I think what they're trying to do is create a link between the uncomfortably incoherent streetscape north on Spadina to the cozy clutter of Harbord. They've provided a cue to whoever develops the corner that they should create a streetwall that supports that.

The aesthetics and materials are mediocre but at least it's trying to be civil, unlike that stupidly hostile Graduate House.

Hopefully they preserve the Victorian house when that area gets redeveloped to help maintain the street wall. And reconstruct the demolished middle portion.

I don’t mind and do appreciate the building extending to the sidewalk. But it is hilarious to me that we have this new building with this red brick tacked on facade imitating a saved heritage facade.

Saving old storefronts with new builds behind has become the norm here in Toronto so much so that we are designing new builds this way.

I don't get this take.

The architectural language of the brick podium is not historical. I wouldn't necessarily mind if it were; but it isn't.

The angling on the brick columns and the window styles are not historical, there's also no traditional cornice.

Its a brick podium to me. Nothing about it says heritage.

I don't get this take.

The architectural language of the brick podium is not historical. I wouldn't necessarily mind if it were; but it isn't.

The angling on the brick columns and the window styles are not historical, there's also no traditional cornice.

It’s a brick podium to me. Nothing about it says heritage.
Why are they using different materials for this little section than on the tower? It looks tacked on and looks like they are trying to make it look like A heritage building that is saved. It is absurd to me, that’s all.

Why are they using different materials for this little section than on the tower? It looks tacked on and looks like they are trying to make it look like A heritage building that is saved. It is absurd to me, that’s all.

The brick is the more attractive material; and they are using a different treatment on the tower because its cheaper.

Brick does not equal heritage in my mind.

Perish the thought of bringing that white panel vernacular down to grade. A tagger's paradise.

I don't think greenleaf is suggesting the brick portion itself looks historical, rather it has a tacked-on look that is akin to a preserved heritage facade. I'm inclined to agree, the integration is somewhat jarring.

Taken on its own the brick portion is pretty sharp though.

A proctologist once said to me is the best way to see what's going on is from the back end...

20231212_134827.jpg

...taken by moi earlier today under overcast'ish conditions. And for what that's worth.

i thought this build was going to have balconies protruding outwards? I don't see any? this is kind of depressing, this build reminds me so much of The Waverley which is a bit south at Spadina and College but more glitchy if that makes sense?

I wonder why they have the all glass corner panel in the north-east corner and south-west corner.. they missed the best view of the spadina ave + CN tower together which is the South-East corner
Also, spoke with the old building manager, and they said this build is meant to be 'luxury', idk what that means, anyone have any clue?

Back