News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Perhaps if the landscaping was replaced by box hedges, I might warm up somewhat. My overall impression of the building is one of "mean-ness", cold, dark interiors, with a forbidding exterior. I like beton brut as much as the next guy, I just don't think is a particularly skillful example of the style.

Perhaps if the landscaping was replaced by box hedges, I might warm up somewhat. My overall impression of the building is one of "mean-ness", cold, dark interiors, with a forbidding exterior. I like beton brut as much as the next guy, I just don't think is a particularly skillful example of the style.

This is true in many ways. Sometimes i take photographs of buildings from this era because they are important and/or beautiful, Scarborough College for instance. Other times i photograph them because they are either paradigmatic of the time, in some good and not so good ways. In other cases, it is just because they are interesting to photograph, or because there is something cinematic about them. In this case, this project struck me as a great location for a dystopian urban thriller. Anyone who's seen Gomorrah the amazing Italian gang film set in the massive brutalist slums of Naples Italy will know how evocative these locations can be.

This is true in many ways. Sometimes i take photographs of buildings from this era because they are important and/or beautiful, Scarborough College for instance. Other times i photograph them because they are either paradigmatic of the time, in some good and not so good ways. In other cases, it is just because they are interesting to photograph, or because there is something cinematic about them. In this case, this project struck me as a great location for a dystopian urban thriller. Anyone who's seen Gomorrah the amazing Italian gang film set in the massive brutalist slums of Naples Italy will know how evocative these locations can be.

It's not clear where this complex is located - Naples?

However, I'm reminded of the Montreal Olympic Village - 1976

Montreal Olympic Village 1976.jpg

Attachments

• Montreal Olympic Village 1976.jpg
    Montreal Olympic Village 1976.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 3,218

Attachments

• 79410741.jpg
    79410741.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3,479
i hadn't seen it before either. i found it on the Bregman and Hamann web site....

http://www.bharchitects.com/en/projects/85#8

Thanks! I've been looking for a picture that shows that view before the Ernst and Young tower was put up over the Stock Exchange.

I've been wondering where those steps down to the concourse actually were, as people mention them as the quickest way to the former TD Centre Cinema.

Thanks! I've been looking for a picture that shows that view before the Ernst and Young tower was put up over the Stock Exchange.

I've been wondering where those steps down to the concourse actually were, as people mention them as the quickest way to the former TD Centre Cinema.
Interesting - I never could quite figure out where the cinema was located.

Interesting - I never could quite figure out where the cinema was located.

I've been curious as well, and poked at this question once in a while.

For background, there's links in this thread to pictures of the cinema entrance and cinema:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/2359-Cdn-Architect-on-Mies-TD-Centre-Cinema
http://telekino.blogspot.ca/2006/02/gone-but-forgotten-td-centre-cinema.html

This is what I have concluded:

The cinema entrance was roughly located where the current TD Investor Centre is in the concourse. There are three sections of space involved in the current TD Centre concourse: the TD Investor Centre, the Path to Commerce Court, and the Printing House. These three take up the space that was the cinema entrance and the steps to Bay Street. (I'm less sure about the Printing House, but it makes sense.)

With the closure of the cinema (1982), and the addition of the E&Y tower over the Stock Exchange (completed 1992), the space was reworked and the path to Commerce Court added.

The cinema itself was below the concourse. That physical space has been divided up into storage rooms, access hallways, etc. The sloped and formed concrete floor is still identifiable as part of a cinema though - the base rows for the seats (without seats) and aisleways can be seen in places.

With the closure of the cinema (1982), and the addition of the E&Y tower over the Stock Exchange (completed 1992), the space was reworked and the path to Commerce Court added.

The stairs were located where the Printing House is - right at the end of the concourse. They were eliminated when the tunnel to Commerce Court was constructed (1982 sounds about right), long before the Ernst and Young Tower was added.

That's an excellent building from the architecture to the finishes and the landscaping. The Europeans seemed to prefer precast concrete panels with aggregate stone to bare concrete for Brutalist cladding, and immigrant professionals brought those tastes and preferences here too. I like the added texture of aggregate stone precast myself. It contrasts nicely with the smooth concrete on the upper level.

Seems early (for Toronto, at least) for those kinds of concrete window surrounds: was the second floor added later?

Lets brush some dust off of this thread.

The TDSB building at 5050 Yonge. Formerly the North York Board of Education. Designed by Mathers & Haldenby, 1970

Shot from today:
TDSB by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Many will recognize this unique Toronto landmark, reflected in a puddle.

City Hall in puddle.jpg

Attachments

• City Hall in puddle.jpg
    City Hall in puddle.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,321
Came across this notice in the Star over the weekend. This gentleman contributed to the TD Centre, discussed often in this thread.

IVAR KALMAR July 31, 1922 - October 1, 2015 Ivar was born in Kuressaare, Estonia and passed away peacefully in Sunnybrook Hospital on October 1, 2015 at age 93. He was the beloved husband of Astrid for 61 years, father of Heidi (Ross) and Hillar (Judy) and Grandpa of Matthew, Jonathan and Elise. Ivar graduated from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in 1947. From 1948-1950 he lived with his family in Sweden and worked as a Draftsman. He then moved to Australia and worked in construction for a few years before immigrating to Canada. Ivar graduated from University of Toronto's School of Architecture in 1953. He then worked for the architectural firms James A. Murray (1953 -1959), John B. Parkin (1959- 1970) and Bregman + Hamann (1970-1992) before retiring. Major projects completed under his responsibility include the original Terminal 1 at Pearson International Airport, all phases of the Toronto-Dominion Centre (including the TD Bank Tower, TD Pavilion, Royal Trust Tower, Union Tower, IBM Tower and Ernst & Young Tower) and the Toronto Eaton Centre. Ivar enjoyed photography, travel, nature and various sports. A memorial service will be held on October 15th at 11 a.m. at St. Peter's Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church, 817 Mt. Pleasant Rd. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to VEMU c/o Tartu College, 310 Bloor St. W., Toronto M5S 1W2.

1216 York Mills Road (1964/65)

This is actually a pair of twin buildings on either side of Sandover Dr (north side of York Mills)

cde4c2.jpg

84df4c.jpg

e3f405.jpg

Pics from walkscore.com

Back