ceilings and interior pillars (aka too cheap to finish the interior & ceailing with even builders grade drywall and paint but it's sold as a "feature") , with an exterior of mostly glass windows.

This sounds personal. We get it, you don't like Freed.

As far as the concrete, you really think Freed is too "cheap" to drywall it? You think he's not drywalling the ceilings in attempt to cut costs in this project? Get real, dude.

My guess is that the remaining units will sell quickly once they are completed. Freed sold his place up top of 66 Portland for a tidy profit, and the penthouse at 10 Morrison sold a little while ago for about $2.5 million (almost double the original price).

Taking into consideration the size of these suites, they are not outrageously priced.

I believe they are at least 70% sold.
The interior finishes is really nice and far more upscale than their other developments.
The ceilings are finished with recessed lighting -- I wouldn't expect any less at this price point.

Wellington is a nice quiet street, however the location of 500 Wellington is a little too crammed against 75 Portland and the upcoming 'This is Downtown' Condo development.
You are buying into exclusivity and huge units (2,400-6,000 s.f.). Where else in the Entertainment District you can find new construction of less than 30 units (or anywhere downtown)? So pricing is about right.
I think it will be a nice building once it's finished -- it's way too early to tell right now.

Back