20110605052.jpg

Black Stig!

Hello drum118 - thank you for sharing your photos! Some quite excellent views. I was wondering where you heard that there will be no retail where the new steel is as I had heard differently. Is that based on your own conclusions from your investigations or is that coming from the developer?

Cheers

Spoke with one of the on-site honchos and he said that it's nothing more than a decorative wall (he also referred it to be landscaping) which will be set in precast. All retail will be along Hurontario.

20110607069.jpg

Last edited:
For the last few months, the baloney railing have not been finish off on tower D let alone started on Tower and I saw the reason for it. They are changing the existing railing. As I got near the towers, I noticed there were missing glass on various floors as well barriers covering up these spots. At first I though the glass got broken based on the number of storms we had lately, but turns out that not the case.

Metal strip about 6’’ wide have been place at various spacing around the various floors, running on an angle going up the building. Adding this strips most likely has caused a number of panels of glass to be removed to the point a smaller section is needed where the missing panels are located at this time. I have never been impress with these baloney railing from day one as they do not enhance the building in the first place like they were supposed to. I guess this change is to resolve that issue, but I don’t see that at this time.

I expect to see a totally different railing system on Tower E when they start installing it.

The balcony railings were never intended to be the same on both buildings.

From the beginning, #4 had a consistently colored railing with those vertical accents that accentuate the twist of the tower as they make their way up. Also from the beginning, #5 was going to have 2-tone balcony railings where some of the panels had a "wave" shape between the two tones, and this too would wind its way around to accentuate the curves of the building.

Check out the rendering below, as well as the model. See how the glass on #5 has some lighter colored glass that has a "wave" look to it as it goes around the building? Those waves will follow the curved lines of the building also.

1545772.jpg
3624079_orig.jpg

I've been saying for some time now that while #4 has more drastic curves, #5 will be the nicer looking of the 2 buildings once complete.

Good article about the construction of Absolute:

Increasingly complex designs, tight deadlines and higher tolerances are pushing equipment suppliers to develop more sophisticated, and more user-friendly products for the concrete construction sector.

63681_156_preview.jpg

Complex designs, be they for tower blocks or road layouts, make for challenging construction projects, and contractors are increasingly looking to equipment suppliers to help overcome not only the technical challenges they are presented with, but also demands for increased quality and fast construction cycles.

A good example of this type of partnership is the Absolute World City Center in Mississauga, Canada, where Peri has supplied its RCS climbing protection panel formwork system to the complicated build. The 170 m high south tower and 150 m north tower both twist as they climb, with constant rotation on the north tower, and varying changes between floors on the south tower, which makes for a complicated construction project.

Due to the different rotations by different degrees at different levels, Peri developed two unusual climbing methods from standard, modular components adapted to suit the project requirements and building geometry.

The 170 m Absolute Tower South has an elliptical ground plan and rotates by 208° over the course of its 56 floors, with twists of between 3° and 8° from storey to storey. During construction, Peri's RCS climbing panel completely encloses the uppermost three floors to ensure a safe environment, and the system also climbs independent of cranes, thanks to the company's hydraulic self-climbing system.

Construction of the 150 m high, 50-storey north tower began a few months after the south, and presented a slightly simpler challenge thanks to its constant 4° per floor twist. For this elliptical building, Peri designed a cost-effective variant of its RCS system.

The general contractor on the scheme is Dominus Construction from nearby Toronto, and the structural contractor, Premform Limited, is also from the same city.

Complete article (w/ other projects): http://www.khl.com/magazines/international-construction/detail/item63680

Speaking of the article posted by Chisel, the short story in non-technical terms is that with Absolute, local contractors are gaining the knowledge and experience in more sophisticated high-rise construction, specifically in constructing the concrete frame of buildings with aggressive twists in the design. Thus, with more experienced contractors it may be possible to build more sophisticated buildings cheaper, and even to export these skills to other cities for their advanced projects. With the growth of exports, we can import new things for even more advanced construction. Therein lies some of the potential for economic development through advanced architecture.

Ya, that's really great! Means that developers will have the people and tools available for more sophisticated design.

I can't believe there is still no balcony glass installed on the second tower!

Stunning as always. I can't wait to see some interior shots.
I am hoping this will set a good precident for progressive design in the city.

when you're on the 427 southbound in/around the QEW, i find it FREAKING EPIC when you turn your head in one direction (left), and see the metropolis that is Toronto, and then you turn your head in the opposite direction (right), and see a massive-looking Mississauga skyline. it's like a megacity. it's crazy. especially on a smoggy day when things are blurred, everything just looks bigger and better. And Absolute just makes the view for me, it takes Mississauga/the view from the 427 to a whole new level.
though Mississauga isn't as pretty in Jasonzed's pic ^^^ (nothing to do with his pic), absolute looks very much out of place lol. but with future development, this area will be awesome.

Back