Is Liberty Village full? Residents push back against proposed 43-storey tower

You know I wouldn't say its full..............but...

I would say the additional promised parkland hasn't yet been delivered and the existing is over-taxed; the new E-W road at the south end of the community that would ease congestion hasn't show up either; nor has the West Waterfront LRT; and the streetscape in places is clearly over run with sidewalks that are too narrow (see East Liberty Street) has yet to benefit from sidewalk widening.

So while its not 'full' it certainly might feel that way to people waiting on infrastructure year after year without end.

West Waterfront LRT won't be particularly useful for LV (or really for anyone.. but that's another conversation).

The Ontario Line is going to transform access to LV.

Unfortunately the City needs to line up funding for the south road, which now can't be completed until the OL is open. At the pace the City moves though, they need to be moving on that today. It'll likely otherwise end up like Eglinton Connects, where the transit line opens and the city has no funding to do the work afterwards.

I think the real mistake on the eastern side of LV was allowing the two developments on the north side of E Liberty St, immediately west of LV "Park" and directly south of this proposal.
Liberty Place & Liberty On the Park should have been the central green space for the area, and it would have actually been a decent size unlike the current park and the other hodge podge of postage stamps of grass that already exist and are proposed.

You know I wouldn't say its full..............but...

I would say the additional promised parkland hasn't yet been delivered and the existing is over-taxed; the new E-W road at the south end of the community that would ease congestion hasn't show up either; nor has the West Waterfront LRT; and the streetscape in places is clearly over run with sidewalks that are too narrow (see East Liberty Street) has yet to benefit from sidewalk widening.

So while its not 'full' it certainly might feel that way to people waiting on infrastructure year after year without end.
According to Google Maps this is an 8 minute walk from Exhibition GO and therefore will be an 8 minute walk from OL Line 3.

In a city with scant new downtown rentals, it would be a travesty if this isn't built.

According to Google Maps this is an 8 minute walk from Exhibition GO and therefore will be an 8 minute walk from OL Line 3.

In a city with scant new downtown rentals, it would be a travesty if this isn't built.

I don't have any concern that something won't be built here. (which is to say, I expect something to be approved, though whether it looks like the current proposal is TBD)

I merely expressed that the objectors have some sort of point that infrastructure has not kept pace to support the population already present.

There's nothing stopping the City from getting caught up, long before any building here will be finished.

And....this one has been shot down.

Refusal Report to the next meeting of TEYCC:

There are quite a few issues here; but in reading through them, most are quite resolvable.

The City has concerns about heritage.

The City wants a shorter base building (podium) at 4s, rather than 6s, with a shorter first floor to blend w/the existing heritage)

The City has refused the absurd on-site parkland dedication! Woot! (Parks comments - too small, not usable)

The City would like a hair cut here, but will accept high 30s.

The City will accept the separation distance, but needs a limiting distance agreement or any air rights acquired to establish that the distance is secure.

The fact that a tower is being shoehorned onto this site really shows how this neighbourhood has been a planning failure, regardless of whether you think LV is "full". This is one of the few untouched heritage buildings in the area that could be incorporated into a park or used as community centre or event space. It doesn't take much vision.

How about they build a tower on the parking lot just west of here, or better yet, redevelop the Metro to include a tower above and convert the parking lot and this heritage building into a contiguous park? I realize this isn't how development works, particularly at this late stage, but Plaza, Arcadis, and Lifetime (the original developers) really screwed this 'hood hard.

I'm not sure this can be fixed, but if I lived in LV, I certainly wouldn't want this development to be built, even just out of spite.

And....this one has been shot down.

Refusal Report to the next meeting of TEYCC:

There are quite a few issues here; but in reading through them, most are quite resolvable.

The City has concerns about heritage.

The City wants a shorter base building (podium) at 4s, rather than 6s, with a shorter first floor to blend w/the existing heritage)

The City has refused the absurd on-site parkland dedication! Woot! (Parks comments - too small, not usable)

The City would like a hair cut here, but will accept high 30s.

The City will accept the separation distance, but needs a limiting distance agreement or any air rights acquired to establish that the distance is secure.

Must be wild for city planners to say "No" to their former boss lol.

The fact that a tower is being shoehorned onto this site really shows how this neighbourhood has been a planning failure, regardless of whether you think LV is "full". This is one of the few untouched heritage buildings in the area that could be incorporated into a park or used as community centre or event space. It doesn't take much vision.

How about they build a tower on the parking lot just west of here, or better yet, redevelop the Metro to include a tower above and convert the parking lot and this heritage building into a contiguous park? I realize this isn't how development works, particularly at this late stage, but Plaza, Arcadis, and Lifetime (the original developers) really screwed this 'hood hard.

I'm not sure this can be fixed, but if I lived in LV, I certainly wouldn't want this development to be built, even just out of spite.

Agreed. Neighbourhoods like LV need champions to advocate for like parks, schools and rec centres, and other community amenities. I suspect that many LV residents see their neighbourhood as a short-term stay, with plans to 'move up" in the near future, so are less likely to invest significant time advocating for improved amenities and services. Same thing with Humber Bay Shores further west.

It is RIDICULOUS the amount of current and future development planned in Humber Bay Shores/Mr. Christie Lands and there is no school or community centre secured.

Last edited:
Must be wild for city planners to say "No" to their former boss lol.

The former boss' site up on Bayview (Tyndale) certainly got a rough ride (I would argue deservedly); they exited their Sumach proposal, now there's this one.

The other 2 that have Markee in the title pre-date her involvement.

So not an auspicious start, really.

Back