fullsizeoutput_3082.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3083.jpeg

DSC04111.JPG

DSC04114.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3084.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3085.jpeg

DSC04118.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3087.jpeg

After specifically telling UT that Ace was not involved, Zinc/Alterra have announced that this is the first Ace in Canada. Sigh.

Last edited:
After specifically telling UT that Ace was not involved, Zinc/Alterra have announced that this is the first Ace in Canada. Sigh.

Officially on their website as well.

I was admiring the brick today and struck up a conversation with a project manager. I asked him what the building was going to be, playing dumb. He said: "Ace Hotel".

I know there have been a lot of denials but when the city calls it Ace Hotel in documents, when the BIA calls it Ace hotel in meetings and newsletters and when the project manager on site calls it Ace Hotel, I think we can safely set aside denials from the developer.

Half of me really hopes it will be the Ace Hotel. The other half is ready for a good laugh, however.

I guess you got one half of your wishes.

9F582580-0307-4C8A-AB2C-9D4505A55168.jpeg

Attachments

• BB22E98A-D3EF-4E6F-98D9-6802A952F97C.png
    BB22E98A-D3EF-4E6F-98D9-6802A952F97C.png
    607.6 KB · Views: 341
I've been to a few Aces in the States - overall pretty good. They're best known for renovating old buildings so it's a bit of a shame this has to be a brand new build. Most intrigued as to what they'll charge, especially with some other pretty well-known and quality boutique hotels in the city.

I've been to a few Aces in the States - overall pretty good. They're best known for renovating old buildings so it's a bit of a shame this has to be a brand new build. Most intrigued as to what they'll charge, especially with some other pretty well-known and quality boutique hotels in the city.
Hmm, so is this restaurant space part of the shame?!
fullsizeoutput_3083-jpeg.211314

Photo by @Red Mars

This is Ace's very first new build apparently.

Well, if we could use the term “renovation“ loosely, they did replace an old brick building that was nothing to cry over and built a brick building that is beautifully detailed as if it were an old brick building that has been renovated.

Should note, I don't think this is a bad build. This looks to be a really interesting set up (@interchange42 especially those columns in the restaurant space). More noting that they typically go the Broadview Hotel route (Pittsburgh is an old YMCA, Palm Springs previously a Howard Johnson built in the 50s and LA in a beautiful old hotel). I've just found their renovations a lovely way of working with the history of the new city but adding their own touch. Regardless - excited to see this progress now knowing they're attached.

Should note, I don't think this is a bad build. This looks to be a really interesting set up (@interchange42 especially those columns in the restaurant space). More noting that they typically go the Broadview Hotel route (Pittsburgh is an old YMCA, Palm Springs previously a Howard Johnson built in the 50s and LA in a beautiful old hotel). I've just found their renovations a lovely way of working with the history of the new city but adding their own touch. Regardless - excited to see this progress now knowing they're attached.
Fair enough: we seem to have such a limited supply of older buildings to fix up. Same MO for W Hotels normally, so it's kind of funny that they'll be opening at the Hudson Bay Centre in the old Marriott there as yes, it's still a reno, but it's not the age or style of building one would expect them to go into. And where and when will we get our Standard Hotel?

Fair enough: we seem to have such a limited supply of older buildings to fix up. Same MO for W Hotels normally, so it's kind of funny that they'll be opening at the Hudson Bay Centre in the old Marriott there as yes, it's still a reno, but it's not the age or style of building one would expect them to go into. And where and when will we get our Standard Hotel?

So many of these popping up. The Hoxton is another one I'm surprised hasn't ventured into Toronto. I suppose one city can only support so many expensive boutique hotels though!

Back