As someone who has spent most of my career in cartography, I'm always intrigued to see elements of mapping manifested in our built environment. The public art at The Berczy is one of those places, where water-cut rock layers are laid one atop the other to recreate the below-surface topography of Lake Ontario, recalling that where The Berczy was built is the original shoreline of the lake. Here, I wonder what the contour lines refer to, or if they are simply random.

Progressing quickly. I wonder if it will wrap around the corner a bit.

20180319_211519_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20180319_211519_HDR.jpg
    20180319_211519_HDR.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 499
Pretty awesome if you ask me. Adds some much needed texture to the streetscape.

A Toronto trend that I abhor is the low standard for the 'public art requirement' for most projects. It's always some cheap token or flourish, similar to these 'spirals,' as opposed to something very radical in shape or character. It is lipstick on a pig. Everything else about the tower is mediocre.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more large works of art incorporated into the facades of buildings--not paintings that will fade over the time but artwork like this piece that becomes an architectural feature.

This thing is a mess. The tower portion is too busy and the articulation is all wrong. Contrast is sorely needed along with less detail.

Back