20210616_21019_HeroView_V2_low-res-NC2.jpg

That's not just cold.....or dull...........or bad..........it's genuinely stupid.

I don't know how long I would have to work at it to make it quite that bad.

* edit to add; clearly Ed Skira has been piling up a secret stash of renders, waiting for us to stumble onto the developments in question!

Last edited:
The
edit to add; clearly Ed Skira has been piling up a secret stash of renders, wait for us to stumble onto the developments in question!

They literally all showed up this morning in my email.

wow this is terrible, no concept beyond looking like a cheese grater. The overdone protruding balconies are jarring, the relationship between tower and podium is non-existent and the material palette does not look promising (hello 365 church spandrel-window wall-mullion of doom!) .

Nothing really new in terms of details, but here's some commentary on Bazis acquiring this site:

BAZIS has acquired a midtown Toronto strip mall property from an unnamed private vendor in a $37-million off-market deal.

“In my opinion, the vendor probably realized that, with all the development happening in the neighbourhood, this particular asset had outlived its true potential as an investment and the highest value would be achieved through it being sold based on the redevelopment potential,” Lennard Commercial Realty, Brokerage vice-president Vincent King, who brokered the transaction, told RENX in an email interview.

Plans for the Mount Pleasant site

BAZIS representatives declined to be interviewed, but King said “the purchaser probably viewed this property as a great income-producing property in the short term. In the long term, it’s for a high-rise condominium development in one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in the city.”

The Mount Pleasant Road property is zoned Commercial Residential. BAZIS recently submitted a rezoning application to the City of Toronto for a 35-storey mixed-use residential building with a six-storey podium and a seventh-floor indoor and outdoor amenity area.

The proposal is for 398 residential units: 53 bachelors; 180 one-bedrooms; 122 two-bedrooms; and 43 three-bedrooms. It would include space for retail and service tenants at grade as well as parking for 104 motor vehicles and 442 bicycles.

The project is expected to yield a total gross floor area of approximately 311,000 square feet.

Density or urban sprawl..ideally a city should have one or the other. We have both here. Either way you cut it, the developers have more sway in how the "plan" plays out than any elected official.

Back