Jane and Seven will have the biggest traffic gridlock in the city (if it isn't already). Everywhere they've added these dedicated bus lanes along highway 7 the traffic slows to a crawl during much of the day during week days and this is especially true during rush hour (even during covid-19 rush hour). You take Leslie and Seven, add a bunch of 50 & 60 storey condos, a subway terminus and then to top it off....hundreds of trucks and I give you "driving hell!".

Traffic is going to be bad no matter what, but if York Region builds that planned extension of Langstaff over the CN yard, it will take a lot of pressure off of Highway 7. Plus Jane street has clearly been designed to be widened.

The VMC plan also has a bunch of secondary roads to be built to try and shift trips off of Highway 7. They've already built a bunch of them. Once Portage Parkway gets extended to Creditstone Road it should help too.

It's a downtown though, traffic will be bad. It's what comes with high densities.

Also a lot of these new buildings have surprisingly low parking ratios - Transit City 3 has only 1 parking space for every 3 units for example. They aren't going to be generating as many auto trips as you may think.

The smart thing to do to ease traffic problems would be to make a new Highway 7 route farther north. Stouffville Rd. and King St. through Caledon would work.

There are also too many controlled intersections in this area (reminds me of Yonge between 7 and Major Mac). It's really frustrating because it's so unnecessary for every dinky old plaza to have its own lights. I wish they would change the redundant intersections to RIROs and have an access road going through the back of every site/parcel.

There are also too many controlled intersections in this area (reminds me of Yonge between 7 and Major Mac). It's really frustrating because it's so unnecessary for every dinky old plaza to have its own lights. I wish they would change the redundant intersections to RIROs and have an access road going through the back of every site/parcel.
boooo this isn't 1965.

The smart thing to do to ease traffic problems would be to make a new Highway 7 route farther north. Stouffville Rd. and King St. through Caledon would work.

I don't think that would divert much traffic. I don't imagine a ton of traffic on Highway 7 is intra-regional, mostly traffic moving from the 400 inwards towards destinations in Vaughan and Richmond Hill.

Except for the grass boulevard.

Talk to York Region on that one. They have a huge right of way requirement for Jane Street, even wider than what is really needed to widen it to 6 lanes.

Because the current arrangement is so conducive to creating a healthy new downtown? Nothing wrong with optimizing traffic flow.
I'm in favour of completing street grids (Portage should continue to Creditstone, Langstaff should have the gap filled, etc), but RIROs are the last thing the area needs, and the traffic lights that serve plazas now will likely serve much larger complexes in the future.

1689348006524.png

Looks like one of those wacky Niagara Falls designs.
The variation of the scallops at the entrances, however, is actually related to the design of the rest of the podium, so that's one big step ahead of the pretenders… but the two towers should be better tied in with that scallop motif, and they should relate better to each other too.

Back