1) I don't disagree that the architectural goal of reflecting the interior on the exterior is laudable, but I think it's so seldom achieved in condo towers (anywhere) that I feel it's normally a negligible component of the end result. My experience is that being able to "read" a house on its exterior is a far more reasonable ask of an architect, and my take is that's a detail that some enlightened clients might ask for, but not most.

2) Agreed.

3) Here, everything you're highlighting just adds to the awkward. This building isn't a little bit awkward, it's really awkward. Like awkward to the point where it amuses me. When that's the intention, as I am certain it is here, I have some not-too-grudging respect for the balls it takes to propose and build that. (When it's unintentional, it typically just results in something awful by any measure.) I'd never call this building beautiful, but I'm warm to its form anyway.

I don't mind the form, in all its weird and awkward glory. What bothers me about this is the materials: window wall, grey spandrel, and off-white precast. This one just got value-engineered a bit too far. The curtain wall cube on the lake side redeems it a bit, but I think it would have looked infinitely better with different cladding on the vertical elements (maybe zinc instead of precast?).

I've heard recently that the material will be used for Aquabella is going to be way better... GRC exterior

I don't mind the form, in all its weird and awkward glory. What bothers me about this is the materials: window wall, grey spandrel, and off-white precast. This one just got value-engineered a bit too far. The curtain wall cube on the lake side redeems it a bit, but I think it would have looked infinitely better with different cladding on the vertical elements (maybe zinc instead of precast?).
The glass at ground level looks good to me (as well as on the cube). I'm glad that the mullions and spandrel are as dark as they are on the window wall portion: it's much better than it would have been were it the typical lighter gray we usually see… The precast doesn't bother me here either: it looks to be a good quality… but, yes, overall the window wall cladding contributes to the awkwardness.
I've heard recently that the material will be used for Aquabella is going to be way better... GRC exterior
…which means Glass Reinforced Concrete. Interesting…

The glass at ground level looks good to me (as well as on the cube). I'm glad that the mullions and spandrel are as dark as they are on the window wall portion: it's much better than it would have been were it the typical lighter gray we usually see… The precast doesn't bother me here either: it looks to be a good quality… but, yes, overall the window wall cladding contributes to the awkwardness.

…which means Glass Reinforced Concrete. Interesting…

Apologies, its GlassFiber reinforced concrete 'GFRC' .

It's said that Aquabella is going to be the highest quality TRIDEL have ever built in regard to materials and technology pursuing Platinum LEED

GFRC and GRC both mean essentially the same thing, with different manufacturers referring to it their own way!

It's suggested in the WTDRP docs, but then again Aqualina was originally proposed to have limestone on it too until x design iterations later, so I wouldn't necessary believe it until I see it.

AoD

Last edited:
All phases, including Aqualina will be Platinum LEED, from my understanding. However, Aquabella's materials and finishes are planned to be on a whole other level. We'll just have to wait and see in 2020 (fingers crossed). It by far is my fav architecture of the three, love 3XN.

This morning.

IMG_3367.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 327
Saturday.

IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3550.JPG