Meh, it looks neither here nor there. The flat faced facade at the NW corner sticks out in a bad way, and you'd better hope it is curtain and not window walls.

AoD

I'm not keen on this either.

I also remain steadfast in my view, that this site, the Bell Building and all of Hudson's Bay Centre should have been considered together (presumably, but not necessarily under common ownership); a far better site plan could have been achieved; and one which really would have lent itself to a design competition.

Lost opportunities and all that.

I like the horizontally placed arches, nice 60's influences there. Although, I take issue with how it lacks transition towards the glass corner components. Some different materials would have helped flow and resolve it better.

The render conveniently omits the bands of spandrel running across the glassy sections. ?

i'm not a fan of this either. I wish they had gone all the way, if their intent was to produce something funky, especially with colours, materials and building shape (curved corners would've done wonders here). Instead, it looks like your typical glass box with some curved balconies tacked on. The balcony bridging the two sides just looks lazy to me.

The previous rendition with staggered boxes would've aged much better too.

She's...dead...

And yet somehow the firm lives on posthumously.....

And yet somehow the firm lives on posthumously.....

If you want some Patrik Schumacher 'Autopoiesis ' garbage, be my guest...

TBH, I was never a big Zaha fan - both the work and the woman herself (Filler's revelations, while not entirely 'in context', did prove to be revealing and true). Patrik's continuation of her legacy is pretty much par for the course...

If you want some Patrik Schumacher 'Autopoiesis ' garbage, be my guest...

TBH, I was never a big Zaha fan - both the work and the woman herself (Filler's revelations, while not entirely 'in context', did prove to be revealing and true). Patrik's continuation of her legacy is pretty much par for the course...

Filler and Hadid settled and he issued a retraction, but I agree that her work was kind of meh. The only reason I bring her up in this thread is because the semicircle balcony treatment seen here is dangerously close to her recently completed highline building, though with none of the detailing present.

Yes, but the retraction was pretty focused and the settlement was never publicized (and included a donation - eg. there was some 'guilt'), while the initial NYRB article spoke to more than just the Qatari stadium worker comments.

I do agree with @DavidCapizzano's assessment - it certainly does look like a Zaha rip!

Back