Stunning wood. We need more of that in Toronto but I find the colour of the wood doesn’t go perfectly with that colour red. .
knowing shim-sutcliffe, they are probably going to want that wood to patina to a silvery grey. could be wrong.

also, am i mistaken, or did a large cantilevering canopy above the main entrance get VE'd out of this project? or if it's yet to be installed, i'm not sure how. The rough-in steel for the cantilever would have to go in well before finishing materials..

also, am i mistaken, or did a large cantilevering canopy above the main entrance get VE'd out of this project?
AD9F68B8-5E26-46B5-A20C-6DDB9D4A1166_1_201_a.jpeg
Pretty sure those spires are the supporting structure for said canopy. Looks like a different design than the render but also looks like it’ll cover more of the entrance than the render.

...I would pay for a meal there just to look at the board formed supports...if they let me. <3

I find this subterranean space a little gloomy for a dining experience. It's architecturally stunning, but it does evoke a brutalist space reminiscent of a certain university library that brings back horrific memories of final exams and all nighters. Maybe that's just me though. I also trust Alo will do a good job so will have to wait and see it in person, and see if it triggers a panic attack or not 🤣

I find this subterranean space a little gloomy for a dining experience. It's architecturally stunning, but it does evoke a brutalist space reminiscent of a certain university library that brings back horrific memories of final exams and all nighters. Maybe that's just me though. I also trust Alo will do a good job so will have to wait and see it in person, and see if it triggers a panic attack or not 🤣
I was reminded of the college buildings and Scott Library at York.

I had the exact same thought that it reminded me of York (only it looks more hip - which seems like an statement that can not be true in both instances- but somehow I think it is).

Last edited:
It's funny you mention that, because I love this structure for the exact reasons you dislike it! It reminds me so much of brutalist univeristy libraries; especially Scott, but also Weldon, Robarts, etc.

It's rare that we see this level architectural detail here in Toronto, and it's very refreshing and satisfying. The restaurant interior should be a stunning space, though the night lighting will be an important consideration to achieve warmth and intimacy but also to make the architectural features visible in the the dark.

It's exciting, too, that we're looking at local design in this project. We didn't need to get a big-name British, French, or American architect to get such great design, and that's fantastic. We need to invest more into our local design culture. It can make our city a better place to live, and it can generate great economic returns as other cities and people seek out our architects' and designers' services.

Back