11 October 2009 photo update

It shall be a pleasure to view these towers from here in about a year:

dsc09580.jpg

(To the left of the 3 towers above the QEW sign)

some pics from today...

MCCOct18009.jpg

MCCOct18008.jpg

MCCOct18011a.jpg

MCCOct18007a.jpg

MCCOct18001a.jpg

"To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn"

Seriously though, nice to see some real turning now. Is the north tower above ground yet?

"To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn"

Seriously though, nice to see some real turning now. Is the north tower above ground yet?
Yes, it's above ground - you can see it in the foreground of the last picture - though the townhomes seem to be getting some priority. Drove by yesterday and was surprised at how close they push out towards the street - though the construction hording might be playing visual tricks.

Hopefully these pictures put to rest the silly (and inanely repeated) claims by some that it's only the balconies that twist. You can clearly see that the floor plates are not alike and that from some angles the building appears to get wider while from others, narrower. The most pronounced twists will occur from late November to late February, maybe into March.

Where else would it come from!@?

well tradionally cities developed organically, density existed from the very beginning and as technology permitted, the density climbed skyward. Its the comparison of a 250 year old city like Toronto vs. a 40 year old famers field like MCC!

Tuscani, here's one more pic showing the first floor of the north tower...well on its way now....

MCCOct18002.jpg

density existed from the very beginning
It was a rhetorical question, but that was funny. Did God just snap his fingers, or did that density at one point grow from nothing also?

I completely get what you mean, BTW, but places don't always grow organically any more. That same technology you referred to allows cities in fast growing places to seemingly to pop up from nowhere (see China).

That's sorta the point - it's silly to judge a city that is 40 years old by standards that were set by cities 250 years old. Do Torontonians like receiving patronizing comments from Parisians or Londoners? New Yorkers?

That's sorta the point - it's silly to judge a city that is 40 years old by standards that were set by cities 250 years old. Do Torontonians like receiving patronizing comments from Parisians or Londoners? New Yorkers?

I agree. I recall being in Milan in 1991 and an older gentleman made patronizing comments to me about Toronto and it not having any history. I wasn't very pleased. Everything must start from somewhere and at some time and will develop in the context of that time and thereafter. MCC and Absolute are each moving forward precisely in the context of Mississauga's 50 year plus history and what "we" want now for MCC generally and any particlar development therein. Absolute is building tall, using novel (for MCC and most elsewhere in the GTA) architecture and is also helping to build more of a street level streetscape with the townhouses (not that I'd want to live in them on that busy corner of very wide streets, but with dedicated lane streetcar-type transit, it would become much more charming). All good.

I'm not a Mississauga basher at all. If anything Ive applauded Miss. for having the guts to build these two towers while Toronto seems to be filling up with cookie cutter glass boxes.

But keep in mind there is a difference between organic density and master-planned density. We build differently now than we did 250 years ago and differently than we did 1000 years ago. Personally I appreciate older history and organically evolved cities. I would (and often do) spend days in Toronto just walking around for the enjoyment of it - I cant say that Ive ever done the same in MCC. Having said that, Mississauga seems to be making a lot of good decisions and getting some significant development around MCC. Its all an improvement and can only get better moving forward.

I agree. I recall being in Milan in 1991 and an older gentleman made patronizing comments to me about Toronto and it not having any history. I wasn't very pleased.

Don't put him on a pedestal just because he was from Milan. In practice, he'd probably be like a *Torontonian* making patronizing comments about his own place having no history...

working on the 20th floor....pic by Jasonzed at SSC...

20091024081.jpg

Back