How do terrace people in similar developments go about their business? I keep thinking about all the screens and junk people put out on their balcony for privacy. I think the city should bylaw this building to keep the terraces as clean and pristine as possible (for the rest of our visual benefit)

IMG_3619.jpeg
IMG_3617.jpeg
IMG_3799.jpeg

I still find it hard to believe that they put a road for cars to park on between those buildings and the promenade. What were they thinking?!?
I entirely agree. It's even worse when you realize the road doesn't actually go anywhere (the road behind the buildings already connects the east and west sides). The only reason it exists is to give access to those street parking spots. Which means allllllll that space is there and sits empty so that ~20 street parking spots can exist.

I've been told there was debate when the area was first proposed about whether to have the street. Ultimately it was decided the retail tenants needed the street parking to be viable. Even if that were true, that was 10-15 years ago. With the surrounding developments including the Quayside development (and just the way things trend), the expected density for the immediate area is, I suspect, at least double what was expected back then, so I think that argument is moot now: there will be plenty of people living within walking distance of the retail units that 20 surface parking spots are no longer necessary and would provide less traffic to those retail units than a large, pedestrian-only, destination promenade would.

My secret hope is that there will eventually be interest to extend the Lassonde Art Trail from the Port Lands, across the Equinox bridge, and over to this street, which could be pedestrianized (via planters or bollards if needed to be done on the cheap) and contain outdoor art sculptures down the middle of the street similar to the rest of the Lassonde Art Trail. It'd be a great "starting point" for the art trail and pull pedestrians into the Port Lands.

Last edited:
Jennifer Keesmaat of all people once tweeted to say that they needed the parking for retail. Obviously she doesn't believe that, but that was the party line.

Back