Where do you find that information?

You need the exact address though. So for example the McMaster Grad Residence is marketed as "10Bay" but it's actually 191 King St W I believe, at least for the permits. I usually use this to find the exact address if Google isn't clear: https://spatialsolutions.maps.arcgi...ndex.html?id=63e206c3d6344daabbdf384c94ebdfc5

They can just be lining up approvals for the 30 storey version to get construction underway and fight for the 40 storeys in the interim. They only need the 40 storey approvals once construction hits the 40th floor..
Typo? Or are you implying they will just go right past 30 and ‘ask’ once the additional 10 storeys are built?

Typo? Or are you implying they will just go right past 30 and ‘ask’ once the additional 10 storeys are built?
Thanks - I meant once construction hits the 30th floor. They can advance permits and approvals for a 30-storey building so that they can start on parking, etc. in the interim while they pursue the higher-risk 40-storey ask.

Thanks - I meant once construction hits the 30th floor. They can advance permits and approvals for a 30-storey building so that they can start on parking, etc. in the interim while they pursue the higher-risk 40-storey ask.
Yeah that makes more sense, lol. Its definitely lucrative- my only concern is we’ve said this before, and yet no one’s ever actually put in a subsequent application for 40 storeys (after revising to, or starting at 30–yet). They seem content just chopping the 10. This includes Cobalt, the Rebecca, etc.

I wonder if there’s something to gain by doing this, ala concessions from the city to stop pushing the button. It would make sense if they’re scared of the OLT/it’s possible rulings…

The only pattern I notice is that the larger the proposal overall, the less they’ll budge on more height. See the Jackson proposal, Stoney Creek’s waterfront, etc. Just different things at play.

Yeah that makes more sense, lol. Its definitely lucrative- my only concern is we’ve said this before, and yet no one’s ever actually put in a subsequent application for 40 storeys (after revising to, or starting at 30–yet). They seem content just chopping the 10. This includes Cobalt, the Rebecca, etc.

I wonder if there’s something to gain by doing this, ala concessions from the city to stop pushing the button. It would make sense if they’re scared of the OLT/it’s possible rulings…

The only pattern I notice is that the larger the proposal overall, the less they’ll budge on more height. See the Jackson proposal, Stoney Creek’s waterfront, etc. Just different things at play.
117 Jackson has submitted (and been denied) for 39 storeys. They are going to the OLT on a hearing about it shortly, I believe. They are going to be the proverbial guinea pig on pushing the City's height limit.

Vranich has also submitted for 41 storeys at 200 Market St. That one is behind Jackson in the process however.

Stoney Creek waterfront was an interesting case where there was some unusual underlying zoning with no maximum heights or densities so the developer could go as tall as they wanted, more or less. The City has now brought in a city-wide 30-storey height limit to try to prevent that kind of thing happening again.

I think Core is getting lined up to submit a 40-storey application if 117 Jackson's hearing goes well, as they know it'll be worth fighting for at the OLT then. If not, they proceed with the 30-storey plan. Jackson's decision will likely be out earlyish in 2025, so we'll know if the height limit is broken or not by then.

117 Jackson has submitted (and been denied) for 39 storeys. They are going to the OLT on a hearing about it shortly, I believe. They are going to be the proverbial guinea pig on pushing the City's height limit.

Vranich has also submitted for 41 storeys at 200 Market St. That one is behind Jackson in the process however.

Stoney Creek waterfront was an interesting case where there was some unusual underlying zoning with no maximum heights or densities so the developer could go as tall as they wanted, more or less. The City has now brought in a city-wide 30-storey height limit to try to prevent that kind of thing happening again.

I think Core is getting lined up to submit a 40-storey application if 117 Jackson's hearing goes well, as they know it'll be worth fighting for at the OLT then. If not, they proceed with the 30-storey plan. Jackson's decision will likely be out earlyish in 2025, so we'll know if the height limit is broken or not by then.
I think a lot of parties will be interested based on the OLT decision- I agree that it’s the watershed moment. I guess Ive been meaning to say that it seems the city has been trying to avoid this scenario, though imo it was inevitable.

The Stoney Creek case is an anomaly, but it’s still notably a large suburban project as opposed to a single tower. Obviously the larger the project, the longer the timeline and therefore tolerance for planning process, favourable as it ultimately was.

As for the new OP policies, were the provincial modifications to Hamilton’s DTSP “nullifying” the limit also reversed? Not that it was going to do much anyway…

Back