You're referring to the 2nd Ave. subway no? The 3 stop stubway that's costing $4.5 billion? The stubway that'll have virtually no effect on reducing traffic on the Lexington IRT until it's extended 13 more stops, at the cost of $17 billion? The subway that was planned back in 1919 and is the epitome of New York's "all talk, no action" approach to subway building in Manhattan since the Great Depression? The very epitome of what you are criticizing Toronto for right now?

Do you ever stop to think before you write? Or is it just polished, Trumpian stream-of-consciousness?

Also, there are multiple transit expansion projects currently under construction and more in the design phase in the GTA.

Also, there are multiple transit expansion projects currently under construction and more in the design phase in the GTA.

I was considering name-dropping all the transit projects I could think of but I can't tell how many times I've seen a discussion of these projects turn into a slapfight about how "that's not rapid transit!" or "well yeah, its underground but its not really! a subway." Calling out the ridiculousness of calling the 2nd Ave subway an example of NYC having the foresight to build transit was more than enough lol

I was considering name-dropping all the transit projects I could think of but I can't tell how many times I've seen a discussion of these projects turn into a slapfight about how "that's not rapid transit!" or "well yeah, its underground but its not really! a subway." Calling out the ridiculousness of calling the 2nd Ave subway an example of NYC having the foresight to build transit was more than enough lol

Yes. Also, having just moved to Toronto from NYC, I can say safely that people there HATE the 2nd Ave. subway project.

And, to bring this back on-topic, this building looks great.

You're referring to the 2nd Ave. subway no? The 3 stop stubway that's costing $4.5 billion? The stubway that'll have virtually no effect on reducing traffic on the Lexington IRT until it's extended 13 more stops, at the cost of $17 billion? The subway that was planned back in 1919 and is the epitome of New York's "all talk, no action" approach to subway building in Manhattan since the Great Depression? The very epitome of what you are criticizing Toronto for right now?

Do you ever stop to think before you write? Or is it just polished, Trumpian stream-of-consciousness?

Wow, thanks for your narcissistic, over the top response. If you look back, all I provided was a comment on the fact that New York, which already has an extensive subway
system, is still building while here we continue to talk about building subways.

Your response did't require the sarcastic comment "Do you ever stop to think before you write? Or is it just polished, Trumpian stream-of-consciousness?"
Or are unable to comment on posts without making it personal and unprofessional? Grow up.

Wow, thanks for your narcissistic, over the top response. If you look back, all I provided was a comment on the fact that New York, which already has an extensive subway
system, is still building while here we continue to talk about building subways.

Your response did't require the sarcastic comment "Do you ever stop to think before you write? Or is it just polished, Trumpian stream-of-consciousness?"
Or are unable to comment on posts without making it personal and unprofessional? Grow up.

(but we are literally building a subway and more)

Toronto is currently building two subway lines; an extension of the Yonge-University-Spadina Line and the Eglinton Line. You've got awfully strong opinions for someone who is clearly completely ignorant on the subject, and that certainly reminds me of a certain American president-elect.

Toronto is currently building two subway lines; an extension of the Yonge-University-Spadina Line and the Eglinton Line. You've got awfully strong opinions for someone who is clearly completely ignorant on the subject, and that certainly reminds me of a certain American president-elect.

...and $165M-worth of planning on the Relief Line is also underway. Plus GO expansion and electrification.

Putting aside the veracity of the claims for a moment - there is nothing narcissistic at all about responding to a post that was made what, 9 months ago on a topic that has little to do with the thread, much less anything to do with the new information in the thread which everyone else is responding to.

AoD

Last edited:

New York City has only added 29 new stations since the completion of the Sixth Avenue IND Line in 1940.

more underground transit is under construction in Toronto right now than the rest of Canada and the US combined in terms of length IIRC.

There are actually only a few active subway projects in the US and Canada right now.

1. Los Angeles Purple line extension (6.3km)
2. Los Angeles Regional Connector (3km)
3. San Fransisco Central Subway (2.7km)
4. New York Second Avenue Subway (3.2km)
Total: 15.2km

Toronto:
Spadina Subway Extension (8.6km)
Eglinton Crosstown (9km)
Total: 17.6km

More rapid transit is being built overall in North America than Toronto, as then you include the Washington Silver line extension which is entirely above ground as well as the Honolulu Rapid transit line being built which is really long, but again, all above ground.

edit: Ottawan corrected me, Ottawa counts too, and I unfortunately forgot it. Toronto is building *slightly* less than the rest of North America combined.

Last edited:
more underground transit is under construction in Toronto right now than the rest of Canada and the US combined in terms of length IIRC.

There are actually only a few active subway projects in the US and Canada right now.

1. Los Angeles Purple line extension (6.3km)
2. Los Angeles Regional Connector (3km)
3. San Fransisco Central Subway (2.7km)
4. New York Second Avenue Subway (3.2km)
Total: 15.2km

Toronto:
Spadina Subway Extension (8.6km)
Eglinton Crosstown (9km)
Total: 17.6km

More rapid transit is being built overall in North America than Toronto, as then you include the Washington Silver line extension which is entirely above ground as well as the Honolulu Rapid transit line being built which is really long, but again, all above ground.

Well if you're combining the rest of Canada and the US, then you'll need to include Ottawa's Confederation Line LRT, which is 12.5 km long, 3.2 km of which is tunnelled. That brings the rest of Canada and US total to 18.4, or slightly longer than Toronto's total.

Impressive, but like Salsa said, I don't think the podium is an improvement and unfortunately that is what we will be interacting with as pedestrians.

I think you guys are getting too hung up about the podium at this point. It's barely detailed at all, and looks to be a space-holder for the time being.

Back